Liquor distributors required to issue graphic warning labels on alcoholic beverages

webfact

Liquor distributors required to issue graphic warning labels on alcoholic beverages

BANGKOK, 11 August 2014 (NNT) - The Public Health Ministry has proposed mandating the use of graphic warnings on all alcoholic beverage bottles. The warnings are to cover at least 25 percent of the bottle surface.

Permanent-Secretary for Public Health Dr. Narong Sahamethapat has disclosed that the Ministry is considering a measure to control the consumption of alcohol, which would then be proposed to the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) for consideration.

According to Dr. Narong, the number of teenagers and women consuming alcohol has been on the rise. 80 percent of all road fatalities have also been linked to alcohol consumption. The ministry is, therefore, determined to seriously tackle this problem to reduce the death toll.

Alcohol companies will be required to place graphic health warnings covering a minimum of 25 percent of the bottles' surface. The warnings must inform consumers of the dangers of alcohol consumption. They must also list the phone number 0-2590-3342, which is a complaint center for cases involving cigarettes and alcohol, as well as the hotline 1422.

[nnt]2014-08-11[/nnt]

• Like 2

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There must be a place for a website that lists the increasingly surreal statements from the Thai government and its agencies. It would be rather large but banned in Thailand.

As others say, enforce the laws that currently exist. That's how the rest of the world does it. Although I'd love to see the look on a tourist's face when he/she is presented with a $15 bottle of red wine, being sold in Thailand for $100, covered in a graphic image of a liver.

According to the Authority (OP), she should not drink.

If we let women drink like the superior gender, they will ask for more.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Make them show the calories..... that will scare people off!

And someone In Authority is worried about teenagers and WOMEN drinking..... That is so pre-sixties....

"... teenagers and women consuming alcohol has been on the rise."

The male contingent already reached 100%.wai2.gif

cheesy.gif  cheesy.gif

• Like 2

There must be a place for a website that lists the increasingly surreal statements from the Thai government and its agencies. It would be rather large but banned in Thailand.

As others say, enforce the laws that currently exist. That's how the rest of the world does it. Although I'd love to see the look on a tourist's face when he/she is presented with a $15 bottle of red wine, being sold in Thailand for $100, covered in a graphic image of a liver.

cheesy.gif clap2.gif  Would TAT be at the top of the list by any chance ?

What's next? All new cars sold have to have images of road victims painted on them?  The scary thing here now is that all these dumb head’s crazy ideas can easily become the law of the land, what happened to "land of the Free" (as Thailand originally means)?

I just googled "Narong".

I suggest other posters do the same.

Thailand slowly turning into a Nanny state,like in the West,

something i tried to get away from. i have a brain, don't need Govt telling what to do.

regards Worgeordie

The government isn't talking to the smart people.  It is talking to the ones who drink and drive and get fall down drunk. 

Not sure if they even believe putting a sticker on the bottle is going to have any effect, but that's what they like to do in Thailand

As always, misleading headline regarding the "proposed" mandates being "considered". 

Newspaper headlines are always misleading, in any country. And Thailand is the hub of misleading newspapers.

However, after googling this Authority's name, I would think that in this particular case there is no difference between 'proposed', 'considered', 'advocated', 'soon to be decreed'.

Unless somebody lost his marbles, while high on power, yes those things happen.

Now google his name.

No problem i always put a cooler

Most people take their beer out of the cooler. There are more alcoholic drinks than those consumed by beer chuggers even those with a beer condom..

I imagine the vineyards of the Bordeaux region will be looking forward to their bottles being decorated with diseased liver photos.

Talk about using a napalm attack to wipe out an ant hill. Meanwhile sales of laokhao will continue to rise as the rice mountain gets reduced. Chokdee.drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

• Like 1

Maybe they should place signs and graphic warnings at the exits of nightclubs, and in parking lots. Like a huge red Ferrari and a dead policeman ???

No, forget that one.... if you have a Ferrari in Thailand, you are rich enough to get of scot-free. bah.gif

• Like 2

something i tried to get away from. i have a brain, don't need Govt telling what to do.

regards Worgeordie

The government isn't talking to the smart people.

Name one. :P

How about a sign over bar doors -

Abandon all hope ye who enter here as it could be hazardous to your health and if you talk to the girls your wallet.  If you have memorised your ATM PIN number unmemorise it FAST.  it's pointless claiming to be gay !

• Like 2

regards Worgeordie

Some are very proud of it and call it "social engineering".

They will have to hire a couple of high class mathematicians to calculate the required 25% of the bottle surface.

Particularly interesting will be the result of bottles like Dimple Whiskey...

It's all "actionism". Nobody really believes that this will make any difference, . All words and hot air, nothing else, especially since:

- alcoholic beverage are mostly consumed from a glass, not from a the bottle

- 75 % of all high spirit alcohol is "kao lao" or illegally distilled alcohol

- a liter of 41% whiskey is still cheaper and lower taxed than a 12% bottle of wine

• Like 2

Phone number and a Hotline number,  can I use it when the shop in the soi is closed and I need to top up my Chang level ?

I  do know a shop that serves 24/7/365 but it means driving there under the affluence of inkahol. 

The original draft contained regulations to protect children, or so they were positioned. Truth is that the local producers are lobbying to constrain international brands despite having almost total dominance of the market. Expect to see water products used as a get out of jail free card

Sent from my D2004 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app