Income Tax Bill

Hi guys

I have a question about an income tax bill I received.

In August 2013 I started a job at a new school with a salary much less than what I made at my previous school. The new school obviously figured out my income tax based on my salary at their school and then it was deducted every month.

At the end of the past school year I decided not to renew my contract at this school. When I stopped by the school today to speak to a friend, I was told that I owed 40,000+ baht for income tax that was due. Apparently, the new school forgot to take into account my salary for Jan./13 to July/13 from my old school, add it to my salary from the new school and figure out the tax that should be deducted.

Obviously, had this been done when I started the new job, and the correct amount had been deducted throughout my year of employment, it wouldn't have been a problem. But to all of a sudden have a 40,000 baht bill sprung on me made me a little angry as I don't exactly have that amount "lying around".

My question is.......................if I decided to leave Thailand, having not paid the bill, would there be a record of this when I am checking through Immigration?

Just curious.

you are saying that your old job,jan 13-july the 13th.is that 2013 if so why didn't your employer stop tax.you must have known this,so its only right that you have to pay tax on your previous earnings.

you thought you would get away with it,but you havnt,so it will follow you wherever you go.

you must have been earning around 80,000-100,000bht a month for a tax demand of 40,000bht.

why didn't your employer stop tax.......which employer are you referring to....old or new? This was my first job in Thailand, where I worked for 8+ years, so I have no idea how Thai income tax works.

I wasn't trying to get away with anything as I had NO IDEA that they were doing this. I am not responsible for figuring out my income tax.....that's my employers responsibility. Isn't it my new employer's job to contact my old employer and get this information?

why didn't your employer stop tax.......which employer are you referring to....old or new? This was my first job in Thailand, where I worked for 8+ years, so I have no idea how Thai income tax works.

I wasn't trying to get away with anything as I had NO IDEA that they were doing this. I am not responsible for figuring out my income tax.....that's my employers responsibility. Isn't it my new employer's job to contact my old employer and get this information?

No. you need to notify your new employer of your previous income for the calendar year. Some staff may ask you but better to be proactive and tell them to calculate your tax based on combined incomes.

the employer I am referring to is the one you worked for JAN 13-JULY 13,then you say this was your first job in Thailand,then this is where you've worked for 8+yrs.so you have no idea how tax works in Thailand.

well it works the same as anywhere you work and tax is deducted after you've reached the income threshold,but you had no idea,so did you not get a pay slip or where you sub contract,if this is the case your agent would have advised you.

so 12months in a thai jail might make sure you remember next time.w00t.gif

the employer I am referring to is the one you worked for JAN 13-JULY 13,then you say this was your first job in Thailand,then this is where you've worked for 8+yrs.so you have no idea how tax works in Thailand.

well it works the same as anywhere you work and tax is deducted after you've reached the income threshold,but you had no idea,so did you not get a pay slip or where you sub contract,if this is the case your agent would have advised you.

so 12months in a thai jail might make sure you remember next time.w00t.gif

Yes...IT WAS MY FIRST AND ONLY JOB in Thailand. I had ONLY worked there so how would I know what a new employer should, or shouldn't, do with regards to my income tax if I had only been with ONE employer for 8+ years??? If I am at the same place for a long period of time then there is no reason for me to worry about them figuring out my income tax.

PLEASE don't reply anymore because you obviously have no idea. Thank you

No. you need to notify your new employer of your previous income for the calendar year. Some staff may ask you but better to be proactive and tell them to calculate your tax based on combined incomes.

Having never changed jobs in Thailand, I wasn't aware that it was my responsibility to notify my new employer. Had I known I would have said something.

Seems your new job would only be concerned about making correct tax deduction for what they are paying you monthly; not for some previous job or jobs you had earlier in the year.   Sounds like your school just blew off deducting the taxes, which also probably means they didn't contribute the employer's shares of taxes either...maybe the tax office caught them. 

Ultimately, it's your responsibility to ensure the correct amount of tax is be deducted...if the correct amount is not being deducted then you end up with problems like you are now experiencing...or overpaid taxes which you need to file for to get the over-payment back.  I know that may be hard when dealing with certain tax systems, especially a foreign country tax system.

Having never changed jobs in Thailand, I wasn't aware that it was my responsibility to notify my new employer. Had I known I would have said something.

lessoned learned - you won't be the first nor the last.  But having changed jobs, it was your fault for assuming it was an automatic thing. Curious to why you are getting a tax bill now? Mine was due months ago.

I am totally confused,i am only repling to what you have posted.

you say where I worked for 8+ years.

you also ask which employer am I referring to.you already stated your new school stopped the correct tax.

so I worked out it had to be your old employer.didnt you know you have to pay tax if you earn over the tax free amount.

then you say isn't it your new employers job to contract your old employer,so did you give them your work details and your salary,in the uk they call it a p45.previous employment.

so I am not trying to get at you but what you have posted makes you sound like you went into a well paid job and didn't have a clue about wages,tax or any deductions and you didn't bother to enquire about them.i would have thought that's the first thing you do.

Why is your new employer concerned at all about taxes you owe due to income from a previous employer? Are you say ing that your previous employer didn't deduct taxes from your salary? If they didn't, then yes, you owe the money. If your previous employer deducted taxes from your salary, then everything is OK. At the end of the day, it is the Thai government you owe the money to, not the school. You need to collect the tax payment receipts from your previous employer.