Thai tourists most hooked to smartphones while travelling

webfact

Thai tourists most hooked to smartphones while travelling

8-13-2014-11-06-15-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai tourists rank the top among tourists from 28 countries who are most hooked to their smartphones while travelling, according to a survey conducted by hotel.com website.

The survey shows that 85 percent of Thai tourists admitted that they used their smartphones while travelling. This was followed by 78 percent among South Korean tourists, 69 percent among Japanese tourists, 67 percent among Chinese tourists, 60 percent by Singapore tourists.

Less than one percent of Thai tourists felt sorry for spending a lot of their time with their smartphones while travelling with 64 percent admitted that they used their smartphones to check e-mails and 100 percent said they used the phones to link with the social media.

The survey also shows that Thai tourists regard smartphones as the Number One must have item while travelling followed by passports and insurance coverage and sunglasses. Razor blades rank the Number Ten item.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-tourists-hooked-smartphones-travelling/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-08-14

wot?? - oh yeah "empty headed animal food trough wiper" (M P holy grail) crazy.gif

...same backward flicking action of the wrist over the touch-glass, as per the trough-enamel

Edited by tifino

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is not confined to Thailand or tourists but is very prevalent everywhere.

Last month I was out for a meal with a friend and it was she who indicated I should look at an adjacent table where four girls were sitting, not a word being exchanged as all were heads down over their phones. Every so often they came up for air and food but each may well have been sitting alone for most of their time.

I think most of us would be somewhat annoyed if a so called dinner companion acted like that but for them no problem as they were all at it.

Try walking the footpath (sidewalk) in H.K.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Last month I was out for a meal with a friend and it was she who indicated I should look at an adjacent table where four girls were sitting, not a word being exchanged as all were heads down over their phones. Every so often they came up for air and food but each may well have been sitting alone for most of their time.

I think most of us would be somewhat annoyed if a so called dinner companion acted like that but for them no problem as they were all at it.

I lived there for 20 years up to 1996, long before extreme gadgetry, and a simple walk could be like trying to force your way through a packed rugby defence..

A psychologist suggested that Asian people almost literally do not see you because they don't know you, you are not a relative, friend or colleague so you don't register.

Not really something new and not only to do with the greasy fingerprint screen things.

I see people on buses who pull the window curtains as soon as they sit down and stared at the seat in front for the whole trip.

On a boat trip down the Mekong a young couple of tourists on a seat in front of me sat and read books the whole trip, never looked up once.

Recently on the train coming back from Kanchanaburi two tourists talked together all the way, never looking out the window.

These people might as well have stayed at home and saved their money for they never saw anything.

I suppose with the phone at least they can do selfies "This is me at.........." What was it like ? "Don't know I never looked I was too busy sending my photos to all my friends".

How can smartphones be the number one most essential travel items?

I'm fairly sure if i rocked up at Swampy to fly back to the USA waving my smartphone at the immigration officer, whilst being passportless, my travels would be over fairly swiftly.

As an aside. I am sure that there is an inversely proportional function somewhere in the universe that states - The smarter the phone, the dumber the user.

• Like 2

In the naked light I saw, ten thousand people maybe more, people talking without speaking. People hearing without listening. People writing songs that voices never shared. And no one dared, disturb the sounds of silence.

-Simon and Garfunkel

Edited by BudRight

The survey also shows that Thai tourists regard smartphones as the Number One must have item while travelling followed by passports and insurance coverage and sunglasses. Razor blades rank the Number Ten item.

... with soap and toothpaste a lowly twentieth.

But seriously, wherever I am in Thailand, I see couples, groups of friends sat at various places, heads down, absorbed in their 'smart' technology and totally devoid of any conversation.

I hear its the same back home now .. sign of times I suppose.

wot?? - oh yeah "empty headed animal food trough wiper" (M P holy grail) crazy.gif

...same backward flicking action of the wrist over the touch-glass, as per the trough-enamel

I want a pint of what you've had!!

• Like 1

I'd just like to remind everyone that a modern phone with internet is a mobile, personal window to all human knowledge. Who's to say Thais aren't brushing up on their Analytic Geometry while in New York or reading 'Oblomov' while visiting St. Petersburg?

It reflects a bit of prejudice to assume they are only used for trivial or vain purposes in the hands of Thais wherever they are.

• Like 2

I'd just like to remind everyone that a modern phone with internet is a mobile, personal window to all human knowledge. Who's to say Thais aren't brushing up on their Analytic Geometry while in New York or reading 'Oblomov' while visiting St. Petersburg?

It reflects a bit of prejudice to assume they are only used for trivial or vain purposes in the hands of Thais wherever they are.

Thais reading Goncharov? that's funny, 1000x more likely to be cookie run, line or tetris, well at least that's from Russia.

... with soap and toothpaste a lowly twentieth.

But seriously, wherever I am in Thailand, I see couples, groups of friends sat at various places, heads down, absorbed in their 'smart' technology and totally devoid of any conversation.

I hear its the same back home now .. sign of times I suppose.

I went back to the USA this summer first time in two years which isn't that long but can make a big difference in things like how users interact with technology. Then after I came back to Thailand, I immediately felt that the amount of youth/people/kids with their faces in their phones over here seemed to be far greater than back in the States...don't have any numbers to back this up, but I really felt that it was the Thais who took the cake when it comes to being more sucked in by the smartphone vortex!

• Like 2

Just the other day I was walking down the street here in HK and saw some chick watching a movie on her phone. She was heading straight for me and I refused to move.

Needless to say, we collided and she dropped her phone.

I was all pumped up to give her a mouthful…instead she apologised.