Multi Non Immigrant B at Penang

I am currently in Penang and today received my latest Non Immigrant B visa from Penang.  That in itself is not news, I know, but the reason that I am reporting it is that I got this visa with less than six months remaining on my work permit.  (Usually they require nine months.)

The visa rules have changed in Penang over the past year.  When I came last year, I went to Jim at Jim's place with all my proper documentation, gave it to him and he did all the leg work returning to me my new visa in a couple of days.  The consulate now requires all applicants to apply in person.  After consulting with my accountant in Samui, she suggested I try for the year visa even though my work permit was not valid for the required length.  She also suggested using Jim again.

I took my paperwork to him and made him aware of the validity of my work permit.  He gave me a fifty fifty chance that I would still get a one year visa.  I went to his place the next morning at 8:30am.  A group of us went to the consulate in his assistant's car.  We all had to wait in line like everybody else.  The assistant waited for us.  When I got to the window, the man looked over all of my documentation including my original work permit that I always bring.  After a couple of minutes he returned my receipt for the one year visa.  He kept my work permit and passport together.  Today at 2:00pm, a group of us left from Jim's Place and got our visas.  Yay!  No need to get a 90 day visa twice before I renew my work permit in February.

Jim's Place still charged the same processing fee as before 500 baht even though the client has to go to the consulate themself now.  That may seem like a lot considering that I had already come with my own paperwork in order, but Jim did give some advice regarding how to best ensure that I get the one year visa.  Also not to discount the fact that we were given a ride to and from the consulate on two occasions.  He also gave me the confidence that I had a good chance of getting the visa.

I am not saying that Penang has changed its requirements on the work permit issue.  I am only letting people know that this requirement can apparently be overlooked if the official is in the right mood to overlook it.

That's my report.  Can put it on the sticky about visas in the nieghbouring countries if you like.

When I am back to Samui I will try to upload pictures of w.p. and visa to this thread.

The requirements for extension of stay are slightly more stringent than just getting a new visa. My taxes are a bit lower this way as my income is not the same as required for extension of stay. My social security payments for staff are also lower. The cost of the visa itself is lower. All that being said, doing it this way is still more expensive due to travel costs on my 90 day outings. The big difference for me is that I live in Koh Samui and when I do my 90 day run, I usually fly somewhere and take a two or three day holiday there. Island fever is a factor for me and if I have planned holidays that I have to take every 90 days, that doesn't upset me too much. If I were in the situation where I was jumping in a mini van every 90 days for a one day trip to hell and back, my viewpoint would probably be different.