Renewing a British Passport - Some questions

Hi. I'm currently filling in my application form to renew my British passport and have a couple of questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) It says give details of any uncancelled passports. Do they mean my current British passport or only any others I may hold? ( which I don't).

2)  It says a counter-signatory is needed but I read it as only if I can't be identified by my current passport photo (which is obviously me but a bit more craggy looking). Can I leave this section blank?

3) Do I need to have a counter-signatory sign my photos for the application? The problem I have is all the ex-pats I work with are non-Brits and they require a British person.

4) I take it they'll use the colour photocopies of my passport to send with my application and allow me to keep my current passport as I.D. should I need it?

When I go to the Trendy building next week I'll present the following. Do I need anything else?

My current passport and a colour photocopy of every page.

2 photos.

Filled in application form.

Filled in credit card payment form.

Letter on headed paper from my wife's employer's HR department confirming our address and explaining my circumstances ( they rent an apartment for us as part of her remuneration package)

Many thanks for any help.

Finally, after 3 months, my new passport is complete with my visa stamps.

I went today to Chiang Mai Immigration, arriving at 1.15.  I was told that the queue for today was already full (they process 20 applications a day), and that I should come back on Monday.  When they found out that I live over 50Kms from the office, they said I should wait until all todays applicants had been processed.  At 4pm I handed in my two passports, the completed application form, photocopies of each passport, and my letter from the British Embassy.  At 4.20pm my new passport was complete.

Compared with the old "inefficient" method of applying for my passport at the British Consulate, getting it back in 2 weeks, going straight to Immigration and getting the stamps transferred with no paper work, in 5 minutes, this has been a nightmare.  I wonder what hoops we will be jumping through in 10 years, if we are still here.

1) Yes, your current British passport

2) Yes

3) No

4) Yes

A checklist of the supporting docs you'll need to take with you to With-It Towers is in the PDF accessible via https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-passport-supporting-documents-group-2

Am i missing something ??

OP says he's sending a letter from his wife's employers as "proof of address", but on the Gov't website, it asks for photo evidence, which obviously will be your current passport....

Then, as far as the proof of address / residency goes  - surely a copy of your current visa (retirement for example) will suffice and no need for a letter from employer / immigration ?

Has anyone done an application via the new Trendy system that could enlighten me ??

Edited by properperson

2) Yes

3) No

4) Yes

A checklist of the supporting docs you'll need to take with you to With-It Towers is in the PDF accessible via https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-passport-supporting-documents-group-2

Am i missing something ??

OP says he's sending a letter from his wife's employers as "proof of address", but on the Gov't website, it asks for photo evidence, which obviously will be your current passport....

Then, as far as the proof of address / residency goes  - surely a copy of your current visa (retirement for example) will suffice and no need for a letter from employer / immigration ?

Has anyone done an application via the new Trendy system that could enlighten me ??

No, HMPO need proof of your name at a specific Thai address, if you can't furnish this they won't issue you with a replacement passport.

Several applicants under the new system have fallen foul of this particular aspect, since passports were moved from the FCO in Hong Kong to Liverpool.

HMPO requirements:

All applicants must provide one document showing photo identity and one document as evidence of name and address dated within the last year.

Photo Evidence
Please provide one of the following:
• your British passport (if you are renewing)
• non-British uncancelled passport
• national identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)
• driving licence
• any government or local government produced document which includes a photograph as part of the document.

Name and address evidence
Please provide one of the following:
• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)
• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority
• educational record eg school report
• employment record eg official letter from your employer
• letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department
• baptismal or naming certificate
• medical/health card
• voter’s card
• parents’ death certificates if applicable
• immigration documents.

Basically, in their goal of minimizing passport fraud, the British Government will now only issue a replacement passport if you can prove a residential address in the country that you are applying in.

If you can't show a residential address, then they expect you to return to the UK to apply for a replacement passport.

The days of backpackers and travelers getting UK Passports overseas are now firmly in the past.

• Like 1

2) Yes

3) No

4) Yes

Remember to sign all the copy passport pages as well.

In black.

• Like 1