What is a safe investment for a Thai expat?

You could open a bank account in Hong Kong, with say either HSBC, Hang Seng or Bank of China (BOC).

I have an account with BOC. When you open the account you typically get the following opened:

Savings Account.

Checking Account.

Accounts for 10 Currencies, Pound, SGD, Thai B, USD, AUD. You can transfer your money to these account online with no min balance required.

You also get a precious metal account which allows you to trade on Gold, Silver and Plantinum.

Your account also allows you to trade on the HK Stock exchange to buy shares.

You can also buy in to Managed Funds and add amounts any time or on a regular basis.

Your account allows for Forex Trading.

Term deposits, and cross currency term deposits.

ETF can be done also.

Your account you can do online TT (telegraphic transfers) in any currency. Transfer depending on where the account is can be typically done in 12 hours.

Any income you earn in HK, max tax rate is 17%. Note there is no capital gains tax in HK.

If you wanted to, you can set up a HK company and set up all the above for the sole purpose. You can also get the added benefit of not having to reveal the beneficial owner of the HK company! and get deductions and allowance on tax return for the company.

• Like 2

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have to have any ties to your home country. As long as you are not " on the run" you could put your money in a New York based mutual fund which, usually, has modest but fairly safe returns - more safe than anything in Thailand !

every body says don't invest in Thailand ,all i have and lot friends done is loose money ,but one man took one million pounds there ,at exchange rate 76 to the bt ,purchased two cars ,two houses ,now got more money than he went with ,so possible to win with a lot of luck

You could open a bank account in Hong Kong, with say either HSBC, Hang Seng or Bank of China (BOC).

I have an account with BOC. When you open the account you typically get the following opened:

Savings Account.

Checking Account.

Accounts for 10 Currencies, Pound, SGD, Thai B, USD, AUD. You can transfer your money to these account online with no min balance required.

You also get a precious metal account which allows you to trade on Gold, Silver and Plantinum.

You can also buy in to Managed Funds and add amounts any time or on a regular basis.

ETF can be done also.

Your account you can do online TT (telegraphic transfers) in any currency. Transfer depending on where the account is can be typically done in 12 hours.

Any income you earn in HK, max tax rate is 17%. Note there is no capital gains tax in HK.

If you wanted to, you can set up a HK company and set up all the above for the sole purpose. You can also get the added benefit of not having to reveal the beneficial owner of the HK company! and get deductions and allowance on tax return for the company.

for non-residents neither income nor capital gains tax!

• Like 1

Invest in the Internet. Does not require a huge amount and once operating runs mostly by itself

I am looking for a partner I own a New TOP LEVEL DOMAIN Called Thaivisa.Guru Like .com but denotes you are an expert in the field

A real natural domain name

If your interested let me know

Gold ? Gold is usually a good investment, the Thais/Chinese always tend to lean that way with surplus cash.

Just a thought.

Guess you've been sleeping for the past 2 years.

Perhaps he has been awake the previous years? He may be doing better than some.

Savings Account.

Checking Account.

ETF can be done also.

Are you saying that while I am living in Thailand, I can open a bank account with the BOC, get all the aforementioned facilities? If that's true, how can I do It?

I'm wanting to get my money out of Aus Superannuation account and trying to think of a way to bank money in various currencies, and keep away from the ATO while doing It. I tried to open an account In the Philippines once and was refused. Difficult here until I got my retirement visa.

Are you saying that while I am living in Thailand, I can open a bank account with the BOC, get all the aforementioned facilities? If that's true, how can I do It?

I'm wanting to get my money out of Aus Superannuation account and trying to think of a way to bank money in various currencies, and keep away from the ATO while doing It. I tried to open an account In the Philippines once and was refused. Difficult here until I got my retirement visa.

i did not comment on the facilities but on the tax situation.

shadowmaster1971

If you wanted to, you can set up a HK company and set up all the above for the sole purpose. You can also get the added benefit of not having to reveal the beneficial owner of the HK company!

incorrect information, no fairy tales please!

nowadays no corporate bank account without naming natural person(s) beneficial owner(s) in a civilised jurisdiction anywhere on this planet. tax evaders, money launderes and last not least U.S. citizen/persons would happily jump on it. exceptions are publicly listed corporations.

• Like 1

How old are you?

How much do you need to live on per year?

Do you have any other income?

I'm 55 years old - my family generally lives into the late 80s.

I need very little to live on. I don't smoke, drink little, don't frequent bars, don't have a gambling or drug addiction etc. I enjoy my own company and a simple life. My personal expenses are no more than 20,000 baht a month

I have my hotel income, typically about 8,000 USD per month, (so substantially more than my living expenses). I earn an extra 2,000 GBP when I work as a teacher/Headmaster outside of Thailand, (which I do regularly because I am bat-bored sitting in my hotel all day).

So you see, what I earn is substantially more than what I either require or want. I do have 4 kids and intend to leave any savings to them in equal share. My 3 ex-wives, who have excelled at greed and selfishness, will not receive one baht...... smile.png

My idea of 'something to do' with my income would be to invest say 50% in an 'interesting' (???) but safe investment, and use the rest for philanthropic purposes. (I used to run a philanthropic website with the tagline 'a little extra can go a long way' ==> a little help or investment can make a major change in the life of someone who has little or nothing).

Knowledge is often found in unusual places. Though what you say here (especially your closing.) You know what to do and how to do it. When it isn't broken, no need to fix it. Stay the course. Best of luck.

shadowmaster1971

If you wanted to, you can set up a HK company and set up all the above for the sole purpose. You can also get the added benefit of not having to reveal the beneficial owner of the HK company!

nowadays no corporate bank account without naming natural person(s) beneficial owner(s) in a civilised jurisdiction anywhere on this planet. tax evaders, money launderes and last not least U.S. citizen/persons would happily jump on it. exceptions are publicly listed corporations.

I understand, Naam...I suppose the question was also to Shadowmaster1971, as he has the mentioned Bank account.

Gold is certainly an answer, but bullion is difficult to leverage,

look at shares.

AEM

ABX

IAG

EXK

there is interest from China in NEM and ABX, and surely, with a rise over $1,350, the bull market will reignite

many pay dividends

IAG cut its dividend two years ago but with a rise over $1,400 per ounce, that will be reinstated.

shares are the way to go and are very close to their 10 yer lows

Gold and silver throughout history have always retained some value. They have never gone to zero like many other investments. Land, which also will always have some value no matter what happens with the markets it isn't easily portable or divisible. Gold and silver are money and protection against inflation which is happening with all fiat currencies. Precious metal prices have been manipulated down to protect the money printing by all central banks. Eventually, they will destroy the value of paper money since none of them are backed by anything real. Fiat relies on promises and trust. When confidence in paper is broken down it will be game over and precious metals along with other commodities will explode upward. Gold and silver are insurance not investments. Mining shares will go up when gold and silver rise in value but they will be valued and exchanged with paper money. 10 to 50% of your savings in physical precious metals will allow you to weather the storm that is coming. No one can say when this will happen but happen it must. Every fiat currency throughout history has failed (almost 600 to date) and dollars, pounds, euros, yen.... won't be spared. Mining Royalties may be more secure than mining shares and any fund not backed by physical metal will be wiped out when demand for metal explodes. GLD and SLV are leveraged by atleast 100 to 1 and won't deliver metal unless you have a minimum of 1,000,000 invested. When delivery of metal to a major buyer (China, India, Russia ) is delayed because of lack of supply the end of manipulation will be here. For info on the metals market, manipulation and currencies check out milesfranklin.com. It's free. Good Luck!

• Like 1

How old are you?

I need very little to live on. I don't smoke, drink little, don't frequent bars, don't have a gambling or drug addiction etc. I enjoy my own company and a simple life. My personal expenses are no more than 20,000 baht a month

I have my hotel income, typically about 8,000 USD per month, (so substantially more than my living expenses). I earn an extra 2,000 GBP when I work as a teacher/Headmaster outside of Thailand, (which I do regularly because I am bat-bored sitting in my hotel all day).

So you see, what I earn is substantially more than what I either require or want. I do have 4 kids and intend to leave any savings to them in equal share. My 3 ex-wives, who have excelled at greed and selfishness, will not receive one baht...... smile.png

My idea of 'something to do' with my income would be to invest say 50% in an 'interesting' (???) but safe investment, and use the rest for philanthropic purposes. (I used to run a philanthropic website with the tagline 'a little extra can go a long way' ==> a little help or investment can make a major change in the life of someone who has little or nothing).

Knowledge is often found in unusual places. Though what you say here (especially your closing.) You know what to do and how to do it. When it isn't broken, no need to fix it. Stay the course. Best of luck.
I suggest u buy a apartment/condo and move out of the hotel unless u staying in your own hotel but still

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Simon

You should continue with the industry you do best in.

I recommend property funds to you.

These funds invest in hotels, buildings, such as the world trade center, office buildings, department stores, etc. Their income is primarily from the rent and their fees are basically just renovation and maintenance which is very low.

A few pick up from the top of my head,

POPF

CPNCG
CPNRF

MJLF

The hotels I will not recommend to you now, because of the recent crisis, their performance has been very low. I have bought the Marriot hotels, and it gave 7-8% dividends per year before the political crisis started. I have since sold them, and not yet recommend them yet, because no significant improvements yet. They are goldpf, ctaraf, qhop

All you need to do is open an account with a securities brokerage firm, just like opening a bank account. English service, I think mbket is the best. All the websites and programs are in English, very easy to buy.

These generally yield 5-9% dividends, and you check their performance by their nav each month. So it's certainly more exciting than your bank accounts and could be something you are looking for. They are generally more stable than stocks, less fluctuations, or you could be like me, just buy em and forget about them.

BTSGIF too, for the bts skytrain, they collect the fares from the consumers and spread it to the investors. It's about 5-6% dividend/year now, since the price has gone up.

• Like 1

Consider a broad range of quality stocks on the Thai Stock Exchange.

I have netted 15% upwards per annum on my portfolio over the past 8 years.

You could also consider Stocks in Singapore and Sri Lanka.

Do you have a brokerage account in Singapore?

And how does one open? Can a tourist open one? I'm interested.

If you have experience in hotel business, you can invest in Hotel in Goa (India) or any other business (except agro, retail, energy, real estate)
Why?
There are many reasons:
- foreigner allowed to have 100% of the shares in Indian company (but at least 2 shareholder, both can be foreigners)
You need only 1 Indian director (not shareholder), actually you will need Indian Director anyway who will connect you with locals.
- India's legal system is based on the same principles as in the UK
- English is official language, most of people speak English in Goa.
- Ihuge local market, huge potential of domestic tourism, growing economy, a large number of vacant niches for business

etc
If you want to know more, write me private message.

How old are you?

Sir, I would collaborate with you on concept I have for social network. Currently affiliated with ITF, NGO. Chairman / trustee, After expenses , (business) would use the remainder of proceeds to help keep it funded.

Our family is in good shape though the cotton you describe you're living in may be little higher than ours. I also have very first class connections among Thai people. The object of the game, goodwill, help create opportunities for others less fortunate. Opening another's eyes to opportunities that already exist is also very helpful. The, who, what, why, when, where, = How.

Have good day.

When you have any interest, can supply you with personal email address. Creditable referances.

We have NGO, H.Q.in BKK and UK. International Thai Foundation.

Ex wives. I have heard they can kill the dead.

Only if we let them. That is my reply.

Thank you for your time.

-GP

Gold is certainly an answer, but bullion is difficult to leverage,

look at shares.

AEM

ABX

IAG

EXK

there is interest from China in NEM and ABX, and surely, with a rise over $1,350, the bull market will reignite

many pay dividends

IAG cut its dividend two years ago but with a rise over $1,400 per ounce, that will be reinstated.

shares are the way to go and are very close to their 10 yer lows

Gold and silver throughout history have always retained some value. They have never gone to zero like many other investments. Land, which also will always have some value no matter what happens with the markets it isn't easily portable or divisible. Gold and silver are money and protection against inflation which is happening with all fiat currencies. Precious metal prices have been manipulated down to protect the money printing by all central banks. Eventually, they will destroy the value of paper money since none of them are backed by anything real. Fiat relies on promises and trust. When confidence in paper is broken down it will be game over and precious metals along with other commodities will explode upward. Gold and silver are insurance not investments. Mining shares will go up when gold and silver rise in value but they will be valued and exchanged with paper money. 10 to 50% of your savings in physical precious metals will allow you to weather the storm that is coming. No one can say when this will happen but happen it must. Every fiat currency throughout history has failed (almost 600 to date) and dollars, pounds, euros, yen.... won't be spared. Mining Royalties may be more secure than mining shares and any fund not backed by physical metal will be wiped out when demand for metal explodes. GLD and SLV are leveraged by atleast 100 to 1 and won't deliver metal unless you have a minimum of 1,000,000 invested. When delivery of metal to a major buyer (China, India, Russia ) is delayed because of lack of supply the end of manipulation will be here. For info on the metals market, manipulation and currencies check out milesfranklin.com. It's free. Good Luck!

Very well said POSA!

And Simon never forget: Evers since all currencies come with an expiration date.

The "best before" dates of USD and EUR are long gone by.

• Like 1

Regarding your comment about building another transit hotel and unlikely you cant have too much of a good thing. While at the moment, one may think that cant have too much of a good thing applies, but I would caution against placing all my eggs in one basket. And personally, I would feel a bit uncomfortable doing so.

So, having all transit hotels, or especially all ones centered around one airport is even a greater risk. Yes, it may look good now, but you never know what events might transpire regarding tourism to Phuket or even Thailand, or an airport move, You can look at Don Muang and there were probably many hotels went under or saw business plummet after the main airport moved.

So, while the model may be successful now, there is risk putting all your eggs into one basket, and something to be said for diversification, in type of investment, location of investments, etc. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Savings Account.

Checking Account.

ETF can be done also.

HK income tax is a territorial tax system. You earn income in HK you pay tax, irrespective if you are resident or not.

shadow

Well, it sounds like you want investment opportunities which will also give you some responsibilities. I understand the feeling -- adjusting to doing nothing was difficult. I do not have entrepreneurial talent or a knack for business, so I would never get into this, but a friend of mine from New York, half Thai, who had spent at least part of his grade school years attending Thai schools, was talking to me about one of his ideas several years ago. Bear in mind he spoke the language like a native and had widespread social contacts, although generally not with rich people. He had a business model in mind of providing start-up capital for street vendors. He felt he had the ability to judge their honesty and willingness to work hard (despite what many people post on this board most Thais work very hard). In return for providing the capital for a stall or wagon, gas stove, whatever, he would take a percentage of the vendor's daily profits. The drawback I see to this is the amount of hands on daily supervision you would probably need to do, and if you don't have the language and cultural empathy you might not feel comfortable trusting people. I don't know how regular franchise businesses work that. Might be something to think about, though, and run by your lawyer. I assume from your past activities you have a good Thai lawyer and accountant.

Savings Account.

Checking Account.

ETF can be done also.

To open account say at HSBC , hang Seng or BOC in Hong Kong, you need namely passport, driver licence and something with a proof of address, eg utility bill or bank statement from thailand and attend one of their main branches in Central, Hong Kong. It maybe possible to open the accounts I've mentioned, through their offices in Bangkok, you would need to check with HK office of these banks if that could be done. Also check with Bangkok bank main branch in Bangkok if they can set up accounts at their branch in Central Hong kong, (that's if they offer the same types of accounts I mentioned like for BOC).

As for your query on super, it could be possible, whereby you set up your own super company in oz. That super company opens a bank account in HK, for purpose of investing, with the accounts mentioned above. Any income earnt in HK may only be subject to HK tax rates not oz taxation, because HK/oz have double tax arrangements. However I suggest speak to an accountant in oz about the super issue.

shadow

shadowmaster1971

It's no fairy tale! U can set up a HK company tomorrow in HK, with nominee shareholders and directors (of which one director must be a natural person) , and don't have to disclose who the beneficial owner are. You Need to ensure your power of attorney for the nominees is fairly tight). You could also be employed by the company whereby then you set the position up to control finances.

Another route is setting up a bvi or Seychelles company owning a HK company, can do the same thing of not revealing who beneficial owner is.

shadow

• Like 1

Gold and Silver are the best and have outperformed all other investments in the last 10 years. Gold is more popular in Thailand and SE Asia. Yes, gold was up to $1900/ounce and now down to $1308 or so and what better reason to buy it. You don't buy when it is at its peak, you buy when it has a drop. Look at a chart to see what it did from $200/ounce until now and know that once the manipulaiton ends which is coming near you will see Gold rise again! Buy Gold as it is the only real currency!

Gold and Silver are the best and have outperformed all other investments in the last 10 years. Gold is more popular in Thailand and SE Asia. Yes, gold was up to $1900/ounce and now down to $1308 or so and what better reason to buy it. You don't buy when it is at its peak, you buy when it has a drop. Look at a chart to see what it did from $200/ounce until now and know that once the manipulaiton ends which is coming near you will see Gold rise again! Buy Gold as it is the only real currency!

Right on Johnny!

Get married to wife number 4, that will stop you been bored,

but not so good an investment.

It is no surprise to me that since getting divorced (er... again and again and again..), my financial position has markedly improved. The urge to marry again or shack up with a steady GF is tending to zero smile.png

Much like hitting your thumb with a hammer, after a few times you realize it hurts and you stop doing it... Been there...................

It sounds like you've got some dosh put aside and don't just want to be idle, even though you have the resources to do so... A small business to keep you active might be the trick, but finding something that doesn't encroach on Thais may be difficult... Perhaps some boutique industry that is available in the west, or invest in an on-going business that already shows a return...

Edited by Loptr