no money to pay overstay

20,000 baht is the fine. if he can't pay that immirgaiton will take him to court. The judge will normally set a lesser fine and if he can't pay that he will have to do some time in jail, at paying off the fine at 200 baht a day.

But if that happens he will also need to pay for a ticket out to his home country. Immigration will keep him in jail till he pays for the ticket himself.

I'd say that he's much better off phoning his mum and asking her to bail him out with the 20,000 Baht and air ticket.

• Like 1

These overstayers are able to live well in Thailand, but somehow they never have the money to pay fines or tickets home.

The OPs specifically stated that he has indeed NOT been doing well! However, it is still not a hard scenario to imagine here. One can live on small amounts of cash and never have enough to put aside for tickets/fines. 7-11 meals at 35 baht a day, 50 stating litres of water from the machine, and a 5k a month rental is doable in the CM, and more so in poor areas in the sticks (where one can get a room in a farmers house for a few hundred baht - with meals). So they have the choice of not eating, drinking or having some kind of shelter for a year or so in order to save for the fine and ticket, or to stay on the down and low and hope the situation improves enough for them to be able to get out of the rut. Not too difficult to see this scenario is it!

To those that keep berating the Op and telling him he should pay - I say simply, "Hi mate - give me 50k so I can leave the country - honest!". Easy to say to other to do so, when they admit to trying to help another fellow being, but would you honestly give away that sort of cash to someone you hardly know? I wouldn't - and I applaud the Op for being a nice enough guy for doing anything to help the guy! Again, most wouldn't.

To the Op. If the guy really wants to leave, his options are limited to one. Hand himself in and go with the flow. The judge will likely see that he cannot afford anything - so will give him a noddy amount to pay of in pokey - something like 10 - 15 days I would hazard to guess, just to make it felt as a disincentive to repeat. The real aim of the court and immigration for people like this, is to get rid as cheaply and efficiently as possible - which means small fine/time and hope the ticket can be covered via the embassy or family (prison also helps to lubricate friends and family back home - with the horror stories of Thai prisons and all). His alternative, if he can, is to stay on the low down and try to raise the funds some other way - with the knowledge that being caught OS and working illegally may give him a bigger sentence and blacklisting if caught.

• Like 2

Sorry for asking (I read 1, 2 and 4th pages), why the guy in question didn't reported the missing documents the day it happened? between Immigration and his embassy everything would have been clarified from the start.

because the guy is either

A - Stupid

B - A Liar

C - Thinks he's a smartass

D - A mixture of all three above

I simply find it hard to believe that anyone can get themselves into such a situation after simply losing their passport, there are many options that could have been employed probably nearly a year ago or more likely longer if this guy actually fessed up about what he's been doing for a much longer period, I'd like to know how long he's been in Thailand and based on that most likely deserves all he gets

My guess would be he exhausted the friends and family loan option a long time ago

he didnt just lose his passport, he lost all IDs, contacts, money etc. whats he to do. walk up to strangers and get called a stupid lying smartass? but thanks for the useful information

What did he do for over 7 months not having any money? Or anything else. This story smells and I don't belive it. You make things up all the time when new questions arrive

I never asked him, personally its not of as much interest to me as it seems to be to you, do you think I should give him a holier then thou grumpy old man lecture when I see him next to cheer all you fellows up?

Sorry for asking (I read 1, 2 and 4th pages), why the guy in question didn't reported the missing documents the day it happened? between Immigration and his embassy everything would have been clarified from the start.

A - Stupid

B - A Liar

I simply find it hard to believe that anyone can get themselves into such a situation after simply losing their passport, there are many options that could have been employed probably nearly a year ago or more likely longer if this guy actually fessed up about what he's been doing for a much longer period, I'd like to know how long he's been in Thailand and based on that most likely deserves all he gets

My guess would be he exhausted the friends and family loan option a long time ago

My guess is D

20,000 baht is the fine. if he can't pay that immirgaiton will take him to court. The judge will normally set a lesser fine and if he can't pay that he will have to do some time in jail, at paying off the fine at 200 baht a day.

But if that happens he will also need to pay for a ticket out to his home country. Immigration will keep him in jail till he pays for the ticket himself.

I'd say that he's much better off phoning his mum and asking her to bail him out with the 20,000 Baht and air ticket.

dont think dead people use telephones, but great advice, thanks

So his entire family are dead then? Is there nobody that he can ask for help? That's hard to believe.

The prison option is very open ended - with no money to buy his air ticket there's no knowing how long he'll spend holed up in the slammer. Thai prisons are a hard time if you have no money coming in - you practically starve.

She is dead now? That was not your answer in the beginning of the thread !!!!

• Like 1

If you are his real friend (assuming the wrongdoer is not you), shouldn't you make a charitable (financial) move?

Here is what I would do (for a real friend).

Accompany him anywhere, till he is out of the country.

Have 50,000b (at least) in my pocket all the time. 20,000 for the fine and the rest for unforeseen expenses.

Of course, you would do that only for a real friend... Even only one day is prison would be too much if it is a real friend...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

And what if.........you'd like to leave the country with a ticket and an overstay.

Basically everything is all-right except the overstay.........you don't have the money to pay the overstay-fine and certainly no money there to pay for another ticket.

Will they actually detain you knowing that the problems are only getting bigger?

And what if.........you'd like to leave the country with a ticket and an overstay.

Basically everything is all-right except the overstay.........you don't have the money to pay the overstay-fine and certainly no money there to pay for another ticket.

Will they actually detain you knowing that the problems are only getting bigger?

Yes, they will. It's your problem not their.

• Like 1

I wonder how many times she's bailed him out over the years. Maybe she had enough and finally cut him off.

She is dead now? That was not your answer in the beginning of the thread !!!!

I dont recall mentioning his mother, perhaps you could point out where i did so

I wonder how many times she's bailed him out over the years. Maybe she had enough and finally cut him off.

Im sure you are very curious about it, but I am grateful you are sparing us the details of your relationship with your mother, thanks

A - Stupid

B - A Liar

he didnt just lose his passport, he lost all IDs, contacts, money etc. whats he to do. walk up to strangers and get called a stupid lying smartass? but thanks for the useful information

What did he do for over 7 months not having any money? Or anything else. This story smells and I don't belive it. You make things up all the time when new questions arrive

I never asked him, personally its not of as much interest to me as it seems to be to you, do you think I should give him a holier then thou grumpy old man lecture when I see him next to cheer all you fellows up?

It's not about that, there are huge gaps in this story and quite frankly a pile of stuff that just doesn't add up

I think he's been here for quite a long time and has run out of money tossing around - he has already exhausted his lifeline of friends and family lending money and now expects everyone to bend over backwards and take it in the ass to help him out

The passport is/was a side issue, now he is in real trouble and comes on here looking for options - well he's probably about 2 years beyond that now - his options are limited to the point that he may have to work off his overstay in jail, perhaps a well earned lesson at the end of the day

he can get all the advice that can be given on here but that is going to change nothing - this is no yellow card foul here - it's a straight red in my opinion and has been developing over a lot longer than 7 months - and yes that matters to me if someone phucks up to a level like this - he deserves everything he gets

som nom nah

It's not about that, there are huge gaps in this story and quite frankly a pile of stuff that just doesn't add up

I think he's been here for quite a long time and has run out of money tossing around - he has already exhausted his lifeline of friends and family lending money and now expects everyone to bend over backwards and take it in the ass to help him out

The passport is/was a side issue, now he is in real trouble and comes on here looking for options - well he's probably about 2 years beyond that now - his options are limited to the point that he may have to work off his overstay in jail, perhaps a well earned lesson at the end of the day

he can get all the advice that can be given on here but that is going to change nothing - this is no yellow card foul here - it's a straight red in my opinion and has been developing over a lot longer than 7 months - and yes that matters to me if someone phucks up to a level like this - he deserves everything he gets

som nom nah

he doesnt expect anything from anybody, where do you get that idea from? he would rather do the prison then ask people for money in fact. he never asked me to post this and Im not asking advice on how he should live his life altho there seems to be no end of people here that seem to think they know better then anyone else, the last sort of person I would take advice from personally. I only gave the 7 month figure so people could answer my question better, wasnt expecting a psychoanalysis of the guy by random forum trolls, but thanks

it is not to say they are bad,but compassion no, they know the rules, and many have flouted them ,and they come on Thai visa asking how to avoid the issues, still not facing up to the reality of their past, this is not judgemental it is fact.like for example in the uk,if you drive a car uninsured you stand a good chance of it being crushed, no good whinging when you get caught..end of

Look, I am an overstayer. And yes I know it is my own fault, I do not argue that fact!!! But I am not bad. I am not a bum living on the streets and living off others. I pay my Thai tax, etc. I have made the mistake!!! I know that, but does that mean I deserve no compassion? I am trying everything to correct my mistakes... so does this now mean I can never return to Thailand? This will be my first offence.

• Like 2

Look, I am an overstayer. And yes I know it is my own fault, I do not argue that fact!!! But I am not bad. I am not a bum living on the streets and living off others. I pay my Thai tax, etc. I have made the mistake!!! I know that, but does that mean I deserve no compassion? I am trying everything to correct my mistakes... so does this now mean I can never return to Thailand? This will be my first offence.

Coming out you will be now be repeated ad nauseam the dull lectures that you were receiving by proxy before.

These are exactly the same in any thread like this, and only serve the purpose to keep someone busy and self-righteous when writing them.

The answer that are useful to you have been posted already, rather than discussing you should focus instead on how the get the money you need, and quickly.

You are correcting your mistake. You will pay the applicable fine. Unless there is something "hidden" or not disclosed you should have no problem getting a proper visa and returning to Thailand.

Thank you so much for the glimmer of hope. There is no "hidden" things on my side - I am an overstayer! I am paying my overstay and going to my country for a few weeks.... then I can only pray they let me come again. And sure as hell, I will never let this happen again.

Coming out you will be now be repeated ad nauseam the dull lectures that you were receiving by proxy before.

These are exactly the same in any thread like this, and only serve the purpose to keep someone busy and self-righteous when writing them.

The answer that are useful to you have been posted already, rather than discussing you should focus instead on how the get the money you need, and quickly.

I have the money and I am flying home - my money by the way, not money my embassy had to supply!!

It's just difficult for me to believe anyone can overstay 7 months, apparently without any visible means of support, and not have the wherewithal to avoid 100 days in confinement for the lack of a lousy $650.00--- avoiding jail and IDC would be my first priority. This guy doesn't sound too swift so I'm guessing he doesn't have a lot of bright prospects back home either. Your friend needs to grow up and operate within the legal visa parameters when he travels. Sorry for the rant.

The OP has asked a specific question regarding the overstay dilemma of a friend or an acquaintance.

He has not asked for opinions of the logic and rights and wrongs of the situation and probably not interested in his friend`s future prospects either in Thailand or anywhere else. The OP has already gone into detail about his friend`s stolen goods and other things that have been irrelevant to the theme of this thread, but has replied to the questions anyway.

Badbanker has given some excellent information regarding overstayers in Thailand that I am sure is not only helpful to the OP but for many others who maybe in similar situations. I have certainly learned something from badbankers posts today and appreciate it.

• Like 2

It's just difficult for me to believe anyone can overstay 7 months, apparently without any visible means of support, and not have the wherewithal to avoid 100 days in confinement for the lack of a lousy $650.00--- avoiding jail and IDC would be my first priority. This guy doesn't sound too swift so I'm guessing he doesn't have a lot of bright prospects back home either. Your friend needs to grow up and operate within the legal visa parameters when he travels. Sorry for the rant.

The OP has asked a specific question regarding the overstay dilemma of a friend or an acquaintance.

He has not asked for opinions of the logic and rights and wrongs of the situation and probably not interested in his friend`s future prospects either in Thailand or anywhere else. The OP has already gone into detail about his friend`s stolen goods and other things that have been irrelevant to the theme of this thread, but has replied to the questions anyway.

Badbanker has given some excellent information regarding overstayers in Thailand that I am sure is not only helpful to the OP but for many others who maybe in similar situations. I have certainly learned something from badbankers posts today and appreciate it.

unfortunately, the detail he went into changed from post to post

a question if badbanker is around. how does the judge get his info? for example I guess it looks better if someone hands themselves in rather then gets caught, but how does that get passed along to the judge? can the embassy help? I went thru the system myself once and as far as i know the judge only saw the police report and I had no idea what it said because it was written in Thai, I had to sign it or they would have kept me locked up but I had no idea what it said

sorry about that, I hope you recover soon

it is not to say they are bad,but compassion no, they know the rules, and many have flouted them ,and they come on Thai visa asking how to avoid the issues, still not facing up to the reality of their past, this is not judgemental it is fact.like for example in the uk,if you drive a car uninsured you stand a good chance of it being crushed, no good whinging when you get caught..end of

whos whinging, apart from you?

sorry about that, I hope you recover soon

and i hope you get that pants fire extinguished