Thai total disrespect for the dead?!

konying

I'm trying to get my head around the OP's post. 

The OP needs to understand that most Thais do not have a Western-style relationship with their pet dog. The Thai dog, a completely mongrel breed, is allowed to run free and breed indiscriminately, is never disciplined, is rarely petted, and frequently has an untimely demise in collisions with motor vehicles.  It's main value to the owner is to serve as a burglar alarm. Using a leash, walking it, grooming it , teaching it tricks, being attentive to its healthcare, letting it into the house, or developing a strong emotional bond with it are all alien concepts to the overwhelming majority of Thais. While some Thais have adopted Westernized standards of caring for and interacting with their dogs, they are few and far between.

It has been my experience that veterinarians in Thailand do not consider disposal of pet remains to be part of their job description. They expect the owner of the pet to come pick up and dispose of the remains themselves. Those Thais who cremate their pets are only doing so because they live in an urban area where disposal is problematic. I have never heard of a dog being cremated out in the countryside. In most cases the carcass is dumped somewhere where the odor won't become overwhelming and allowed to decompose, a process which takes just a few weeks in the tropical heat.  This may sound barbaric to some Westerners, but economy and pragmatism are the driving forces here.The concept of keeping a deceased pet's remains in an urn most Thais would find bizzare, if not downright comical. It should be noted that this isn't even a common practice in the West.  I strongly suspect this is why an urn was not provided to you. 4500 baht for the cremation service, especially when the dog's remains have to be shipped to and from the crematorium does not sound unreasonable to me for a service located in Bangkok. Also, I do not believe pet euthanasia is widely practiced in Thailand, perhaps for religious reasons.

Because the cultures are so different, it is unrealistic to expect that veterinarian and pet cremation services will conform to a 'T' with the standards and expectations you may have become accustomed to back home. You might as well expect the vet hospital to have available grief counselors, a Julliard trained organist to play your favorite hymns, and a grieving chapel on premises. It's simply not realistic. I also think the OP needs to be more understanding of the fact that English isn't the first language for Thais. Mis-spelling of a pet's name, at the risk of sounding horribly insensitive, hardly constitutes a traumatizing event.  Once the OP has recovered from the stress of losing his pet, I hope he will give some thought to finding ways to prevent inevitable minor aggravations such as these from mushrooming into major irritations. 

it was just another excuse to denigrate thais

I agree with the OP - it was appalling service.

Forget Thai or western, to receive the remains back (especially from a veterinary business) in than manner is disgraceful.

I would suggest that it would not happen that way in the west.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The OP needs to understand that most Thais do not have a Western-style relationship with their pet dog. The Thai dog, a completely mongrel breed, is allowed to run free and breed indiscriminately, is never disciplined, is rarely petted, and frequently has an untimely demise in collisions with motor vehicles.  It's main value to the owner is to serve as a burglar alarm. Using a leash, walking it, grooming it , teaching it tricks, being attentive to its healthcare, letting it into the house, or developing a strong emotional bond with it are all alien concepts to the overwhelming majority of Thais. While some Thais have adopted Westernized standards of caring for and interacting with their dogs, they are few and far between.

It has been my experience that veterinarians in Thailand do not consider disposal of pet remains to be part of their job description. They expect the owner of the pet to come pick up and dispose of the remains themselves. Those Thais who cremate their pets are only doing so because they live in an urban area where disposal is problematic. I have never heard of a dog being cremated out in the countryside. In most cases the carcass is dumped somewhere where the odor won't become overwhelming and allowed to decompose, a process which takes just a few weeks in the tropical heat.  This may sound barbaric to some Westerners, but economy and pragmatism are the driving forces here.The concept of keeping a deceased pet's remains in an urn most Thais would find bizzare, if not downright comical. It should be noted that this isn't even a common practice in the West.  I strongly suspect this is why an urn was not provided to you. 4500 baht for the cremation service, especially when the dog's remains have to be shipped to and from the crematorium does not sound unreasonable to me for a service located in Bangkok. Also, I do not believe pet euthanasia is widely practiced in Thailand, perhaps for religious reasons.

Because the cultures are so different, it is unrealistic to expect that veterinarian and pet cremation services will conform to a 'T' with the standards and expectations you may have become accustomed to back home. You might as well expect the vet hospital to have available grief counselors, a Julliard trained organist to play your favorite hymns, and a grieving chapel on premises. It's simply not realistic. I also think the OP needs to be more understanding of the fact that English isn't the first language for Thais. Mis-spelling of a pet's name, at the risk of sounding horribly insensitive, hardly constitutes a traumatizing event.  Once the OP has recovered from the stress of losing his pet, I hope he will give some thought to finding ways to prevent inevitable minor aggravations such as these from mushrooming into major irritations. 

Forget Thai or western, to receive the remains back (especially from a veterinary business) in than manner is disgraceful.

that is exactly the point. it didnt happen in the west and thais do not have the same ideas about the bodies of dead animals that western cultures do

that is exactly the point. it didnt happen in the west and thais do not have the same ideas about the bodies of dead animals that western cultures do

It wouldn't hurt then to improve. They are slowly managing in catering with food quality and service.

I fully appreciate the attitude of most Thais to animals but if one has requested the cremation of a pet (and the return of ashes) it presupposes a degree of feeling towards the animal. Better, more sensitive presentation of such ashes is not too much to expect.

"The Thais do it this way" is no longer an acceptable excuse.

It wouldn't hurt then to improve. They are slowly managing in catering with food quality and service.

I fully appreciate the attitude of most Thais to animals but if one has requested the cremation of a pet (and the return of ashes) it presupposes a degree of feeling towards the animal. Better, more sensitive presentation of such ashes is not too much to expect.

lol! by improve you are saying that the western way is superior! what arrogance!!

^ It's torrential here today Davo, I'm sending the clouds south to you !

A and yes, I can do Coffee with you guys if I end up going south....and at this rate I will be floating past shortly ...some really heavy rain.....Thailand style.

lol! by improve you are saying that the western way is superior! what arrogance!!

Take your head out from your ar5e - the Thais have much to learn.

This is just one minor example.

evryone can stand to learn more. but that doesnt make western culture superior in regards to attitudes toward dead animals. only a chauvinist would think so. and i would recommend you tone down the personal stuff.

• Like 2

I was more surprised with the comment from the OP of ... "and 30 000 baht for 27 hours she was in the hospital" ...  w00t.gif

What on Earth would cost that?

As a matter of comparison ... Private Hospital for a child birth, 4 days 3 nights, C-Section, a squillion people in the OR taking care of this and that ... cost Bt 42,000

We had a sick cat in the Vet's (poor bugger had stones it couldn't pass) ... overnights @ the Vets, saline drip  Bt 600 a night.

Pet animal, just over a day ... Bt 30,000 ...  blink.png

To make you more shocked, this animal hospital chain not only charges nursing fee but also service charge.

you didnt ask what their fees were first?

Find another thread to troll , you are boresome.

Which part of nursing charge and service charge are you struggling to comprehend ?

Ignore them mate. There are a couple of posters that feel the need to comment on nearly every single thread, regardless of their experience and knowledge.  Know-it-alls, thread-hijackers,trolls, pains-in-the ar**?

How very rude to make such comments on a thread where you have lost a love one. 

I'm sure the money is not important to you right now. Take it easy.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

^ Yum, more kilos.

I stayed there many years ago, very woggy.

Gold Coast is very manic, crazy drivers, they make the Bkk rush hours look like a country drive !

You probably can't see it.....you are probably one of them 55555555

.........the OP should note, the Thais might not respect for the dead.....the gold coastians have no respect for the living, 7-8 lames of terrifying hell, lane swapping and excess speed. Shocking stuff.

Take your head out from your ar5e - the Thais have much to learn.

This is just one minor example.

evryone can stand to learn more. but that doesnt make western culture superior in regards to attitudes toward dead animals. only a chauvinist would think so. and i would recommend you tone down the personal stuff.

You made the accusation against the OP of denigrating Thais.

I saw NOTHING to suggest that (other than his own lead in for you at the outset by referencing Thai bashing). It wasn't Thai bashing it was service bashing. If that failing is a result of 'Thai ways' so be it.

I agree 100% that western culture is far from superior but jumping on the Thai defence bandwagon was just gratuitous.

The Thais have much to learn, as we both agree, I have been encouraged by the ability of many to do so - whether it be by western influence or not.

Service is one such area. 

In this case the service from a vet should be better as they better understand that a dog can be part of the family - not just part of the food chain.

Ignore them mate. There are a couple of posters that feel the need to comment on nearly every single thread, regardless of their experience and knowledge.  Know-it-alls, thread-hijackers,trolls, pains-in-the ar**?

How very rude to make such comments on a thread where you have lost a love one. 

I'm sure the money is not important to you right now. Take it easy.

how rude to denigrate thais in general because of the actions of one

I saw NOTHING to suggest that (other than his own lead in for you at the outset by referencing Thai bashing). It wasn't Thai bashing it was service bashing. If that failing is a result of 'Thai ways' so be it.

I agree 100% that western culture is far from superior but jumping on the Thai defence bandwagon was just gratuitous.

The Thais have much to learn, as we both agree, I have been encouraged by the ability of many to do so - whether it be by western influence or not.

In this case the service from a vet should be better as they better understand that a dog can be part of the family - not just part of the food chain.

I call this denigrating

Thai total disrespect for the dead?

I call this denigrating

I agree that the title is inappropriate - and doesn't reflect the true nature of the content of the OP.

I call this denigrating

I agree that the title is inappropriate - and doesn't reflect the true nature of the content of the OP.

thank you

Animals are thought of differently in different places.

A good example is Isaan.  In our village, the dogs are beaten, abused, fed only a few times a week (just sticky rice and bones).  They are supposed to be aggressive and territorial.  That's the only reason they are kept - to defend the home.

Everyone laughed at us taking our dogs to the vet, paying money tp help save their lives.  They just let them die.  We even saved someone elses dog's life by taking him to the vet. The said they thought he was poisoned.  The vet laughed in disbelief.  All the dog needed was food.  You should see the muscles on it now (Its a close Ridgeback mix, so you can imagine).

However, a different way of thinking is prevelant in BKK.  The people are tender, affectionate, and kind to pets and strays.  Bearing in mind, most people in BKK come from Isaan, but they are no longer farmers and therefor have a different view and relationship with animals.

It may catch on.

Despite evrything i have just said, i view the dogs in our village to be much more content and happy than dogs in the west.  In the west, they usually have little guidance.  They are treated like humans.  They develop emotional problems.  They need a strong pack leader, not to be treated as a friend/human/child/partner (to make the owner feel good).  It doesn't benefit them.  It harms them sometimes.

The OP is grieving.  Its understandable.  I am sure no disrespect was meant, but people are often inconsiderate.

In Scotland, my Grandad was in a hospice for his last week.  One day my aunt went to visit to find him laying in an obscene manner.  More or less naked, but a tiny towel hanging off him.  I expect the nurses had changed him after "he had to go to the bathroom", but just left him in the most degrading manner with th e door open.  He didn't even have the strenght to cover himself up.  For an old fashioned type of Catholic in his last days, i can't imagine how he felt.

I wouldn't hold it against them - it won't do you any good.

In Indonesia, back in the old days, they used to leave their dead hanging from the house to turn to skeletons (more or less forever).  For them, that's the way it should be.  But then the western missionaries came to convert and persuaded them to stop their own rituals and persue a different way, otherwise they wouldn't get the aid they needed.

Different cultures do things differently.  People here have different values, despite being rude and inconsiderate often, or what we percieve to be rude and inconsiderate.

Just get on with your greiving, don't do business with them again, and for the rest of your animal loved ones - do it youself like some other members have suggested.

And by the way, your dog doesn't mind - only you.  Let that console you ( i mean no words to harm you).

Edited by EmptyHead

My experience. they did exactly the same with my best friend ! no not a dog, a mate who died aged 62, they gave his remains in a plastic Tesc0 carrier bag ! I had pieces of spine and ribs etc.

Not a pleasant experience but, a few things to point out. It isnt a western culture, when a body dies the spirit moves on to another place, thats their belief and therefore its "just" bones, no sentiment attached, same with road accidents etc, if they are dead they arent there, it isnt a person etc its just a carcass.

Whilst I appreciate and understand from my first hand experience, the Thai people and Buddhists generally do not think or react to our values.

I have said before, your are playing chess, they play tiddlywinks, the point being, two totally seperate sets of rules and values, and outlook.

You dont have to agree, as I dont, but understand, there is no insult or harm intended.

Yes, Charlie, but if this is the "expansive" hospital I think it is, they deal with foreigners every day. And they take a lot of our money. They did mine, and they did the OP's.

They should know by now how much we cherish our faithful companions ...

you are talking out your hoop and do not have a clue about Thai people.  We lost our Husky 3 months ago to either a snake bite or poison. We found him dead in the garden after coming back from a shopping trip, our other dog a female Bang Kaew was next to him.

He was only 5 years old and my wife cried for days afterwards.  Two burly local boys come and dug a big hole in the garden and my missus placed his lead and dog bowl in the ground with him.  There will be never be a Moo Ping again - terrific dog.

I was given my dead English friends bones in a bin bag and his head in a pot..............sad.png

Pretty much what I've come to expect from the Poms in Pattaya, and they're still breathing. Just.  

You better expand on that cos I don't understand it..........blink.png

But, been to Pattaya once..........sad.png

I was given my dead English friends bones in a bin bag and his head in a pot..............sad.png

Pretty much what I've come to expect from the Poms in Pattaya, and they're still breathing. Just.  

trans,

he dosnt like us,,(poms)

trans,

he dosnt like us,,(poms)

Strange that many don't chum, fail to fathom out why, but, me, don't give a shit....laugh.png

knock off the bickering...

1/ in 2004 i was in thailand and a friend took me to see his brothers' and fathers' bones ... they were in a coffee tin in the wat; no money for fancy remains holders, he was waiting til he had some money then tamboon and put the bones in a better box, however, as far as he was concerned, them being at the wat was the most important thing, not the box.

as my hsuband likes to say: dead is dead.

which is, essentially the thai thing. bones are bones. it has nothing to do with respect. in addition, to most thais i suspect that a dog is a dog, even if it was loved much, its still a dog and not a baby. its the memory and not the physical remains that are important ...

two out of my many dogs are buried, (and mostly likely dug up by hyenas)... one was bagged at the vets,, other dead pets (large domestic animals) were bagged and dumped or dealt with by the vet after being taken apart and checked for various things.  all my main pets have framed photos at home (including my 2 fave beautiful goats that i had to put down)...

i understand your anger but truely believe it was jsut a misunderstood set of expectations. you paid for cremation, u received one. you EXPECTED to receive a box or container. why? what lead u to beleive there would be one? im still getting over the american idea of pet cemeteries and grief counslellors for pets.... some how i dont think that has arrived in thailand yet.

as for people, the respect thai people have for the dead is not for the body and bones. its for the person who has gone. the body is just a vessel that has been used (abused, even) and tossed away freeing up the person to continue on to other hopefully better things.

so perhaps you can make your own container, and place it where u want it, and then find out why u were charged so much (which seems to be part of the problem you have with the vet).

as far as price for treatment, ask for a list of things: meds, treatments, hours of work... and see how much it was supposed to be.

im also sure that just as the american 'pet as baby' has arrived here, it will arrive in thailand as well and then there will be a plethora of thai vets selling cremations and burials with all the 'western' trimmings/ 

anyway, sorry for your lose and hope u manage to make your own meaningful memorial for lyour pet

Bina, the Vet bill of 30 000 is not in question.

The reason for bringing it up is to show that i have spent some serious money with the business to expect to be treated little better than a plastic bag with bones.

I further paid for cremation services.

Even assuming that cremation services do not supply nice boxes, animal clinic could invest 300 baht for a nice box to present to customer who have just spend huge amount of money in a space of 24 hours.

Of course i can buy my own box and already have, that is not the point.

The point is that my much loved pet was given back to me in a plastic bag, like a piece of rubbish, EVEN after i have spent a fortune by an average Thai standards.

Possibly you had failed to read the OP,or may be to understand.

It is service offered by the Vets and they do charge for it.

Now, it would be only courteous and respectful to the owner and his animal to return bones in something little more appropriate than a plastic shopping bag.

Bones could also be wrapped in something little more appropriate than a used newspaper.

Again as discussed it is irrelevant how Thai's see relationship between a dog or a human nor how they see death.

This is  Vet, Animal hospital whose business is animals and owners, This is one if not the most expansive hospitals in Thailand.

Even assuming they do not see death same way as i do, it would simply be good business practice to return bones in something little more appropriate, after all they did charge for it and i did spend serious money with them.

Consider if you owned a Ferrari, took it for service but received back car where all parts were replaced with Toyota and it was not even hidden from you, yet you were charged for genuine Ferrari parts.

As i mentioned earlier, my housekeeper was in total shock seeing it.

Today i brought it with me to work and showed all my Thai staff to see their reaction.

All, of them without a fail were in shock and a number of them said "Na keliyd" meaning ugly.

After they learned what i paid, they said, they would call head office on Monday to complain, as this is "Na keliyd"

Am i grieving? sure i am, am i over reacting? i do not think so and judging by the reaction of my staff, they feel the same way and they are Thai

Edited by konying

Sorry mate.  I can identify.  Loss two pets here in the last couple of years.  One died after I had her neutered.  She died the day we got her back from the vet.  The vet didn't care.  I could read it on this face.  Farang = ฿฿฿ / Dead pet = mai bpen rai. 

Most Thais that I've met don't get attached to animals.  Not much in the way of compassion.  Animal in the road that isn't yours -- why brake? 

Sorry mate.  I can identify.  Loss two pets here in the last couple of years.  One died after I had her neutered.  She died the day we got her back from the vet.  The vet didn't care.  I could read it on this face.  Farang = ฿฿฿ / Dead pet = mai bpen rai. 

Most Thais that I've met don't get attached to animals.  Not much in the way of compassion.  Animal in the road that isn't yours -- why brake? 

I had a kitten die in another Vets care after spending 3 weeks with them and them claiming he was getting better.

He died of severe infection, because the retard working night shifts, who calls her self a Vet, did not bother to check, even though it was her job.

I had a meeting with the owner of the hospital and ripped him apart, made him refund all the money spent, plus not pay a single baht.

I agree he could not care less, but did change his attitude after suffering financial loss of having to refund, plus loss of 5 dogs as clients.

My housekeeper, loves animals, dogs and cats. She cried for days after one of her kittens was run over by a car. She picks up a number of strays and gives them food and home. I believe now she has 4 dogs and 6 cats.

Naturally i help her and buy food and pay some medical bills.

So i do not think all Thai's are the same, many do love animals and do look after them within their limits.

• Like 1

I know many Thais that get very attached to their dogs,my wife included.