Thai tourists most hooked to smartphones while travelling

webfact

Just asking...no ill intent with the question, but--has anybody ever seen a Thai reading a (non-manga) book?

Other than a student?

As in just for kicks?

My Thai GF's family always looked at me like I was a lazy oaf for reading whenever I got on a bus or train.

Just asking...no ill intent with the question, but--has anybody ever seen a Thai reading a (non-manga) book?

Other than a student?

As in just for kicks?

My Thai GF's family always looked at me like I was a lazy oaf for reading whenever I got on a bus or train.

See it quite a lot. Usually in cafes or on BTS. About as often as see non-Thais to be honest.

• Like 1

Hey world ! look at me !, I got one of them new i-phone thingies, and can use a thing called " Line " on it, so i,m really cool.

Not just Thailand, but all over the world now.

It was said some years back, that Television was the death of all conversation, well the i-phone has to be the death of all civilisation.

Other than a student?

As in just for kicks?

See it quite a lot. Usually in cafes or on BTS. About as often as see non-Thais to be honest.

Hmmm...can't say I've had the same experience--at cafes or on the BTS/MRT....and I actively look for it. There are not nearly as many book stores in BKK as compared to the West or even Japan for that matter though.

• 3 weeks later...

Other than a student?

As in just for kicks?

Well, I think you'll see even less and less now of readers because reading in public is against the law!

• Like 1

Other than a student?

As in just for kicks?

Well, I think you'll see even less and less now of readers because reading in public is against the law!

Have you taken up residence in Oceania by any chance?

• Like 1

Other than a student?

As in just for kicks?

Nonsense.

Other than a student?

As in just for kicks?

Hmmm...can't say I've had the same experience--at cafes or on the BTS/MRT....and I actively look for it. There are not nearly as many book stores in BKK as compared to the West or even Japan for that matter though.

I can only speak from what I've seen. Just as many Thais as non-Thais.

Why would they not use their phones while on holiday?

The answer is in the question

(holidays)

No it's not. What on earth is wrong with using your phone whilst on holiday or holidays? Should they revert to telegrams, public telephone boxes, public address systems, Tom toms, smoke signals, etc. to communicate to friends/families/acquaintances?

• Like 1

Maybe a good solution would be to drop a load of smartphones in Syria, Iraq and Gaza?

"I can't behead anyone at the moment, I'm checking Tinder".

I'm quite proud of myself in that I had to look up to see what "Tinder" was - mind you I did use the internet to do so. For those proud people like me, this is from their website:

"Tinder is how people meet. It's like real life, but better."

I wonder if people using it realise just how sad that is? Anyway, having found out I feel this would be appropriate

NWS_2014-04-17_NEW_008_31372695_I1.JPG

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

Other than a student?

As in just for kicks?

Nonsense.

it may not be relevant now, but they did bust a few people for reading 1984 in the aftermath of the coup and reading in public was declared an something like an act against the state for a period of time during the early days of the Junta