Best area to live if you have a car?

Resa

Wife and me look for a small cheap place as weekend home when we visit Chiang Mai. We visit frequently and want to get a small place with space to park the car somewhere. The size doesnt matter. Its just a place to sleep. It should have a decent Internet connection though but I guess thats not an issue anymore all around Chiang Mai.

We like the Nimmahemin area for its choice of food but because we have a car we are flexible. We would like to be close enough to be at the ring road within 15 minutes (considering the traffic is normal).

The area towards Doi Saket looks kind of nice but it would be great to hear suggestions from all of you who really know Chiang Mai.

Lots of areas...................renter's market with all CM real estate. I prefer the north and west [Doi Saket and San Kapheng] of CM because of minimal traffic.  Mae Rim and Hang Dong rds are nightmares with traffic.

MEthinks you mean east?

• Like 1

The 118 road from superhighway to doi saket crossing over the two outer ring roads is not minimal traffic in my book...

The doi saket road and the Mae Jo road are starting to experience serious traffic problems...no infrastructure expansion just building moo baan after moo baan now long with commercial businesses like Honda and Toyota etc...

One needs to be even north of these areas. But then getting to town no fun....

CB

I rent a house in Doi Saket area. I remember someone suggested me to look for a house in the area that Night Safari located. He said it's cooler that. What do I know?

We can drive 15mins to Central festival, perhaps 20mins to Big C, Lotus, Makro and Star Avenue. I don't feel a need of going to Nimmanhemin area but only get to town once in awhile.

The proposed new cm>lamphun road should fix that, if it ever goes ahead.  Lot's of opposition from some pretty influential ppl in Ban Wangtan.

What route does the proposed CM-Lamphun road follow? Is there a link giving info regarding this proposed new road?

The proposed new cm>lamphun road should fix that, if it ever goes ahead.  Lot's of opposition from some pretty influential ppl in Ban Wangtan.

What route does the proposed CM-Lamphun road follow? Is there a link giving info regarding this proposed new road?

I believe it comes off Mahidol Road and in current plans it takes out Ban Wangtan's Pool/Restaurant and slices through section #5.  This is the website brochure page although it appears an old plan and certainly not detailed enough to draw conclusions.  Up-to-date info was confirmed by the local Kamnan.

Edited by kaptainrob

I rent a house in Doi Saket area. I remember someone suggested me to look for a house in the area that Night Safari located. He said it's cooler that. What do I know?

We can drive 15mins to Central festival, perhaps 20mins to Big C, Lotus, Makro and Star Avenue. I don't feel a need of going to Nimmanhemin area but only get to town once in awhile.

night safai district,is heaps cooler due to being closer to the mountain range etc etc

are u flying a helicopter to central big c etc etc??????

right about nimmanhemin, just a highly overated spot in c/mai,largely due to investors spruiking up their vested interests,better places in town etc etc

good nite c/cat, and allbiggrin.png

Edited by evenstevens

night safai district,is heaps cooler due to being closer to the mountain range etc etc

right about nimmanhemin, just a highly overated spot in c/mai,largely due to investors spruiking up their vested interests,better places in town etc etc

I live opposite PT gas ststion. We never spent more than half to get to Big C. If my husband can drive as Thais do (he still get used to drive on the right side) we may get to every way sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

right about nimmanhemin, just a highly overated spot in c/mai,largely due to investors spruiking up their vested interests,better places in town etc etc

. We never spent more than half to get to Big C. If my husband can drive as Thais do (he still get used to drive on the right side) we may get to every way sooner.

yes at least  half hr  is more like it,.... drive like the thais,  coffin boxes for both of yous..g/nite again sweet petals

. We never spent more than half to get to Big C. If my husband can drive as Thais do (he still get used to drive on the right side) we may get to every way sooner.

yes at least half hr is more like it,.... drive like the thais, coffin boxes for both of yous..g/nite again sweet petals
Let me take my words back. I should say if he had a confident to drive here. As sometime he waits till the road is clear to do U turn or to leave the Soi to highway which is almost impossible.

Sorry, think in Thai then translate to English

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by Cuddlycat
  • Like 1

Wife and me look for a small cheap place as weekend home when we visit Chiang Mai. We visit frequently and want to get a small place with space to park the car somewhere. The size doesnt matter. Its just a place to sleep. It should have a decent Internet connection though but I guess thats not an issue anymore all around Chiang Mai.

We like the Nimmahemin area for its choice of food but because we have a car we are flexible. We would like to be close enough to be at the ring road within 15 minutes (considering the traffic is normal).

The area towards Doi Saket looks kind of nice but it would be great to hear suggestions from all of you who really know Chiang Mai.

I overlooked about "Internet" where I am here in Doi Saket I have no choice but TOT. True and 3BB do not reach here. When I called TOT contact center, informed them to upgrade my speed from 3MB to 10MB they told me they need to check and will call me back.

It appeared to me we can't upgrade as we live too far from their cable line. The 3MB is all we can have.

If Internet speed is important. You better wait for others'a recommendation.