Rental receipt insufficient for retirement extension!

Re Jomtien. I was just asked this morning at Jomtien for a proof of address for my retirement extension request. Never been asked before and I just did my 90-day report two weeks ago. So here I am at my building waiting for the staff to produce an official statement  so I can ride all the way back to Jomtien from Noen Pub Waan. I will look for a posted notice at the office. 

So proof of address is already in the computer,from 90 day report,right.Where i go,they just turn the screen in my direction for a verbal confirmation,smiles all round.

I do my 90 day reports at Si Racha. I've never been asked for any proof of address. In fact I went there this morning and printed off all paperwork I needed before going. I went straight in, past everybody queuing for photocopies, and up to the desk. I took everything out of the folder and handed it to a lady. She didn't study, or even look at anything I'd supplied. She just filled in the bottom of the TM.47, stapled it in my passport and handed it to me with a smile. I was literally in and out within a minute.

Incidentally, when I did my extension based on retirement at Jomtien, I, along with several others, was told a residency certificate was not acceptable as proof of address. They accepted a copy of my wife's ID card and Tabien Baan instead though. 

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Other offices also ask these additional documents, and even before the clampdown. Local policy or as mentioned, a new boss.

You are doing no better or no worst than many many others applying for the same.

Samut Prakan has never asked for these documents.  I always attach a copy of my rental agreement just in case....they never even look at it.

I have always had to show proof of address (copies of house masters ID card & Tabbien bahn) when renewing my 1 year extension of stay based on both marriage & retirement.

Never had to show proof of address for 90 day report at Korat & Buriram immigration offices. All that is needed is my passport for 90 day report.

What we're really discussing is that the only constant with Thai immigration is the inconsistency of service from one region to another; a topic that I thought was on the table with the Thai Visa George/Immigration Commissioner discussion. 

and what was the outcome of this meeting ?

anywhere to get it ?

Thanks

Other offices also ask these additional documents, and even before the clampdown. Local policy or as mentioned, a new boss.
You are doing no better or no worst than many many others applying for the same.

Not in Chiang Mai, I was there today for renewal and posted on the CM thread.
Never been asked for proof of address and I've done lots of renewals.

I have been asked every year for these when doing my extensions based on marriage in chiang Mai.

Rental contract, Owners ID, tabien baan.

By renewal you do mean extension not just 90 day report ?

I mean yearly extension based on retirement, never been asked.

I have no idea about others except what's posted on the forum.

All I know is that I have never been asked over a period of many years.

How different is an extension based on marriage?

90 day reports are a breeze.

We all know the iconsistenies of each regional office and each individual officer - and I don't just mean specifically in relation to retirement extension renewals.

Whenever i go to the Jomtien office for 90 day reporting, extensions, POA if buying a car or renewing licence etc, I always go armed to the teeth with copies and originals of every conceivable piece of paper they could ever possibly want that can be easily guessed at.  

Once you comprehend that they love documentary evidence that supports anything/everything, you can easily figure out what they will probably want - you just have to out think them.

e.g.  If their standard form is printed on both sides, don't print it from the web on two pages because you may get knocked back - or they may accept it once but the next time refuse it.  Don't give them any excuses to cause you grief, and beat them at their own game.

As an aside, this is the case with every government official in virtually every country - don't give them an excuse and over supply them with detail to the point that they don't even try to find fault and just want to see you go.

• Like 1

What we're really discussing is that the only constant with Thai immigration is the inconsistency of service from one region to another; a topic that I thought was on the table with the Thai Visa George/Immigration Commissioner discussion. 

and what was the outcome of this meeting ?

anywhere to get it ?

Thanks

I wish I knew.  Haven't heard a thing.

Just got back from Jomtien Immigration, for the 90 day reporting on a retirement visa. After reading comments here, I took all relevant documentation, blue book and deeds. Was third in line, seen in 15 mins, everything computerised, didn't ask for proof of residence, Two minutes later I was out of there!  

Look this is how I would handle it now and in the future!

You have been given lots of good answers!  but stop and forget about what is suppose to be and deal with the cards that are being dealt to you at this location.  

This is the way it is in Thailand,  rules and laws here seem to be handle different in each office, maybe it is a power trip or just the head guy got a hair up his ass who knows?

First, you are not clear as to where you and who you are renting from?  If it is a apartment,condo, resort you should have a rental agreement, if not get as requested get a copy of the owners ownership book. If you get this make several copies for yourself for the future whether you plan to stay or not so you don't have to ask again. Then to be safe give them copies of the latest along with 2 months prior ( keep the original ready if they request them )

monthly receipts for your room.  Every document you give them sign you name on each page!

Now I know first hand there might be a crackdown on visa runs and stuff but like everything it is temporary and as soon as the people looking over their shoulders are gone here comes the guys with the bundle of passport. This is nearly the lifeblood of their tea money at every office you think these people working at these offices are riding motorbikes to work.. Look outside and you will see some pretty decent vehicles outside int he parking lot.  

Play the game and stop worrying about what other locations are doing and want? if you can't then move?

Good luck

Edited by thailand49

I take everything you possibly can need.

Next "new document" will likely be proof of health insurance.

I once asked the volunteers for a list of required documents for extensions - the answer was we don't have because it changes every day ...

priceless!

sticky please, under "I'm a newbie, what's Thailand like" forum.

Never been asked at Jomtien on 1 year extension. Always need for 90 day report. So far done 7 extensions.

it might depend on the information they already have for you on file which could be why requirements vary from person to person

And can vary for the same person if they alternate the side of the bed they get up from each day!

The wife's blue housebook (+ copies) used to do the trick for me as regards address proof at retirement extension of stay time at Maptaput, but on the last 2 occasions I haven't even been asked for this,

I once asked the volunteers for a list of required documents for extensions - the answer was we don't have because it changes every day ...

priceless!

A bit patronising don't you think?

You were once a newbie, in case you've forgotten!

There is no such thing as you mentioned. I had been doing this even with a hotel receipt. Last I did it was 4 months back in Pattaya, letter from the agent renting properties. Don't give 25 k for no reason. Even if you go to Bangkok and stay in a hotel you get it.

priceless!

A bit patronising don't you think?

You were once a newbie, in case you've forgotten!

I was being sarcastic, especially referring to "the answer was we don't have because it changes every day ..."

@OP.

Unless you are familiar with the office and know the officers it's always better to take everything.

I made a comprehensive list here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/740584-documents-required-for-retirement-extension/

I'm not saying every document will be requested, but better to be safe than sorry.

A visit to Amnat is a 4 hour round trip for me.

Within the list the only document that wasn't requested at Amnat was my Rental Agreement.

You will get a lot of conflicting reports because every Immigration Office and Personnel also conflict in what documents are required. 

Never heard of an extension being refused for supplying to many documents!

Some advice please...
My 90 day is due August 20 and my retirement extension due 22 September.
Can I go around August 22-25 and report and do retirement all in one trip.
At Chaengwattana. I will report back about Rental papers requested. Edited by IAMSOBAD