How much Thai currency can you carry into Thailand

Unlimited, but you have to declare it if it is over $20k US.  Also there might be declaration requirements by the country your coming from.  The US, for example, is $10k USD.

Can you really get better than TT rate by converting it in another country?

Edited by mesquite

Unlimited, but you have to report it if it is over $20k US.  Also there might be reporting requirements by the country your coming from.  The US, for example, is $10k USD.

Thanks , I think if you are leaving a country with Foreign currency you don't have to report it , US is probably different, anti terrorism and such , I'll be coming from Malaysia so I'll check it out, cheers again

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can you really get better than TT rate by converting it in another country?

Yes absolutely , Malaysian Ringit to Thai baht from the local changer I'll get 9.8 ish , Bank to Bank will be about 9.2. For some reason Ringitt in Thailand the rate is always rubbish, you'd be lucky to get 9 in Thailand

I'd say you would get a better rate changing up Baht to USD in Thailand than the US. I'd assume that in the US baht is a very minor currency so they are not going to be giving the best rates to buy it a bit like the Ringgit in Thailand. See what the bank wants to charge and their rate for a transfer and then check with a money changer. Dont do it at the airport or if you can avoid it full on tourist resorts

• Like 1

Unlimited, but you have to report it if it is over $20k US.  Also there might be reporting requirements by the country your coming from.  The US, for example, is $10k USD.

Thanks , I think if you are leaving a country with Foreign currency you don't have to report it , US is probably different, anti terrorism and such , I'll be coming from Malaysia so I'll check it out, cheers again

I would think again.......

A woman was recently arrested carrying 30 million baht out!

US was not in the original question.

I was told the limit to take out of Thailand was 50,000 baht, bringing it in I believe is the same.

OP... can you bring in US$, £STLG or Euro, unlimited if declared.

Edited by jacko45k

As I write this the exchange rate is:  Thailand - 31.831   USA - 32.04.

The exchange rate in the USA has been higher than Thailand for at lease the past 3 years.

When I go into a Thai Bank for a Cash advance on my Debit card I always tell them I want baht (example: 40,000 baht).  That way, they put the baht into my saving account immediately and then send the information electronically to my bank in the USA.  Then my bank in the US does the conversion to determine how much to charge my account.  Then I get the exchange rate in the USA

If, for example, I go into a Thai bank for cash advance and say I want $1300 worth of Thai Baht, they do the conversion rate immediately to determine how much to put into my Thai savings account.  Then I get the exchange rate in Thailand.

&nbsp;

I was told the limit to take out of Thailand was 50,000 baht, bringing it in I believe is the same.

&nbsp;

I was talking about Taking a Foreign currency out of Thailand , not Baht. From what i have read on other sites , you can take as much foreign currency out as you like , this includes Malaysia and Thai Baht

If I transfer from My account with Bangkok Bank Malaysia to my account with Bangkok Bank Thailand, I will get about 9.2. If i take a big pile of cash to the money changer I will get 9.8. Thats a fact and I have done it with smaller amounts on dozens of occasions

&nbsp;

As I write this the exchange rate is:  Thailand - 31.831   USA - 32.04.

The exchange rate in the USA has been higher than Thailand for at lease the past 3 years.

When I go into a Thai Bank for a Cash advance on my Debit card I always tell them I want baht (example: 40,000 baht).  That way, they put the baht into my saving account immediately and then send the information electronically to my bank in the USA.  Then my bank in the US does the conversion to determine how much to charge my account.  Then I get the exchange rate in the USA

If, for example, I go into a Thai bank for cash advance and say I want $1300 worth of Thai Baht, they do the conversion rate immediately to determine how much to put into my Thai savings account.  Then I get the exchange rate in Thailand.

&nbsp;

Fair enough , completely the opposite with Ringgit , If I change in Thailand the best I could hope for would be 9-1 ,I've seen many times in the airport less than 9

Just to clarify a point. In the USA you can take out any amount of any currency, same for bringing in. However, you do have to declare any amount of any currency or equivalent (traveler's checks etc) of US$10,000 or above. Of course if you do have that perfectly legal large amount you better have a good explanation of the source and intent.

2. Local Currency

There is no restriction on the amount of Thai baht bank notes that may be brought into the country. 

A person traveling to Vietnam, the People's Republic of China (only Yunnan province) and Thailand's bordering countries is allowed to take out up to THB 2,000,000. Taking out Thai Baht bank notes in an amount exceeding THB 450,000 requires declaration to a Customs Officer.

A person traveling to other countries is allowed up to THB 50,000.

http://www.bot.or.th/English/ForeignExchangeRegulations/FXRegulation/Pages/ExchangeControlLaw.aspx

1. Foreign Currency

Foreign currencies can be transferred or brought into Thailand without limit.  Any person receiving foreign currencies from abroad is required to repatriate such funds immediately and sell to an authorized bank or deposit them in a foreign currency account with an authorized bank within 360 days of receipt, except for foreigners temporarily staying in Thailand for not more than three months, foreign embassies, international organizations including their staff with diplomatic privileges and immunities, and Thai emigrants who are permanent residents abroad or working abroad.

Purchase of foreign currency from authorized banks is generally allowed upon submission of documents indicating international trade and investment. Companies in Thailand can engage in derivatives transactions with authorized banks to hedge against foreign exchange risk provided that supporting documents indicating future foreign currency receipts or obligations are submitted.  

Any person bringing into or taking out of Thailand foreign currency bank notes in an aggregate amount exceeding USD 20,000 or its equivalent must declare to a customs officer.

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

I was talking about Taking a Foreign currency out of Thailand , not Baht. From what i have read on other sites , you can take as much foreign currency out as you like , this includes Malaysia and Thai Baht

I thought the question was...

How much Thai currency can you carry into Thailand.

Nevertheless your answer still seems to contradict what I believe.

Edited by jacko45k

&nbsp;

[quote name="Sena Dave" post="8231653" timestamp="1407808672"]

&amp;nbsp;[quote name="jacko45k" post="8231570" timestamp="1407807228"]
 [quote name="Sena Dave" post="8229152" timestamp="1407750885"]
 [quote name="mesquite" post="8229135" timestamp="1407750669"]
Unlimited, but you have to report it if it is over $20k US.  Also there might be reporting requirements by the country your coming from.  The US, for example, is $10k USD.[/quote] 
 [/quote]

OP... can you bring in US$, £STLG or Euro, unlimited if declared.[/quote]&amp;nbsp;

[/quote]
I thought the question was...
How much Thai currency can you carry into Thailand.
Nevertheless your answer still seems to contradict what I believe.

&nbsp;

The original question was , but we drifted a bit and i was responding to another post. Apologies for the confusion

of course you have to report it! but different countries = different amounts apply for bringing in and taking out.

Thailand USD 20,000.- (exception neighbouring countries when Baht is used)

EU-Countries €UR 10,000.- (UK £ 8,500)

Singapore SGD 30,000.- (~USD 24,000)

Malaysia USD 10,000.- (foreign currency), Ringgit 1,000.- (onethousand!)

The limit to take Thai baht OUT of Thailand is actually 500,000 (as was stated in that same article about the Laos lady being arrested trying to 'smuggle' out 30,000,000Baht), I also believe it is an unlimited amount to bring Thai Baht into Thailand

A few years ago I flew from Heathrow to Bangkok carrying in 500,000Baht, a money sniffing Police Dog did give me some attention at Heathrow when I was departing, I showed the officer (no, not the dog) what I was carrying & he was perfectly ok with that (I believe you can leave the UK with up to £10,000 before having to declare it, but Foreign currency is unlimited), and I was never questioned about it at Swampy (mind you I didn't tell them either ;-) )

Maybe check again with the bank and see if they can give a better rate. Usually decent banks don't take more than 15-25 Bp in margin on larger trx. My experience is that cash exchange rates are poor and they take a huge margin, last time I exchanged some cash, they took at least 100 Bp margin.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe check again with the bank and see if they can give a better rate. Usually decent banks don't take more than 15-25 Bp in margin on larger trx. My experience is that cash exchange rates are poor and they take a huge margin, last time I exchanged some cash, they took at least 100 Bp margin.

I'll give you an example ,I have a standing order to the Missus and kids ,HSBC for 60,000 baht a month , this month it cost me 6236 Ringgit or 9.6 Baht to the ringgit. I could walk round the corner and get 9.85 right now at the money changer. As its a monthly payment I do it standing order . Now I work it out Roughly Half a million baht on those rates is a difference of about 1500 Ringgit or 300 quid in old money

of course you have to report it! but different countries = different amounts apply for bringing in and taking out.

The OP wants to take Thai Baht out of Malaysia and bring it in to Thailand.

The maximum allowable amount of THB he can take out of Malaysia is unlimited.

The maximum allowable amount of THB he can bring in to Thailand is unlimited.

He will have to fill out paperwork for Malaysia if the amount exceeds $10,000 US

He will have to fill out paperwork for Thailand if the amount exceeds $20,000US.

The OP wants to take Thai Baht out of Malaysia and bring it in to Thailand.

The maximum allowable amount of THB he can take out of Malaysia is unlimited.

The maximum allowable amount of THB he can bring in to Thailand is unlimited.

He will have to fill out paperwork for Malaysia if the amount exceeds $10,000 US

He will have to fill out paperwork for Thailand if the amount exceeds $20,000US.

I'll be over the 10 going out but under 20 coming in to Thailand. I take it I'd go to customs before going through Immigration at Penang to "Declare" ?

That's why I only gave the US as an example.

The amount he can bring into Thailand is unlimited, subject to reporting requirements if over $20k US

The limit to take Thai baht OUT of Thailand is actually 500,000 (as was stated in that same article about the Laos lady being arrested trying to 'smuggle' out 30,000,000Baht), I also believe it is an unlimited amount to bring Thai Baht into Thailand

A few years ago I flew from Heathrow to Bangkok carrying in 500,000Baht, a money sniffing Police Dog did give me some attention at Heathrow when I was departing, I showed the officer (no, not the dog) what I was carrying & he was perfectly ok with that (I believe you can leave the UK with up to £10,000 before having to declare it, but Foreign currency is unlimited), and I was never questioned about it at Swampy (mind you I didn't tell them either ;-) )

the limit THB500k (undeclared) applies only to Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia. the limit to and from any other country is THB 50k, higher amount not possible even if declared. period!

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

That's why I only gave the US as an example.

The amount he can bring into Thailand is unlimited, subject to reporting requirements if over $20k US

Thanks mate , I'm getting mixed up with How much you can carry out and reporting what you are taking out , so as long as you tell them you can take what you like really

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

any amount exceeding USD value 20k has to be declared. but when you declare a higher amount you are asked to prove that you brought in at least the equivalent amount in foreign currency. proof that you legally changed THB into foreign that foreign currency which you intend to take out is not accepted because it's illegal.

repeat: only forex brought in can be taken out. your bank has to issue a relevant document.

Thanks mate , I'm getting mixed up with How much you can carry out and reporting what you are taking out , so as long as you tell them you can take what you like really

Sir,
i apologise for my bad English (third language). please tell me which part of my posting you don't understand and i will try harder.

wai2.gif