Worried! I don't have 800,000 Baht in Thai bank.

Hello. Please forgive me if this is already covered somewhere else.

I'm Canadian, 62 years old. I got my O-A visa from the Royal Thai Embassy in Canada last year and spent four months in Thailand, primarily in Chiang Mai, last year from the middle of February to the middle of June...

But had to return to Canada to settle some family issues. That O-A is now expired.

Now, I wish to return to Thailand later this year or early next year. I'm sure it will be easy for me to once again get the O-A visa as I did last year. Police check, health form, and monthly income letter from the bank etc...

My only concern is .... after spending two years there,,,,, will I need to have 800,000 Baht deposited in a Thai account in order to spend more than two years there ? I read that after your second year is finished on an O-A retirement visa, that the person has to have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank.

Is that correct ?

Or is my more than 65,000 Baht per month income...... (more than 800,000 Baht per year income) enough ?

($38,000.00 Canadian per year...net.... after taxes. I have 1,112,000 Thai Baht ..clear...per year income.)

It's pension income that I get for the rest of my life....

But the thing is... I will have tremendous difficulty depositing 800,000 Baht into a Thai account.

That worries me. I might be limited to only two years in Thailand if 800,000 Baht is needed in a Thai account by the end of the second year in Thailand......

So hoping with the O-A Mutliple Entry "Retirement" Visa that I can get now..... they will be happy with my monthly and yearly income without putting 800,000 Baht in a Thai account.

That is my concern. I'm wondering what he facts are...... what should I do ?

Thank you for help .... best wishes...

• Like 1

OP ... Catoni. The previous post was a very good explanation of a way to get what you want done.

If you get a Non Immigrant Multi Entry Category 'O' Visa in Canada... when you arrive in Thailand you have a full year to apply for the Extension of Stay Based on Retirement. To me - having a more relaxed time to get everything together is the better way to go ... personal choice.

If you don't complete the Extension of Stay paperwork or have your funds transferred to a Thai Bank in the first 90 day stay... the worst that would happen is that you have to make a border run just before the first 90 days is up - exit and re-enter to get another 90 day stay ... and so forth. Perhaps you could take most of a year to build your savings up to the required level. Or just to think things through in a non hurried fashion

The Extension of Stay based on Retirement functions similarly to the 'O-A' Retirement 'Long Stay' Visa ... for all intents and purposes that is ... just not exactly the same... I would venture to say that most 'long stay' foreigners age 50 or over in Thailand are on the Extension of Stay.. The Extension of Stay only requires a 90 day report to the local immigration office in person or by post. Then at one year it is renewed.

• Like 1

For the OP getting a multiple entry non-o would be a waste of money. He has enough income to qualify for the extension. All he has to do is go to the Candandian embassy and get do statutory declaration for his income.

That is great to hear for the OP,,, but I just did not know that Canada had the same privilege as an American ... I thought that some countries did not ... But waste of money? My multi 'O' was only 200 USD... and the extra time allows for a contingency - in case any hiccups pop up along the way...

• Like 1

For the OP getting a multiple entry non-o would be a waste of money. He has enough income to qualify for the extension. All he has to do is go to the Candandian embassy and get do statutory declaration for his income.

That is great to hear for the OP,,, but I just did not know that Canada had the same privilege as an American ... I thought that some countries did not ... But waste of money? My multi 'O' was only 200 USD... and the extra time allows for a contingency - in case any hiccups pop up along the way...

" but I just did not know that Canada had the same privilege as an American ."

What privilege are you talking about? The requirements for an extension of stay based on retirement are not an American privilege. They are based on Thai immigrations' rules and regulations for people over 50 with the financial resources.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

" but I just did not know that Canada had the same privilege as an American ."

What privilege are you talking about? The requirements for an extension of stay based on retirement are not an American privilege. They are based on Thai immigrations' rules and regulations for people over 50 with the financial resources.

My use of the word privilege was a poor choice of words perhaps - but maybe not ... I just did not want to assume that citizens of all countries are treated exactly the same under Thai immigration law with respect to being allowed to use an Embassy verification of income letter / affidavit in lieu of having seasoned 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank. Because other Thailand Immigration Rules do in fact favor some countries with special privileges usually done via bilateral agreements - Example: Citizens of certain countries are granted the privilege of entering Thailand without a visa (due to bilateral agreements) - thus discriminating against other countries by not granting this same privilege. There is also (while not strictly immigration related) Americans by treaty are allowed to own corporations in Thailand without having to have Thai partners... other countries are not allow this privilege. In this regard I erred on the side of not making an assumption.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post. Very much appreciated. Being in Chiang Mai and the surrounding area last year for four months made me fall in love with the area, like it is home to me. I miss it very much.

I had the O-A Visa last year from the Royal Thai Embassy here in Ottawa, Canada. The people there were very kind and helpful to me.

While in Thailand, I had to do one 90 day report, as I was there for four months. It went very smoothly at the Immigration Center near the Chiang Mai airport.

Looking forward to returning later this year or early next year. And I might never return to Canada.. I'll be 63 before the end of the year..... time to relax in Thailand... Only thing I don't like..... the long flight from Toronto to Hong Kong over the Pole... and then to Bangkok and then to Chiang Mai...

Thank you again for your answers everyone...... blessings...

If your final destination is chiang mai, I would fly tronto - souel - chiang mai on korean air. transit in souel is few hrs, and it lands CNX around 10pm so no line for passport control.

OP do some reading here in the visa section and increase your knowledge of the extension of stay requirements as well s differences between visas and extensions a little bit of knowledge will make your stay in Thailand more enjoyable and not prone to bad information from ill informed people

• Like 1

Good info here, I have a bit of a funny situation:

I have two passports, American and New Zealand...

My current 60 day tourist visa is on my New Zealand passport (I have been here for over 5 years on a work permit attached to my NZ passport as well) and could be extended by 30 more days, and then again 60 + 30 days after re-entry to the LOS).

I'd rather get the retirement extension on my current NZ passport/visa... no need to leave the country and use my US passport, less hassle etc etc

Can I use my income affidavit just obtained from the American embassy to get the retirement extension of stay applied to my current New Zealand visa that is about to expire?

So your in a double entry tourist visa? wait till it is due to expire as you have already paid for it

Than go to immigration an have it changed to a non O visa ( 2,000 baht) valid for 90 days

get ur money in the bank (first application 60 days) and than apply for the 1 year extension.

US embassy will do the letter for 1,600 baht or $50,they do not ask for any proof of your income

My current 60 day tourist visa is on my New Zealand passport (I have been here for over 5 years on a work permit attached to my NZ passport as well) and could be extended by 30 more days, and then again 60 + 30 days after re-entry to the LOS).

I'd rather get the retirement extension on my current NZ passport/visa... no need to leave the country and use my US passport, less hassle etc etc

Can I use my income affidavit just obtained from the American embassy to get the retirement extension of stay applied to my current New Zealand visa that is about to expire?

You can try but I don't think they will accept income proof from a different country than the passport you will be using for the change of visa status and then the extension.

Do you have 15 days remaining on the 30 day extension? That is minimum you need to do a change of visa status.

I think you would need to ask the Immigration Office if they would accept that affidavit for the NZ passport.

There are plenty of companies that will assist individuals who do not have sufficient funds in obtaining a visa. They are located in Pattaya and Chang Mai, primarily. The fees usually run about 15,000 to 20,000 THB. Your visa may be processed the same day, without any worries or hassles. Come to Thailand as a tourist, and then contact one of these. The cost is a bit high, but many people find these companies useful.

So your in a double entry tourist visa? wait till it is due to expire as you have already paid for it

Than go to immigration an have it changed to a non O visa ( 2,000 baht) valid for 90 days

get ur money in the bank (first application 60 days) and than apply for the 1 year extension.

US embassy will do the letter for 1,600 baht or $50,they do not ask for any proof of your income

Thanks phuketrichard!

I have been here for 60 days at the beginning of next month. I was told that I can extend this for another 30 days before the 60 days is up, for a total of 90 days

I was also told that if I re-entered before the visa is expired, that would give me ANOTHER 60 days, that could also be extended for 30 days.

I would then apply for the retirement extension...

Does above sound correct?

For extensions of stay the rules are the same for everybody.

The only problem is a persons embassy as far as getting the income letter. Some don't do them while others make them difficult get.

Or a consul. But I hope one day that a letter stating pension income only needs to be produced once for Immigration, say every five years (to show pensions still being paid), not every year as is the case now.

There are plenty of companies that will assist individuals who do not have sufficient funds in obtaining a visa. They are located in Pattaya and Chang Mai, primarily. The fees usually run about 15,000 to 20,000 THB. Your visa may be processed the same day, without any worries or hassles. Come to Thailand as a tourist, and then contact one of these. The cost is a bit high, but many people find these companies useful.

It's also illegal to do that

OP, I see absolutely no problem with your financial situation. I am Canadian and have extendined 4 years now based on a pension income letter from a Cdn company, which I take to the embassy. They use a form letter with appropriate polite language with the exact monthly income I am paid.

As TallGuy says, get your pension provider to give you the GROSS figure before taxes. The embassy staff ignore that and merely provide the bare number. Easy! They are very nice at the embassy. BTW, an after-tax number is very misleading and may not even be close by the end of the year. Whereas a pension payout gross number is usually bang on.

Edit: As for Americans, the only "privilege" they have is they can just make income sh1t up at their embassy. No proof needed, according to my American friends. Unless that has changed. However, Cdns must proove income.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

OP, I see absolutely no problem with your financial situation. I am Canadian and have extendined 4 years now based on a pension income letter from a Cdn company, which I take to the embassy. They use a form letter with appropriate polite language with the exact monthly income I am paid.

As TallGuy says, get your pension provider to give you the GROSS figure before taxes. The embassy staff ignore that and merely provide the bare number. Easy! They are very nice at the embassy. BTW, an after-tax number is very misleading and may not even be close by the end of the year. Whereas a pension payout gross number is usually bang on.

He have a lot more than 65k a month. Both gross or net. So it's not any problem.

($38,000.00 Canadian per year...net.... after taxes. I have 1,112,000 Thai Baht ..clear...per year income.)

Edited by bangkoklasse

Go to the Candandian embassy and do a statutory declaration for your monthly income. You then only need 5000Bt in a bank account. Just completed mine without a hitch last week.

Why would he need 5000 in a Thai bank? When he have more than a million in income

Go to the Candandian embassy and do a statutory declaration for your monthly income. You then only need 5000Bt in a bank account. Just completed mine without a hitch last week.

I'm not disputing this but it's the first time I've heard of this in 10 years of following immigration discussions, that you can just simply swear you make a certain income. My letter for immigration says I produced a Canada sourced income statement.

But where does 5000 baht come from?

Not sure about CM, but getting a retirement Visa is much easier in Thailand, you do not need all the police and health stuff. I think I can safely say you can be here until you die and the qualification will still be the same, unless they change the rule at some point,

I believe the rule of thumb regarding money is? you can use a combination of both or one or the other. So based on your reply you have monthly more than is necessary, just get a letter from your Embassy statement such. Because each office seem to be different or applying the rule they seem fit I usually have both? Last, year I just submitted the income letter from the Embassy which was much more than the 60-65,000 required and never gave them the bank letter.although I did spend the money for one!

To qualify for an extension you need:

- 800,000 in bankaccount in Thailand

OR

- an income of 65,000 a month

Or

- a combination of yearly income and money in the bank totaling at least 800,000 baht.

In otherwords your income is enough to qualify you for an extension of stay. You will need to rpoof you income to immigraiton with a letter from your embassy confirming your income. Your embassy decides what they accept as proof.

You don't need to get a O-Avisa, if you apply for a non-O visa at a honorary consulate in Canada you will get a permission to stay for 90 days wihout medical certificate of police check. Near the end of those 90 days you apply for a 1 year extension of stay at immirgaiton in Thailand.

I know if married to a Thai you need 400,000฿ In the bank, but does the monthly income remain the same?

I have been living/working here for 24 years.

This year I sold my condo in Bangkok, unfortunately the proceeds of the sale ,money was 2 weeks short of the due date to renew my annual retirement visa.

I therefore decided to take the option of renewing my visa using an agent in Pattaya (B13,000). This was very painless and completed in 1 day - "Amazing Thailand". A good friend of mine has been using this option for the past 3 years and has never encountered any problems.

I understand BangkokLasse's comments about the legality of this option, however having been here for such a long time nothing really surprises me about the many options Thai Entrepreneurs get round Thai legal challenges,

My recommendation to the Canadian retiree is to "Go FOR IT". This is after reading some of the recent posts of members being here for 14 years on an "OVERSTAY" and paying B20,000.

To qualify for an extension you need:

- 800,000 in bankaccount in Thailand

OR

- an income of 65,000 a month

Or

- a combination of yearly income and money in the bank totaling at least 800,000 baht.

In otherwords your income is enough to qualify you for an extension of stay. You will need to rpoof you income to immigraiton with a letter from your embassy confirming your income. Your embassy decides what they accept as proof.

You don't need to get a O-Avisa, if you apply for a non-O visa at a honorary consulate in Canada you will get a permission to stay for 90 days wihout medical certificate of police check. Near the end of those 90 days you apply for a 1 year extension of stay at immirgaiton in Thailand.

I know if married to a Thai you need 400,000฿ In the bank, but does the monthly income remain the same?

For extension of stay based upon marriage it is 400k baht in the bank for 60 days or an income of 40k baht. A combination of the two is not allowed.

• Like 1