Managerial Merry-Go-Round 2014-2015

naboo

Tim Sherwood is the new manager at Aston Villa. Should be interesting, one way or another.

Yes he's a character is Sherwood but he just has to learn to be less gobby. Has to keep his mouth shut a bit more. Frankly, at times his off the cuff comments are embarrassing.

Personally i can't wait to see his array of tactics that only Tim would do! I know he has his admirers on the Spurs thread but i'm not particularily one of them and i suspect many Villa fans will be rather concerned by this appointment, especially with his limited six month managerial experience. However what he will do is focus on the Villa youth and this may have weighed heavily in his favour with Lerner. So a lot may depend on the strength of talent in their academy.

Didn't Lambert focus on youth as well? I remember a couple of seasons ago when the studio judges were talking about 'more experience' being needed in the team and that these youngsters will be better in two seasons. They weren't and Lambert was slung out.

Yes he did but Lambert, but that has nought to do with Sherwood who built a very good reputation for himself with THFC for his work as head of youth development.

don't rate Lambert as a manager and can't understand how he kept his job so long.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If 70% were calling for Poyet to go last week, it's more like 90% now after the horrific performance at Bradford yesterday, which Poyet thought we did our best to win.

The other 10% who don't support sacking Poyet are as deluded as he is.

Four wins in the league all season. Shocking, and the football has been mostly dire.

It is truly criminal how much professional players get paid for such abject performances. Not only at Sunderland, but across the board.

bizare , gets promotion from the 1st and seems to make a bloody good job of it by sitting in and.around the promo and play off

places in the championship. And the reward? one would think a new contract ,but nope warbuton & team at brentford , are getting replaced at the end of the season!!!. on the face of it, Imo.has to go down as one, if not the, most bizare decisions of the season.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

according to the indy, the owner wants to take away warburton's 'final say' on players. in that case seems like he's doing the walking fair play to him.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Tim Sherwood is the new manager at Aston Villa. Should be interesting, one way or another.

Yes he's a character is Sherwood but he just has to learn to be less gobby. Has to keep his mouth shut a bit more. Frankly, at times his off the cuff comments are embarrassing.

Personally i can't wait to see his array of tactics that only Tim would do! I know he has his admirers on the Spurs thread but i'm not particularily one of them and i suspect many Villa fans will be rather concerned by this appointment, especially with his limited six month managerial experience. However what he will do is focus on the Villa youth and this may have weighed heavily in his favour with Lerner. So a lot may depend on the strength of talent in their academy.

Didn't Lambert focus on youth as well? I remember a couple of seasons ago when the studio judges were talking about 'more experience' being needed in the team and that these youngsters will be better in two seasons. They weren't and Lambert was slung out.

Yes he did but Lambert, but that has nought to do with Sherwood who built a very good reputation for himself with THFC for his work as head of youth development.

don't rate Lambert as a manager and can't understand how he kept his job so long.

He did well at Norwich City.

Heard today that Big Sam ain't getting a new contract a West Ham.

A lot of people want it, but I haven't seen anything reliable.

I have issues with him, but can see that he's actually the best manager we've had for a while. I didn't want him originally, but I think it would be a mistake to sack him. Too many WHU fans are deluded by this academy of football mythology, especially those who didn't see how totally shit we often were at times in the past when trying to play like the 1953 Hungarian team.

He'll have his work cut out. Villa's U21's are languishing in 9th from 12 in the U21 Division 2 League and got walloped 0-3 by Derby at home. I did see there's a lad called Cowans in the squad. If he's half as good as Gordon was, he'll be alright.

Before he went to Villa, Lambert was extremely highly regarded as a manager. He did very well at Wycombe, Colchester & Norwich. He got a raw deal at Villa and understandably lost his enthusiasm for the job. If Klopp leaves Borussia Dortmund at the end of the season; I'll back Lambert to take over. He's a hero there from his playing days, he got his UEFA coaching badges in Germany and speaks fluent German.

Before he went to Villa, Lambert was extremely highly regarded as a manager. He did very well at Wycombe, Colchester & Norwich. He got a raw deal at Villa and understandably lost his enthusiasm for the job. If Klopp leaves Borussia Dortmund at the end of the season; I'll back Lambert to take over. He's a hero there from his playing days, he got his UEFA coaching badges in Germany and speaks fluent German.

Not to be unduly critical or sarcastic, but I expect we'll see a pig piloting a Concorde before that happens.wai2.gif

Not to be unduly critical or sarcastic, but I expect we'll see a pig piloting a Concorde before that happens.wai2.gif

Blimey Champers, that's a call and a half ! Not impossible though, given the circumstances.

• 3 weeks later...

Although GP has "owned up" to last night's debacle....IMHO the only thing he was guilty of was not including Connor Whickham in the starting line up....The players themselves were to blame...never seen such a sixth rate performance in many a year. As for Peter Ried...IMHO he was railroaded out because his face didn't fit...even though his performance spoke for itself. SuperKev was a once in a lifetime phenomenon...partnering with Niall Quinn who was also IMHO treated with no respect following the end of his playing career....but that's business I guess. On a completely different note, the rooney / bardsley boxing story made me chuckle....I always liked Phil Bardsley....more so now

Poyet is "hanging by a thread" at Sunderland. A lot of Mackems are calling for the return of Peter Reid. Pity they can't get Kevin Phillips back too.

poyet is done and dusted apparently. but peter reid? good lord.

Poyet was bloody rubbish. Likeable as a pundit perhaps, but the football played under his tenure was mostly awful to watch. Continually set out a plan to defend a 1-0 defeat, never mind a 1-0 win! He was hanging on to be sacked rather than walking. Four wins from 29 this season was terrible. He should have gone weeks ago. His body language has been wrong for ages, and he has clearly been going though the motions waiting to get sacked and paid off.

The players are no better. The entire squad needs overhauling (again) and many of them are Poyet's signings. Bridcutt and Buckley were 2 of the worst that he dragged up from Brighton ... whether Jones, Rodwell, Gomez and Vergini were or not, depends on who you believe picked out the dross that we ended up with last summer.

I cannot think of one player at the club, other than Lee Cattermole who gets plenty of stick for clattering into anything that moves, who deserves the right to play Premier League football next season.

It will take a miracle for this bunch of gutless money pinchers to escape relegation again. Burnley actually deserve to stay up. We do not. We'll go down with a whimper this season. I cannot see us getting more than 3 more points this season - a home win against Newcastle being the only thing to cheer about for the remainder of the season.

Ha'way the lads! beatdeadhorse.gif

yes, always seemed a likable sort did poyet.

harry redknapp is available of course.

Don't know that Poyet had much to work with at Sunderland. He pulled off a miracle to keep them from being relegated last year.

The word on the street is Dick Advocat is taking over till the end of the season

Advocaat doesn't strike me as a coach that would turn things around quickly enough.Martin O Neill at 33-1 is good value.

• 1 month later...

English football is heading for a record number of managerial -sackings this season, according to alarming figures compiled by the country's managers' union.

The League Managers Association's Quarterly Manager Statistics showed more managers were dismissed in the first eight months of 2014-15 than at the same stage of any previous campaign.

The LMA recorded a total of 40 sackings before March 31, four more than the previous record and only six shy of the landmark 46 set at the end of the 2006-07 season.

With three more managers having lost their jobs this month, the LMA expects that to be exceeded in the coming weeks, taking the average tenure of a league manager below the 18-month mark.

The Championship has proven by far the most trigger-happy division this season thanks to 16 managerial dismissals before the end of March.

That is already a record for an entire campaign, with Wigan

Ath-letic's sacking of Malky Mackay this month taking the total to 17 - four more than the previous high of 13 from two years ago.

However, Premier League sackings have dropped from eight to five year?on-year, meaning last season's record total of 12 is unlikely to be surpassed.

The LMA said that the average tenure of a league manager was just 1.57 years, a figure which fell to below a year (0.94) in the Championship.

The Premier League average is 2.27, although that would immediately plummet to 1.34 were Arsene Wenger's 181/2-year stay at Arsenal to come to an end.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/sport/Record-Number-of-English-Managers-Face-Sack-This-Season/2015/04/21/article2775462.ece

Rumours have McLaren going to Newcastle "with immediate effect" and Moyes a shoe in for West Ham next season.

Considering the owner who they will be working for Newcastle fans will be lucky to get any half decent manager

Archived