a few questions about renting a condo directly from the owner

tomtom345

hi all , well i have a few questions about how to safely rent a condo directly from the owner:
1) if i rent directly from the owner who needs to pay for the lawyer who does and signs the contract?
is it only the owner? or both of us?
2) do you know any lawyer companies that do condo rental contracts? how much do such contracts cost?
3) do i need to register the renting contract in some goverment or citty office in pattaya? if so what goverment/city office ? and do i need to pay a fee at the goverment/city office?
4) what documents do i need to see from the owner to make sure he truly is the owner of the condo and not a scammer?

hi all , well i have a few questions about how to safely rent a condo directly from the owner:
1) if i rent directly from the owner who needs to pay for the lawyer who does and signs the contract?
is it only the owner? or both of us?
2) do you know any lawyer companies that do condo rental contracts? how much do such contracts cost?
3) do i need to register the renting contract in some goverment or citty office in pattaya? if so what goverment/city office ? and do i need to pay a fee at the goverment/city office?
4) what documents do i need to see from the owner to make sure he truly is the owner of the condo and not a scammer?

Never used a lawyer. Owner should give u a signed copy of his id card.

Report your new address to immigration

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Most renters or management companies will use a standard contract that they just fill in the blanks if they even bother with a contract at all.

You should always insist on a contract, as for a lawyer that's up to you.

well "brave" robroona in my country people always use lawyers when renting an apartment.
so i guess asking this question and finding out that i don't even need to pay a lawyer was good for me but it seems like it bothers you , well i honestly don't care. Edited by tomtom345

you should read the contract carefully and fully understand what it says. For example, you shouldn't be liable for any repairs and there should be what is referred to as a ‘ fair wear and tear ‘ passage in the contract. Without this some owners can try it on  sometimes and try to use repairs as an excuse to hold on to part or  all of the deposit you will be required to pay which is equivalent to about two months rent.
  • Like 2

I wish you all the best tomtom,
But in all honesty i fear your time in LOS maybe somewhat challenging.

Theres gonna be alot more "interesting" situations ahead of you.

But hey there gonna get your post count up in double quick time.

Welcome to the synical but often truthfull world of TV.
;-)

On a lighter note ,

The mrs has just has just arrived to the living room with a cup of coffee and a packet of chocolate coated hobnobs :-)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by N47HAN

well "brave" robroona in my country people always use lawyers when renting an apartment.
so i guess asking this question and finding out that i don't even need to pay a lawyer was good for me but it seems like it bothers you , well i honestly don't care.

Guess what , you aint in "your country" now tomtom.

Listen to some of the comments they just might help you. ;-)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by N47HAN

I would never give a "two months" deposit. Pay the first month and a deposit equal to one month or less. Those asking for the first month plus two months deposit are the ones wanting to scam you. I would also demand a few nights stay before I paid anything as things might not work or noise not disclosed etc.. Careful out there mate as you said, some will rent you a condo they don't own or even have the permission from said "owner" to rent. Same with "bar owners". You will find many bars for rent from various people who have no basis to rent or sell it. It is indeed a wicked world here in Pattaya. Many feast on the unknowing. Good on you for asking. 

2 months deposit is standard throughout Thailand if renting a year up and has nothing to do with scamming.
Mostly the contract will be for aminimum 1 year and after that it's silently extended until you want to move out in which there is mostly one month notice.

• Two months may be your standard , not mine . I always include that the deposit should be used for the last rental payments . If they don't like it I walk . The last landlord  told me (foolish ) you lose your deposit . I said fine I won't pay rent and I will not move . A week later he called back and said "negotiate "wub.png wub.pngwub.png  

I would never give a "two months" deposit. Pay the first month and a deposit equal to one month or less. Those asking for the first month plus two months deposit are the ones wanting to scam you. I would also demand a few nights stay before I paid anything as things might not work or noise not disclosed etc.. Careful out there mate as you said, some will rent you a condo they don't own or even have the permission from said "owner" to rent. Same with "bar owners". You will find many bars for rent from various people who have no basis to rent or sell it. It is indeed a wicked world here in Pattaya. Many feast on the unknowing. Good on you for asking. 

2 months deposit is standard throughout Thailand if renting a year up and has nothing to do with scamming.
Mostly the contract will be for aminimum 1 year and after that it's silently extended until you want to move out in which there is mostly one month notice.

Agree totally here with you , over the last decade we have rented many places both resedential and commercial and two months is the norm.

Of course if the poster can get a better deal then good to him , but to say if they ask for two months they are scammers is ludicrous.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If your renting in a large condo make sure you get the real owners signature not the building manager signing on behalf of the owner. Take photos of all obvious damage that existed prior to moving in. Ask if your being billed at the electric company rate not the inflated condo rate. We get our bill direct from the electric company. Check on the water rate as well.

You and the owner have to sign the paper. No lawyer involved until one party wants to make a case of it. No need to regist anywhere also.

To Play safe , the owner must
- Provide you his Thai Id ( with his initial on it)
- Show you the last water & electricity bills , you can see his name on it.

- Able to show the House Registed Paper which say that room belong to him. ( otherwise you can ask the main office in that condo who is the unit's owner. )
  • Like 1

Agree totally here with you , over the last decade we have rented many places both resedential and commercial and two months is the norm.

Of course if the poster can get a better deal then good to him , but to say if they ask for two months they are scammers is ludicrous.

Two months isn't any "norm". Sure, many will ask for two months but it is usually to cover some hidden commission and not a "security deposit" as westerners think. I know many people who have trouble getting said "deposit" back and it isn't like there is some Government agency which is going to help not to mention, a lawsuit would be a waste of time.

Fact remains, one month in advance and one months deposit is suffice to cover the last month and electricity and any damages. Spending a few nights before making any payment is also a smart move. They don't like it? Screw em, find another. I in fact wouldn't pay the last month with the notice but that's just me. I've learned you simply can't trust these people. "These people" is defined as those in the rental business or who own units they want to rent and Thai's and Farangs in said "business"(sales and rental). Not to be trusted. But it's your money, go ahead and lose it if so inclined. 

• Like 2

Two months isn't any "norm". Sure, many will ask for two months but it is usually to cover some hidden commission and not a "security deposit" as westerners think. I know many people who have trouble getting said "deposit" back and it isn't like there is some Government agency which is going to help not to mention, a lawsuit would be a waste of time.

Fact remains, one month in advance and one months deposit is suffice to cover the last month and electricity and any damages. Spending a few nights before making any payment is also a smart move. They don't like it? Screw em, find another. I in fact wouldn't pay the last month with the notice but that's just me. I've learned you simply can't trust these people. "These people" is defined as those in the rental business or who own units they want to rent and Thai's and Farangs in said "business"(sales and rental). Not to be trusted. But it's your money, go ahead and lose it if so inclined. 

“in fact wouldn't pay the last month with the notice but that's just me”

But I have seen leases that include a clause which expressly forbid the tenant from doing this? Who knows though, maybe these days you might have the power to negotiate for the removal of this provision.

thx everyone for the support and helpfull anserws.
i have two more questions though , i printed the rental contract from slice of thai , but i didn't see a section there which states that i could pay my last month or 2 months with the deposit money.
how do i make sure my last month stay would be payed by the deposit instead of me paying a monthly rent?
and do i need to register the "rental contract" at the immigration office in jomtien or show it to someone there? Edited by tomtom345

With so little return on renting with so many "Cheap Charlies" about no wonder there are so many unused condos that are not for rent.

Having seen:

• Brand new sheets that were left for the use of, at the end of a 6 month let that had not been washed during the let, they were filthy with tears in them , the mattress protector provided had not been used and therefore the mattress was wrecked too.
  • A door was wrenched off the wardrobe.
  • Decent plates, dishes and cutlery replaced with cheap plastic ones
  • Remote for the TV smashed and a hole in the wall where it had been thrown.
  • Sink full of dirty washing and half eaten takeaways everywhere
  • Refuse everywhere.
  • tobacco burns on furniture, place stinking of tobacco.

The list is endless, the renter did not pay his last two months and did a moonlight a few days before the end of the month with the keys, the deposit of 16K did not cover the damage, new locks, cleaning fees and unpaid utility charges, let alone the unpaid rent.

it's sad that some people in this forum get enjoyment in theyr'e pathetic life from belittling other forum members for asking questions about things they dont know about in a foreign country which is nick named "the land of scams".
of cousre they are only brave to do such things online ...

It's like the kid in class asking the stupid questions, other kids would snicker at him only that everyone wanted to ask the same question,, this is a forum, ask any question you want because it's an open forum and i personally am very interested in this post because i have been wondering about this myself,, welcome to the land of scams and i don't want to be scammed. Please keep posting about anything as i am probably thinking about your question right now,, what about the,,,,,,,,

thx everyone for the support and helpfull anserws.
i have two more questions though , i printed the rental contract from slice of thai , but i didn't see a section there which states that i could pay my last month or 2 months with the deposit money.
how do i make sure my last month stay would be payed by the deposit instead of me paying a monthly rent?
and do i need to register the "rental contract" at the immigration office in jomtien or show it to someone there?

"I didn't see a section there which states that i could pay my last month or 2 months with the deposit money".
You are not supposed to pay the last months rent with your deposit. It is a security deposit against unpaid bills and damage.
Just think for a minute, if you paid the last months rent with your security deposit, you could trash the place and skip on
utility payments and the owner of the condo has to pay for all repairs and bills himslf.

The only time this happens is when the owner has spent your deposit and has no way to refund it to you, so he says you can pay
the last months rent with the security deposit.

well lensta from i what read in this forum owners not paying the deposit back is a common occurrence.
if it's so common it makes sense not to pay the last month. and from what i read in this forum that's what the vast majority of thais who rent apartments do ...
so how do i write down in thai that the last month would be taken from the deposit? Edited by tomtom345