Italian dies in Phuket big bike smash

webfact

I think the people renting the bikes should be jailed if they are caught renting a big bike to anyone without proper qualification to ride one.A legal requirement to have fully comprehensive and life insurance cover in place.

I think a proper bike licence ( not a joke Thai one ) plus proof you have ridden a big bike,( a photo of your big bike in your yard at home etc)would cut these deaths down massively,if not close to zero. Because a real bike rider just would not get on a bike without protection,pissed,at all hours in the morning and hurl the thing down the road.

The insurance wouldn't pay out if the paper work was not done correctly and diligence by the vender carried out .SO HE WOULD HAVE TO PAY ,THEN GO TO JAIL FOR MANSLAUGHTER.    These two things would stop this situation.   These people are making good profits on over inflated bike prices when things go wrong,and then a death is a payout ,without any problems for them. I would like more detailed information about A,the accident, B,the qualifications of the riders and C who are the dealers.    Who is making money out of this!!!!!     The dealers is the answer. does any dealer renting big bikes to young kids want to debate my thinking? 

So you would come on holiday with photo's of yourself on a "big" bike would you?

Even in UK you don't need comprehensive insurance, so why here?

So you are saying if the company renting the bike out was operating within the Thai law and the renter crashed, the company should be charged with manslaughter? What a completely foolish statement!

Who is making money? The manufacturer and the renting company. They are in business to do this!

I am sure the dealers would love to rip your pathetic argument apart. For one the man was 32!

Why do you think your opinion is of any value?

• Like 1

I think the people renting the bikes should be jailed if they are caught renting a big bike to anyone without proper qualification to ride one.A legal requirement to have fully comprehensive and life insurance cover in place.

I think a proper bike licence ( not a joke Thai one ) plus proof you have ridden a big bike,( a photo of your big bike in your yard at home etc)would cut these deaths down massively,if not close to zero. Because a real bike rider just would not get on a bike without protection,pissed,at all hours in the morning and hurl the thing down the road.

The insurance wouldn't pay out if the paper work was not done correctly and diligence by the vender carried out .SO HE WOULD HAVE TO PAY ,THEN GO TO JAIL FOR MANSLAUGHTER.    These two things would stop this situation.   These people are making good profits on over inflated bike prices when things go wrong,and then a death is a payout ,without any problems for them. I would like more detailed information about A,the accident, B,the qualifications of the riders and C who are the dealers.    Who is making money out of this!!!!!     The dealers is the answer. does any dealer renting big bikes to young kids want to debate my thinking? 

So you would come on holiday with photo's of yourself on a "big" bike would you?

Even in UK you don't need comprehensive insurance, so why here?

So you are saying if the company renting the bike out was operating within the Thai law and the renter crashed, the company should be charged with manslaughter? What a completely foolish statement!

Who is making money? The manufacturer and the renting company. They are in business to do this!

I am sure the dealers would love to rip your pathetic argument apart. For one the man was 32!

Why do you think your opinion is of any value?

And don't forget that here in Thailand he does not want to recognise a Thai motorbike license.

• Like 1

It is so sad, but it happens all over the world. Such a waste of life. And, for the nit pickers worrying about the exact make of bike, why pick on the Thai journalists? I realise Thai bashing seems to be standard behaviour on many of these threads, but it's quite unreasonable. Try reading an English newspaper, or indeed, any other nationality. In any language, journalism is not the honourable profession it claims to be; Journalists are generally not that well educated, contrary to what they'd like you to believe and lastly, remember the old Fleet Street adage... 'Never let the truth get in the way of a good story'.

No crash helmet, it happens all over the world.     Not in Australia, Crash helmets are compulsory and strictly policed.

Edited by oldsailor35
  • Like 1

I ride this road quite regularly, and there are spots where the pavement is quite uneven. On the way down the hill above Le Meridien is a spot I call "the jump" as there is actually a lift in the pavement.

Also just above the Centara going toward Karon is a spot where the shoddy paving is constantly coming apart. RIP.

Strange, but earlier reports said he was driving a red CBR.  Do Thai "news" writers ever bother to actually get the real facts of a story before they sit down at their keyboards?

I know, rhetorical question.

Bearing in mind that the media provides these reports for information purposes, not for a critique on how it was written, how does the make or model affect the report?

Because a red plate indicates privately owned and new ?

The fact is Thailnd is  notorious for  traffic fatalities. Bad roads, bad drivers and lack of enforcement all add up . I only wish tourists were more informed, but then they might choose to go elsewhere

• Like 1

^ Well there's dying because a brake line broke on a 20 yo Toyota,  and then there's dying because some guy needed to take the corner in the wrong lane to make himself  feel macho.

I guess you've never taken any risk in your life?  Must be a bit boring… I've never had a brake line break, even on my '69 VW bus I've had since '71. One must calculate the risk factor for what ever one does. Life's been quite a ride and I've been very at times lucky so far! 

• Like 1

Strange, but earlier reports said he was driving a red CBR.  Do Thai "news" writers ever bother to actually get the real facts of a story before they sit down at their keyboards?

Bearing in mind that the media provides these reports for information purposes, not for a critique on how it was written, how does the make or model affect the report?

The fact is Thailnd is  notorious for  traffic fatalities. Bad roads, bad drivers and lack of enforcement all add up . I only wish tourists were more informed, but then they might choose to go elsewhere

What is your reasoning in your reply here?

The question was  ;  how does the make or model affect the report?

And your reply  ;Because a red plate indicates privately owned and new 

What has" privately owned and new "got to do with make and model?

Red plate indicates new, not 'privately owned'.

How does  either a red plate  or red colour affect the report was the question I answered as the various reports were not  consistent - as usual.

My reasoning was  a new bike " red plate "  could indicate inexperience leading to an accident.

Was the bike red, not pertinent to the accident or the report-

or was the tag red- pertinent to the accident and report

How does  either a red plate  or red colour affect the report was the question I answered as the various reports were not  consistent - as usual.

My reasoning was  a new bike " red plate "  could indicate inexperience leading to an accident.

Was the bike red, not pertinent to the accident or the report-

or was the tag red- pertinent to the accident and report

If you read the thread you will see that the 'red plate' bike was a rental involved in Phuket crash...no bearing at all on experience of the rider

The 'red CBR 'was a crash in Pattaya....

Edited by andreandre