Brake upgrade on Fortuner.

fredob43

I have had my Fortuner Sportivo for about 5 years now, having had the engine tweaked I thought it was about time for a brake upgrade.

Having made several inquiries I settled for a Runstop replacement kit for the rear drums.

Contacted BJ motors BKK [email protected] 022246580-2 very helpful. They wanted an email stating car model year engine wheel size etc I also asked about fitting of same.

Within an hour I had received a reply recommending their 320dics with twin callipers 27,500bt for the kit they also included a photo break down of how it's done looks easy and it is but unless you have all the right pulley's and presses your buggered.

They also recommended a fitting company not 10 minutes from where I live very handy.

After a trip to the fitter to discus the set up I was given a price of 4,000bt for fitting including a rear axle oil change recommended.

Paid a deposit and they ordered the parts this was a Monday afternoon by midday the next day they had receive the kit and Wednesday in I go at just after 8am. All sorted I was home at about 12.30pm after a little run round.

Right was the 31,500bt well spent.

Dose it stop better yes not to easy at first to give an accurate % wise answer just running about town but after just completing a return journey of some 1,000km fully loaded in high temperatures + the usual heavy rain, I can tell you it's fantastic I guesstimate at least 40/50% better.

It does take a bit of getting used to pressure peddle wise at first but after that it's all plain sailing.

Down side.

The hand brake isn't as effective as before on steep hills but an extra click on the handle sorts that out, other than that nothing.

N/B my Sportivo wheels have a 16" internal dimension leaving a gap of some 1.1/4 " between rim and the outside edge of the callipers so whether the standard Fortuner wheels can accommodate this set up I don't know. But what I do know that I should have had it done years ago.

Forgot their wed site it's www.runstopbj.com.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual total rubbish from AOP am I surprised no as he's put's in utter crap most of the time anything just to get his 8+ post a day. I see your still putting in those silly thumbs up emotions to try and make yourself look more knowledgeable sorry to say it's not working.

I am surprised at TA saying that they don't work, without driving with the set up, he should know better. Then again some of his post lately have been bordering on the AOP.

If I put a post in and state that the brakes work a hell of a lot better then they used to do in all conditions then I can assure you they do.

I have also got all six lights converted to xenon's I suppose they don't work either.

I done with you lot as most of you don't care about improvements you can do to your cars, all you do is put in at best stupid remarks without knowing what your talking about. Like one replying to a post the other day saying a Fortuner should have a heat reflecting cover round the air filter.

Sorry to all the peeps that require info about a Vigo or Fortuner you will just have to put up with incorrect replies.

As usual total rubbish from AOP am I surprised no as he's put's in utter crap most of the time anything just to get his 8+ post a day. I see your still putting in those silly thumbs up emotions to try and make yourself look more knowledgeable sorry to say it's not working.

I am surprised at TA saying that they don't work, without driving with the set up, he should know better. Then again some of his post lately have been bordering on the AOP.

If I put a post in and state that the brakes work a hell of a lot better then they used to do in all conditions then I can assure you they do.

I have also got all six lights converted to xenon's I suppose they don't work either.

I done with you lot as most of you don't care about improvements you can do to your cars, all you do is put in at best stupid remarks without knowing what your talking about. Like one replying to a post the other day saying a Fortuner should have a heat reflecting cover round the air filter.

Sorry to all the peeps that require info about a Vigo or Fortuner you will just have to put up with incorrect replies.

I did not say they did not or would not work. rolleyes.gif . A factory bias valve is set for factory set up. You change stuff and that valve "might" become useless. I have the T-shirt..........smile.png

I wasn't going to post anymore on this site but as I was scrolling down I noticed that you had put a post in. As I think you and a very few others seem to know what your talking about I for the last time will answer.

Runstop's kit's are designed for each and every model of car, I made very intensive study on same and I can assure you that what I put in my OP was all correct if I had dropped a Bo##ock I would have posted that as well, last thing I would do is send peeps down the wrong road with things that don't work or are a waste of monies.

Having had the set up for a couple of weeks now and see how it works I would have been quite happy well not that happy to have paid more.

I did not say they did not or would not work. rolleyes.gif . A factory bias valve is set for factory set up. You change stuff and that valve "might" become useless. I have the T-shirt..........smile.png

I have put my reply above so you will have to search for it. Sorry about that.

I wasn't going to post anymore on this site but as I was scrolling down I noticed that you had put a post in. As I think you and a very few others seem to know what your talking about I for the last time will answer.

Runstop's kit's are designed for each and every model of car, I made very intensive study on same and I can assure you that what I put in my OP was all correct if I had dropped a Bo##ock I would have posted that as well, last thing I would do is send peeps down the wrong road with things that don't work or are a waste of monies.

Having had the set up for a couple of weeks now and see how it works I would have been quite happy well not that happy to have paid more.

I have put my reply above so you will have to search for it. Sorry about that.

Heeeeeey I did not write all that stuff..........sad.png

• Like 1

Well this is Thailand as they say and even someone who has been here sometime and little knowledge of the braking performance of the vehicle they own will get conned into spending dosh.

OP you wasted money get over it, full stop.

Posted by Kwasaki:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Well this is Thailand as they say and even someone who has been here sometime and little knowledge of the braking performance of the vehicle they own will get conned into spending dosh.

OP you wasted money get over it, full stop.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

post-4641-1156693976.gif.pagespeed.ce.Jgpost-4641-1156693976.gif.pagespeed.ce.Jg1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-.gif ^ ^ ^ Not even!

Edited by thailoht

Posted 2014-08-13 16:50:21

I have had my Fortuner Sportivo for about 5 years now, having had the engine tweaked I thought it was about time for a brake upgrade.

Having made several inquiries I settled for a Runstop replacement kit for the rear drums.

Contacted BJ motors BKK [email protected] 022246580-2 very helpful. They wanted an email stating car model year engine wheel size etc I also asked about fitting of same.

Within an hour I had received a reply recommending their 320dics with twin callipers 27,500bt for the kit they also included a photo break down of how it's done looks easy and it is but unless you have all the right pulley's and presses your buggered.

They also recommended a fitting company not 10 minutes from where I live very handy.

After a trip to the fitter to discus the set up I was given a price of 4,000bt for fitting including a rear axle oil change recommended.

Paid a deposit and they ordered the parts this was a Monday afternoon by midday the next day they had receive the kit and Wednesday in I go at just after 8am. All sorted I was home at about 12.30pm after a little run round.

Right was the 31,500bt well spent.

Dose it stop better yes not to easy at first to give an accurate % wise answer just running about town but after just completing a return journey of some 1,000km fully loaded in high temperatures + the usual heavy rain, I can tell you it's fantastic I guesstimate at least 40/50% better.

It does take a bit of getting used to pressure peddle wise at first but after that it's all plain sailing.

Down side.

The hand brake isn't as effective as before on steep hills but an extra click on the handle sorts that out, other than that nothing.

N/B my Sportivo wheels have a 16" internal dimension leaving a gap of some 1.1/4 " between rim and the outside edge of the callipers so whether the standard Fortuner wheels can accommodate this set up I don't know. But what I do know that I should have had it done years ago.

Forgot their wed site it's www.runstopbj.com.

Congrats on your new brakes! I know you are going to enjoy them! clap2.gif

I had the exact same rear caliper brake upgrade kit installed on my brand new MU-7. I could not get to the upgrade center fast enough after I bought it. The improvement in braking was instantaneous and 'quite' noticeable and your description is what I experienced! Now my big MU-7 stops on a dime, with barely any brake pedal effort at all, like a good 4 wheel disc brake vehicle should! It helps me do these LOS mountains like Steve McQueen in, 'Bullit', and performs superbly in rain.

I upgraded to 4 wheel disc brakes because they are better than drum brakes and the brake of choice in higher model, more expensive cars - I would think any auto enthusiast knows that.

As confirmed by the Run-Stop tech, the factory brake bias valve to control the front rear % is factory set and was not been adjusted. They said the factory front rear % for my SUV is 45% - 55%. I have been driving 2 years now (31.5 km total) and I looked at my brake pad wear: The rear disc pads are wearing down faster than the front disc pads in my RWD (4x4 on-the-fly) vehicle.

Surprisingly, the techs also said that their caliper piston rubber dust boots only lasts 1 - 2 years! 2 of the 4 of my rear rubber dust boots are torn!

Edited by thailoht

Factory bias valves are usually non adjustable. Folk "hope" stuff will work out............whistling.gif

Rear pads wearing means bias is wrong. You have a major braking situation, the back will come round and stuff your day.

Having just discovered this pad wear and the 2 torn piston dust boots, of course I will be having it looked into.

Nice to know the Customers here know more than the Toyota and G.M. Engineers...Sadly the need to have 4 Red Brembo,or should i say Bimbo Covers is worth 35000 K Bht, whilst Honda go back to Rear Drums of late on some models due to Over-braking...suggest,some listen T.A.s advice. Leave well Alone!!.thumbsup.gif

Stopping distance remains the same.Overbraked Now. Waste of Money. But the Plastic Brembo Covers look nice.thumbsup.gif

I beg to differ. I put a BJmotors/runstop kit (320mm rears, 350mm fronts) onto my old Colorado pickup, the brakes on it were terrible with the 20" wheels (put the stockers on and it was tolerable).

Fitted this package and it stopped very well with the 20" wheels, infact it stopped a lot earlier than the oem with stock wheel. and before you say Iam lying, part of my employment is testing brake, tyre and suspension upgrade packages for the vehicle's we sell (who woulda thought that by adding 1000kg of armour to a vehicle it might need upgraded brakes/tyres and suspension).

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

Stopping distance remains the same.Overbraked Now. Waste of Money. But the Plastic Brembo Covers look nice.thumbsup.gif

I beg to differ. I put a BJmotors/runstop kit (320mm rears, 350mm fronts) onto my old Colorado pickup, the brakes on it were terrible with the 20" wheels (put the stockers on and it was tolerable).

Fitted this package and it stopped very well with the 20" wheels, infact it stopped a lot earlier than the oem with stock wheel. and before you say Iam lying, part of my employment is testing brake, tyre and suspension upgrade packages for the vehicle's we sell (who woulda thought that by adding 1000kg of armour to a vehicle it might need upgraded brakes/tyres and suspension).

Shall we call you spookman from now on or black water billy? Lol

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The OP's ride has stock wheels.

Unless the upgrade included an replacement bias valve to compensate for the increased braking efficiency of the rear wheels, overall braking efficiency would decrease not increase as the rear wheels would lock up more frequently. This would also cause the ABS to operate more frequently, increasing stopping distance in dry conditions (more than is normal) and also in wet conditions, comparative to the original design model.

Overall, not a good choice by the OP.

Jerry

I don'tt know if upgrading the rear brakes is good or bad but would not jump to conclusions. Hopefully Runstop are smart enough to design the rear disc brake setup to avoid dramatic imbalance and allowing the EBD / ABS to do its job.

Many current pickups and PPVs use EBD and may not have a hydraulic proportioning valve. Spoonman, do you know any details about EBD with your company brake upgrades? Do you know if EBD compensates and keeps the correct brake bias if only the rear brakes are upgraded like Fred and Thailoht?

It would be interesting to compare the brake systems on the Colorado pickup with drum rears and the Trailblazer with discs to see what differences GM made. Wonder if the EBD settings are the same.

Thailoht, if your rear brakes are wearing faster and your MU7 does have a proportioning valve and not EBD, the proportioning valve may need to be changed. Pickups used load sensing proportioning valves. If your MU7 has one, the bias may be able to be adjusted but the valves also use a low threshold pressure for the front discs to apply the rears first. That is why cars with disc/drum set ups used different valves to disc/disc.

Edited by Jitar
  • Like 2

EBD ?

The brakes on our vehicles varies, for the current T6 Ranger a new front slotted front rotor (in oem diametre) with better pads does the job, For the Everest we do a 381mm 2 piece front Harrop Rotor and 6 piston calipers, that also does the job.

Rear brakes are mostly left untouched as generally we are very front heavy (A 100kg windscreen will do that).

Our aim is to maintain OEM brake distances/specs with the additional weight we add to the vehicle.

This is the kit we put on the Everest (Harrop adapted it for the purpose).

http://www.harrop.com.au/brakedetail.php?prod=BK-ULTIMATEVTVZ

And yes it is a Bt,200,000 upgrade.

Edited by Spoonman

Factory bias valves are usually non adjustable. Folk "hope" stuff will work out............whistling.gif

Rear pads wearing means bias is wrong. You have a major braking situation, the back will come round and stuff your day.

Having just discovered this pad wear and the 2 torn piston dust boots, of course I will be having it looked into.

Not a bad idea. laugh.png

I would have thought that when adding 1000 kg armor most vehicles I see around here would come to a stand still when releasing the throttle.

I would have thought that when adding 1000 kg armor most vehicles I see around here would come to a stand still when releasing the throttle.

we offer a complete package that has the vehicle performing to OEM spec.

That is classic it should be pinned and locked at the the top.laugh.png

That is classic it should be pinned and locked at the the top.laugh.png

Are you saying Iam not telling the truth ?