Tourist numbers in Thailand increase by 22.7% in July

webfact

Tourist numbers in Thailand increase by 22.7% in July

BANGKOK, 15 August 2014 (NNT) –The Department of Tourism has noted a trend towards a recovery in tourism arrivals in Thailand with tourist numbers increasing 22.7% in July.

The Director General of the Department of Tourism said the tourist numbers to Thailand in July 2014 had increased by 22.7%, or 1,914,582 arrivals, compared to the previous month, and brought into circulation about 89,816 million baht, which was a good trend towards recovery.

The number of tourists in Thailand in the first 7 months of the year from January to July 2014 reached 13,626,929, a reduction of 10.47% compared to the same time last year.

Visitor numbers from China decreased most with a 21.19% drop due to the political turmoil, while most tourists travelling to Thailand are Chinese, Malaysian, and Russians.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-08-15 footer_n.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheesy.gif This must be on the timetable as an ' increase ' day.

And the prediction for the next 7 and three quarter months will be the same as it was a few years ago together with the weakening of the baht we forsee a decrease next week followed by a mega jump in 2017.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Try asking any hotelier how their occupancy numbers are. I don't think they will be talking about any increases.

Will be interesting to see how tourist numbers will increase if they start enforcing the "you must carry you passport and register every time you travel to a new location" law.

Seems like they are their own worst enemy some times.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Visitor numbers from China decreased most with a 21.19% drop due to the political turmoil, while most tourists travelling to Thailand are Chinese, Malaysian, and Russians.

how do u understand that?

perhaps it means there are so many Chinese Tourists that a 21 % drop and they are still Top 3. That is frightening

• Like 1

The Russians are making up the numbers ???? while TAT are really making up the numbers

July and August are the month with holidays in the schools in Europe.

If you want to holiday with your children it will be one of these month.

They must compare July 2014 with July 2013 to get some meaningful information.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I was in Pattaya at the end of July and it was pretty much deserted apart from Saturday afternoon at Central Mall ,when it was packed .....with Thais

Pattaya isn't Thailand

Are we not talking about Tourists in Resorts. Oh wait ," I went to Ayutthaya and it was empty" , not really relevant to the subject really is it

Exactly..July and August have always been a " mini high season ".

September will be very quiet again.

I live in Koh Chang since 10 years, i've never seen fewer tourists..So, i guess the numbers are lower than July 2013.

Still they are building bigger and bigger hotels blink.png

• Like 1

Thailand is already in a technical recession with 2q of negative GDP growth;

see:

http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/Business-News/2014/08/02/Softer-growth-in-Asean-Malaysia-likely-the-only-country-in-the-region-to-see-faster-growth-this-year/

they say it will rebounce in 2nd half of this year but i hardly doubt it.

This should be the fastest growing economy in SE asia.

I live in Koh Chang since 10 years, i've never seen fewer tourists..So, i guess the numbers are lower than July 2013.

That is also an issue, if you increase the capacity every year by 10 % but only 5 % more customer come than all hotels will be less full....

That is also an issue, if you increase the capacity every year by 10 % but only 5 % more customer come than all hotels will be less full....

IMO is a big issue..

Many folks who loved this island are not coming anymore, for this reason.

Plus, more hotels mean more pollution, not to speak about the endless bore caused by big trucks transporting cement etc.

I asked a Thai friend about this nonsense, he told me the hotels are for the Chinese tourists, which are supposed to come in droves soon.

I am skeptical about it.

Tourist numbers are up? Been to Udon, Nong Khai lately? I think not and frankly glad of it. Yea, I know we aren't Thailand, and neither is any place else.

Because were 5 sip 5 sip Laos here in Udon Thani======Issan Laos. thumbsup.gif

The Russians are making up the numbers ???? while TAT are really making up the numbers

according to lots of thais and friends here, the Russians are leaving as they can no longer get their 90 day visa exempt stamp

wont see me shedding any tears

and without the Chinese in Phuket it would be DEAD

Was there really that amount of overstayers ?

Na, it was all those Chinese stranded and the count was taken every 2 hours, by TAT then they had to have a meeting at the Oriental for 2 days to work out who is here and who is not here, and multiply by 2.cheesy.gif

This actually means nothing.
22% increase....from the last month ( which is June when young traveller are on exams in Europe and on holiday in July :)

The actual real info is : during the 1st 7months, the visit of tourist decrease of 21.98%...that s all.