Bars Trading as usual on Tuesday 12th?

Mobi

According to the 'bar closure web page', the 12th August has been a normal bar trading day for the past 5 years, so I assume its business as usual?

Can anyone confirm please?

Thanks.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from asking around seems even the thai's dont know..walked into 7/11 and asked sorry mister not know...walked into family mart and they have a sign on there fridge saying in thai no sale but did not know what date.

Can anyone confirm what day is no sale of alcohol 

Just got back from asking around seems even the thai's dont know..walked into 7/11 and asked sorry mister not know...walked into family mart and they have a sign on there fridge saying in thai no sale but did not know what date.

Oh dear.

• Like 1

Dry days are usually certain important Big Buddha days and election days. Elections are suspended at present, therefore only religious days remain. Aug 12 has been a normal open day for years and years.

Slightly ironic that the OP appears to be a bar owner.

With all due respect, I'm looking for hard facts, not speculation.

As I said, for the past 5 years in a row there has been no bar closure order on the Queen's birthday.

Look here:

http://www.boomboomme.com/resources/holidays/thailand/

Things may be different this year due to the current political situation, but I would like to know for sure.

Thanks smile.png

Dry days are usually certain important Big Buddha days and election days. Elections are suspended at present, therefore only religious days remain. Aug 12 has been a normal open day for years and years.

Slightly ironic that the OP appears to be a bar owner.

Where's the irony?

I'm simply trying to find out whether we can open or not?

Why try to find out here?

Put a phone call through to your local cop-shop. They will know as they will be the enforcers.

Surprised you didn't think of it yourself.

• Like 2

Why try to find out here?

Put a phone call through to your local cop-shop. They will know as they will be the enforcers.

Surprised you didn't think of it yourself.

In all honesty, he/she may not know yet who is in charge of the bar scene. Some still think they "own" said bars and decide when/if to open, where to buy their liqueur etc.. The Thai's control the booze and the hours and just about everything else including the prostitution and prices.

Where's the irony?

If you come on here, the internet, and an "ex pats" forum, to find out then one might ask how you ever opened a "bar" in the first place. Oh, but that is explained by one VISA Credit Card advance I guess.

Fact is and remains, to respect the Queen and all mothers working around Thailand, you should not open said "bar" on this holiday. To do so is showing a lack of respect for the Royal family and Thai's in general.

Use your common sense mate. Earn some respect and don't open. So what if you lose 300baht in beer sales. Mothers Day is a big deal to the children and the mothers. 

Ha ha ha, I'm not sure what I find the most funny, either that he should close up shop to show 'respect' or that the days taking are only 300 baht, ha ha.

Mobi - I would imagine if it was a dry day the local filth would have informed you by now. By memory I'm quite sure that Mothers day here is a normal drinking day.

• Like 2

Why didn't you just buy your beer and booze while you were there and not worry with it? The fact no one knows is only for farang information. The Thai's know but want to keep you off balance. They will get their beer and booze if they want it. It's not like they sit in overpriced bars like said farangs do. 

Alcohol always prohibited to sales on important Buddhist Holidays as well as His and Her Majesty's Birthday. A midnight before Election Day till the midnight after.

If it does not own a bar but asking for your own consumption. Why don't get it from any convenience store close to you?

If there is any local convenience store (not a minimarts), they jut don't follow this regulation so perhaps you can buy it there.

I don't think only one night of not being able to drink is going to kill you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ha ha ha, I'm not sure what I find the most funny, either that he should close up shop to show 'respect' or that the days taking are only 300 baht, ha ha.

That would represent a good sales day for many beer bars around town, especially if we are talking about on a net basis after the "owners" own drinking and buying of rounds and the amount stolen by the Thai staff.

I don't think only one night of not being able to drink is going to kill you.

You would be surprised mate. Many lives here revolve on being able to drink every day(and night). The obvious solution is to buy a bottle today and drink it tomorrow and not worry about opening or closing of bar(s). We are obviously thinking ahead since it's tomorrow we are talking about. 

Alcohol always prohibited to sales on important Buddhist Holidays as well as His and Her Majesty's Birthday. A midnight before Election Day till the midnight after.

Since many years the King himself has asked that Royal celebrations should not be considered dry days,

There has been no official notice that I know of and, anyway, each municipality seemingly can decide themselves how to act upon any notice if it is given. My advice is unless your local police (municipal or other) have told you differently then you can open as usual. They are usually very late in issuing instructions because they themselves get those instructions at the last minute from higher up.

Where's the irony?

If you come on here, the internet, and an "ex pats" forum, to find out then one might ask how you ever opened a "bar" in the first place. Oh, but that is explained by one VISA Credit Card advance I guess.

Fact is and remains, to respect the Queen and all mothers working around Thailand, you should not open said "bar" on this holiday. To do so is showing a lack of respect for the Royal family and Thai's in general.

Use your common sense mate. Earn some respect and don't open. So what if you lose 300baht in beer sales. Mothers Day is a big deal to the children and the mothers. 

Mobi - I would imagine if it was a dry day the local filth would have informed you by now. By memory I'm quite sure that Mothers day here is a normal drinking day.

You're right, I need to. keep a sense of humour. As stated several times, 12th August has not been a dry day for the past 5 years, so who knows for sure?

There has been no official notice that I know of and, anyway, each municipality seemingly can decide themselves how to act upon any notice if it is given. My advice is unless your local police (municipal or other) have told you differently then you can open as usual. They are usually very late in issuing instructions because they themselves get those instructions at the last minute from higher up.

The trouble is, if we call and ask they'll probably say 'close' just like they did in the Curfew when they told us to close all day....

It seems that if asked, they will give you a negative to cover their backs, because they don't yet know themselves; but if we wait to be told, we'll get the official line.

For those who suggested it, this is why we do not call to ask...

Nothing is as it seems in Thailand.