I am bored and I want to teach

Non native speaker with Canadian passport and a degree.

Old and bald.

Work permit is a must.

I need to take TEFL course (unless I will be teaching children) because quite frankly my English is not up to par.

Which one is the most reputable? I know CELTA rocks, but I heard it's an overkill and slightly useless for Thailand.

I am located in Bangkok.

Thank you.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A TEFL course will not improve your ability in English. For that you need to take some linguistics or English classes in grammar and composition (which would require extensive reading and writing) and, if your pronunciation needs work, perhaps a class in phonology. TEFL classes teach you how to teach English, hence the "TE" in TEFL.

Bored? Why not write a book, you can bore everyone else then.

A TEFL course will not improve your ability in English. For that you need to take some linguistics or English classes in grammar and composition (which would require extensive reading and writing) and, if your pronunciation needs work, perhaps a class in phonology. TEFL classes teach you how to teach English, hence the "TE" in TEFL.

Nothing says pedagogical paragon like a "teacher" who's motivated by boredom to teach a subject in which he himself feels inadequately prepared.

Why not offer to perform surgery at a local hospital or to pilot for one of the low cost airlines? You'll probably pick up some of the needed skills through trial and error. The important thing is you won't be bored.

Because teaching is easier.... and the way you 2 presented your arguments in "English" I feel I am quite up for it.

Also linguistic courses and classes in phonology? Are you nuts? I thought TOEIC score is all that people care about or otherwise how do you explain Irish and Australians teaching here.

• Like 2

Bored? Why not write a book, you can bore everyone else then.

Nothing says pedagogical paragon like a "teacher" who's motivated by boredom to teach a subject in which he himself feels inadequately prepared.

Why not offer to perform surgery at a local hospital or to pilot for one of the low cost airlines? You'll probably pick up some of the needed skills through trial and error. The important thing is you won't be bored.

Because teaching is easier.... and the way you 2 presented your arguments in "English" I feel I am quite up for.

Do you not have any empathy with your prospective victims?

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1

This OP is just being sarcastic. Well I hope he is. Teaching, despite how some people regard it in Thailand, is in fact a profession.

You must have at very least a degree and in most countries a qualification in teaching. Such as a diploma of education.

You suggest a reason to do this is that your bored. Better idea would be to undertake charity work or knitting.

Never been bored but wanted to be useful.

Two Degrees and a Diploma.

Registered in Australia for teaching in Primary, Secondary and Private Schools.

9 years teaching work experience.

Retiree in Thailand.

Do not need money (payment, salary etc.)

Any offers of help for free rejected (actually ignored) by both Private and Gov't Schools.

Thailand in its today shape has huge problems with English language.

Thai Gov't is not interested in remedying the situation.

Work Permit? No... And I couldn't be bothered with it... As said above - I do not need their money - so, why should I bother?

Edited by ABCer
  • Like 1

It might be difficult to get a teaching post if your basic English is not good. TEFL and CELTA are about teaching English not about learning English. If you're bored why not try prison visiting - serious idea.

It may be difficult to get a teaching post? Are you for real? There is some black guy from Africa with TOEIC score of <600 slapping kids around and you say it can be difficult to get a teaching post?

Hahahaha.... you people are full of yourselves.

I agree in that some posters are "full of themselves" .......well, at very least one springs to mind. The OP did not mention his qualifications or experience. Main item listed as desire to teach was boredom.

Twilight Zone.

If you are for real, go and do some serious training and join the pantheon of elite, selfless professionals who dedicate their life to educating others and improving the human condition.

You gotta be kidding me? In Thailand? Where every time I enter the BTS there is another white guy in a suit reeking of alcohol?

The boredom part was tongue-in -cheek, btw.

Also, I already have a job offer for 40k a month due to connections.... however, I would rather not use the connections and get the job myself. I needed a refreshment as I am a non native speaker. As you probably know TEFL is not required for me to teach as I am qualified under the Thai Law. I thought someone could suggest a course. But thanks for a bunch of high horse useless replies as usual.wai.gif

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum

Bored and wanting to teach?

The worst possible combination. Shame on you.

No. Shame on you.

I guess your life in UK was full od excitement and that is why you decided to come to Thailand out of all places.

Again, shame on you for being a hypocrite.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum
  • Like 1

Wow, some of you guys are just being flat out mean......

Bottom line, I think your options are going to be limited. Most positions clearly state native speaker and that seems to be what most schools are interested in. The exceptions are the positions that usually pay about 50% of what a Westerner makes and are filled by Filipino teachers.

I think you could find something if you obtain a TEFL, but it will be tough. And as mentioned, your options will be limited. You should not expect a great salary or package either.

You might want to look into a position teaching computers, PE, drama, etc. Something where English proficiency might not be so important.

I hope this helps a bit.

What did you expect with the attitude and that headline?Geez, Canadians trolling now...

Same questions repeated, what happened to prior searches on here as there must be 2 dozen similar threads since you're so bored.

Since you're Canadian, there are jobs out there but many don't survive long as teaching is not as easy as one thinks. I'd suggest getting the certification as it's a little unknown what exactly will happen with the visa's and there may be a mad dash for the jobs.

On the other hand, take the job through the connection as it will answer your questions whether you want to or can handle it without the expense of the course.

From one Canuck to another, good luck.

Edited by Friendly Stranger

Just what this country needs, another unqualified, bored teacher who is even unsure of his ability to teach his chosen subject. I thought our schools had an over supply of that type of teacher. Go for it, you should fit in really well, but why stop there? Aim higher, University lecturer for example, LOL.

Bored and wanting to teach?

The worst possible combination. Shame on you.

No. Shame on you.

I guess your life in UK was full od excitement and that is why you decided to come to Thailand out of all places.

Again, shame on you for being a hypocrite.

Shame on both of you for bringing so much shame into this shameless forum. You should be so ashamed.

• Like 2

Just what this country needs, another unqualified, bored teacher who is even unsure of his ability to teach his chosen subject. I thought our schools had an over supply of that type of teacher. Go for it, you should fit in really well, but why stop there? Aim higher, University lecturer for example, LOL.

I don't think that the OP is an "unqualified" bored teacher.

He's just playing his games with the nonsense brigade here. Your post is boring. Now I'm bored too.

• Like 1