New German bakery/cafe Jomtien 2nd road

balo

I was just driving past a new building on my way to soi watboon , its a german bakery , I think the name is back haus . The location is next to 7 eleven , about 200 meters before soi watboon. I could see they just had opened and they had a very big breakfast menu and they bake daily fresh bread and cakes . And surprisingly they open 6 AM in the morning !

I am very pleased with this news , if the european bread is as good as I think it is , I dont have to travel all the way to Friendship anymore. Anyone tried to eat there?

I will check it out tomorrow .

Edited by balo

I had my coffee here today and made some comments in the Hit n Run Restaurant Thread.

I think this place is a winner.

And Pattaya's largest demographic will be pleased to know they served me free water with the coffee.

clap2.gif

• 3 months later...

Do they have french croissant and chocolate bread ? And actually are they still open ? This is Thailand :-)

Yes they are open every day from 6 AM , except Monday when its closed. . Great sandwich and breakfast menu . And lots of cakes , croissants and bread.

Edited by balo

I've been there and will definitely be a repeat customer. The food is good, the service is excellent and the owner is very personable. Just the friendliness of the owner (he's German

but speaks excellent English) will keep me coming back.

Refreshing to eat at a truly professional establishment with a quality product.

According to the photo above, one eclair (which is not a very expensive type of pasty) at this bakery costs more than an entire cooked breakfast with a large mug of tea at the Irish Wolfhound. And that breakfast is not bad quality by any stretch of the imagination.

According to the photo above, one eclair (which is not a very expensive type of pasty) at this bakery costs more than an entire cooked breakfast with a large mug of tea at the Irish Wolfhound. And that breakfast is not bad quality by any stretch of the imagination.

I can get 2 hamburgers AND a bottle of water at 7/11 for about the same price as a chocolate eclair!

Only a complete fool would pay that kind of money for a pastry!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I can get 2 hamburgers AND a bottle of water at 7/11 for about the same price as a chocolate eclair!

What are you guys talking about ?

A Eclair is 65 Baht.

Their prices sounds reasonable to me for quality baked products and desserts.

I can see comparing like to like as valid.

For example, there is a better eclair at this other place and it actually costs less ... wow, now that is USEFUL information.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

You're complaining about the price of an eclair that cost $1.50 ?

I agree its more expensive than at the normal Thai bakeries but their cakes are made with the finest ingredients. Their farmers bread is 165 baht, try to compare that with 30 baht 7 eleven bread is kinda useless.

You wont find better quality this side of Thailand.

I agree its more expensive than at the normal Thai bakeries but their cakes are made with the finest ingredients.

Actually it's USD2. And to me that is an expensive eclair, even by Thai standards of bakery pricing which are already very high compared to (say) the UK.

Eclairs are in fact a very cheap sort of pasty to make and I doubt that this bakery uses anything more than standard catering ingredients from Makro for them. But I would be interested to learn otherwise.

Egads. Just don't buy your eclairs there then. Anyway nobody NEEDS an eclair anyway. Tip -- definitely avoid San Francisco or the 10 dollar toast there might put you over the edge.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I agree its more expensive than at the normal Thai bakeries but their cakes are made with the finest ingredients.

Actually it's USD2. And to me that is an expensive eclair, even by Thai standards of bakery pricing which are already very high compared to (say) the UK.

Eclairs are in fact a very cheap sort of pasty to make and I doubt that this bakery uses anything more than standard catering ingredients from Makro for them. But I would be interested to learn otherwise.

I'm not going to let a silly thing like 2$ get between me and a nice snack.

Egads. Just don't buy your eclairs there then. Anyway nobody NEEDS an eclair anyway. Tip -- definitely avoid San Francisco or the 10 dollar toast there might put you over the edge.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

On a trip back to Canada earlier in the fall, I noticed that most pasties in the supermarkets were about 60 baht each. Very high quality as competition is fierce.

On the other hand, pastries were often on sale for 30 baht each.

His bread is very good. His pastries are only so-so.

I was there this morning and ordered the Scandinavian Breakfast.

I'm sure to come back, but I have some suggestions for improvements on that specific menu:

1. Because this is actually a bakery, and I came 08.10 in the morning I expect to get FRESH baked bread and not something taken out from yesterdays left overs.

2. I also want butter enough to at least have 3 slices, not enough for 1.

3. Skip the salmon altogether and replace it with yoghurt and flakes / cereals

4. Skip the shrimps in the omelette (who told them scandinavians wants shrimps in the omelette for breakfast?

5. Skip the syrup (I guess it-s the Thai Cross-over but then should have been renamed to scandinavian breakfast thai style)

6. I'm a reader so I expect the current Bangok Post at least, and not the one from November 20th...

7. Please add some slices of cheese OR salami and cucumber and we are talking about serious heaven.

However, the bread that was eatable was good, the omelette was good, the juice fresh, cool atmoshpere and all in all a place I want to try again, probably tomorrow. I also bought bread, that will be tested during the day :)

AND: Why on earth is the place called BACK FABRIK instead of FINE GERMAN BAKERY outside?? I pass by the place EVERY MORNING and didn't stop a single time (for a good month) until I read about it HERE. I am 100% in the the customer demographic and still did miss it. Marketing is obviously failing. I suggest changing the top name to FINE GERMAN BAKERY with LIGHTS. Then I can see it on the way home in the evening.

Backfabrik is German for Backing Factory.

But it is, of course, not a factory but more like a traditional German bakery. Thus, comparisons with supermarkets in North America are out of place. The quality of the flour, artisanal production by a fully trained master baker is something different from processing pre-fabricated, half-ready, deep frozen, many months old, products that are sold as fresh in supermarkets.

Put differently and with reference to the country ant is culture, it is like going to a high-class business joint on ratchada instead of hanging out at the coconut bar. The latter might have its charms but sometimes people long for something different.

• Like 1

This is definitely not for people on a budget, and I suggest KittenKong and others on a budget

go and seek out the 60 Baht breakfasts - plenty of those in Pattaya.

Me and my family enjoy the better quality food, and so far have been enjoying breakfasts at

Back Fabrik at least once a week for the last 4 weeks ...

We have also bought several different breads and other items, and are extremely happy with

the quality. In my opinion the prices are very fair for what I am getting there.

luudee

Edited by luudee
  • Like 2