Chonburi-Swampy inbound one giant carpark, Mon 11th August

MrWorldwide

Anyone on TV have the misfortune of finding themselves in that nightmarish gridlock this afternoon ? Saw it from the other side of the highway at around 3pm and immediately felt sorry for the poor sods who will probably miss flights this evening, not to mention those who probably thought they were getting an early start on tomorrow's day off work. Commiserations to those caught up in it. 

Where , what , how, when ?

I think the OP is referring to Highway 7 around the new construction of ramps to and from Lam Chabang?

They have closed the main carriageway and rerouted to a newly made up frontage road which due to the turn points and lesser no. of lanes means the traffic can get a bit grid locked at times. I have seen it several times over the last month or so - and can be bad south bound as well at certain times.

• Like 2

Yes, I was trapped in it - went on for at least 8km (av speed 10km/h) until the toll booths, after which it thinned out for a while, clogged up again as you hit the suburbs, and then flowed like a dream right through to Ratchada. That was about 4pm. Inner city was a dream run up until I left to return to Pattaya at 9. Straight run through, but saw the inbound traffic still clogged up.

Ain't that the truth. I swear, 9 out of 10 number plates are from Bangkok, and the only thing they seem to be doing is driving up 2nd road, down Klang to Beach Rd, south on Beach Rd and then back to second road - repeated ad nauseam.

Why can't they discover all the other lovely places near Bangkok; Bang Saen, Bang Sare, Hua Hin, Cha-am etc.

Hey, Bangkokians. Leave our cesspool to us Cesspoolians!

Sadly, I dont think any of those alternatives have a Central Festival, and that seems to be a big drawcard for these middle-class Bangkok folk and their offspring. Read somewhere that Chonburi City is invaded every weekend by young guys in loud cars - for all the lunatic motorbike riders we have here, that's not a group I'm keen to see on our streets.

My friend said it took 90 minutes from near Pattaya Int'l Hospital to the Ambassador yesterday, around 1pm.  He said it was also horrible on the way back, around 6pm.

I picked up a friend near Pattaya Tai 2 days ago.  Heading down Suk was the worst traffic I've ever seen.

Ain't that the truth. I swear, 9 out of 10 number plates are from Bangkok, and the only thing they seem to be doing is driving up 2nd road, down Klang to Beach Rd, south on Beach Rd and then back to second road - repeated ad nauseam.

Why can't they discover all the other lovely places near Bangkok; Bang Saen, Bang Sare, Hua Hin, Cha-am etc.

Ah, we have another plate observer.

Ah, we have another plate observer.

Ah, another useless comment.

Not much else to do when stuck in traffic and the subversive local radio stations are still off the air. Buddha forbid I actually have to talk to the Mrsbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Another plate observer here....MZ is right, a majority on weekends are from Bangkok.  Which makes sense, this is a holiday destination after all! 5555

Same thing happens in Hua Hin.  Massive traffic jams on the weekends.

And half the Pattaya locals are driving around with Bangkok plates... BTW Bangkok was a delight to drive in this long weekend :)

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

Another plate observer here....MZ is right, a majority on weekends are from Bangkok.  Which makes sense, this is a holiday destination after all! 5555

And half the Pattaya locals are driving around with Bangkok plates... BTW Bangkok was a delight to drive in this long weekend smile.png

Not on the highway through Rangsit heading toward Korat it wasnt - it took me a while but I eventually convinced Ms KnowItAll that it wasnt simply people heading to the shops on a Saturday morning. Somewhere around Saraburi she finally realised that I was right  :D

• Like 1

And half the Pattaya locals are driving around with Bangkok plates... BTW Bangkok was a delight to drive in this long weekend smile.png

Major holidays indeed the best time to visit Bangkok. 

As old hands that have seen many a long weekend of traffic chaos in Pattaya and area, it should not come as a surprise. When we lived there last year I made of point of doing my shopping to Foodland etc in the early hours before the mall madness kicked in around 10 onwards.

As old hands that have seen many a long weekend of traffic chaos in Pattaya and area, it should not come as a surprise. When we lived there last year I made of point of doing my shopping to Foodland etc in the early hours before the mall madness kicked in around 10 onwards.

Fair point - I always made a point of being one of the first at the supermarket on a Saturday morning in Oz - they open at 8am in most towns - but I cant seem to get motivated until 10am here for some reason, even on days where I dont regain consciousness with the foul remnants of Sangsom and chicken kebab lining my tongue. The horror, the horror  .....  :D

if it's any consolation, the masses have returned to bangkok and with it the <deleted> traffic 

It most certainly is a consolation....until next Friday.

Edited by MZurf