Drivers licence for a motorbike for a tourist

Crypt36

I rented myself a motorbike, it goes about 90km/hour, a Honda Airblade.

I was told I needed a drivers license for it?!

I understand an international drivers license (which I don't have) is only valid for 60 days? A thai drivers license only for residents?

So is it possible for a tourist to drive a motorbike legally all year long? You all understand I'm doing the visa run thing.

The international packet is A a permit not A license.If you don't have A motorcycle indorsement on your drivers license you can 't

Get it on the international permit.So Supposely you can't operate A motorcycle .You need to get A thai motorcycle license.

Supposely some places you can get it without A valid visa.My understanding is some places you cannot.

If you don't have a lot of experience on A motorcycle there's A good chance you'll get hurt

• Like 1

The international packet is A a permit not A license.If you don't have A motorcycle indorsement on your drivers license you can 't

Get it on the international permit.So Supposely you can't operate A motorcycle .You need to get A thai motorcycle license.

Supposely some places you can get it without A valid visa.My understanding is some places you cannot.

If you don't have a lot of experience on A motorcycle there's A good chance you'll get hurt

Good on you buddy sometimes I cannot believe some of the posts that are put here when there is a search facility.

• Like 2

OP in case it was not clear from the previous posts you need to go and apply for a Thai motor bike licence at your local DLT centre.

Said process is covered to great detail in a multitude of threads some of which are pinned at the top of certain forums.........

Sorry I cannot be bothered to find and post the links as my connection is playing up wink.png

I rented myself a motorbike, it goes about 90km/hour, a Honda Airblade.

I was told I needed a drivers license for it?!

This is a rhetorical question, right? And why the added info about the model and speed? Motorbikes with different names/brands/top speeds still all require a rider with a valid licence.

So is it possible for a tourist to drive a motorbike legally all year long?

Yes, if you have a valid drivers licence, with the appropriate class/endorsement for riding a motorcycle.

Edited by Archie Pelago

I think what a lot of people don't understand is that when you come to Thailand on holiday, long or short term, because you are on holiday in the sunshine you can rent a motorbike but, 'you're not riding it seriously' like you would at home.whistling.gif

So, why would you need a licence ? it's only 'fun riding' so you're never going to fall off, or if you do it will be 'a laugh' and you won't get seriously hurt because it's fun and you're on holiday.

Getting yourself killed or killing someone else is totally impossible because you're on holiday and it's fun riding.

It can be even more fun to rent a 'super-bike' that is capable of doing 160MPH because that is even more fun.w00t.gif

If you have never been on a bike before you came here and never had any training stay away from them (bikes) they will seriously bite your a-se.

• Like 1

First of all.. i did read the other posts so apologies for anything repeated.

International Permit

This is only a Permit for whatever license you have at you home country and not a license itself. I have had these in the past and it would be worth to note that even those there is a long list of countries who accept these, a number of those countries don't actually accept the Permit. From my own experiences I can assure this is correct. Also, recently I did hear a rumour (yes.. It was only by word of mouth) that Thailand no longer accepts these Permits.

Normal License

Many countries will accept just your license from you home country with the International Permit for the first 3 mths from your time of arrival.. I was pretty sure Thailand used to be one of these but also does not allow/accept this method anymore.

My advice, if you are here for a year is to get a Thai license. If you don't have a motorcycle at home, then find one of the numerous tour agents that can assist you with the process of passing the tests at the Land & Transport Office and make sure your legal as someone noted, having an accodent unlicensed can put your in a very unhappy situation. Licenses are cheap and an agent to assist you will only cost a few thousand baht. Also, if you arent familiar with motorcycle, don't be a clown! Mopeds are not known for their braking or steering agility so topping its max speed is not a good start.. Especially if you have a tire blow (yes have seen this happen to a tourist).. Keep in mind that little pocket rockets maintenance will not be what you be expecting from home!

Enjoy Safe Riding!

From personal experience, although a few years ago, an international permit is valid for 90 days from date of arrival. If you have a motocycle licence from your home country and the international permit it may be possible to aquire a Thai licence. You would need a doctors note from any local clinic or hospital, a confirmation of your Thai address from immigration, but I very much doubt you would be granted the licence on a tourist visa. If I'm wrong here, I feel sure someone will correct me.

Did some research on this (bike lic on Tourist visa) last year and the sticking point seems to be the requirement for a (permanent) Thai address. Got some way down the track at Koh Lanta before being told not to bother as "if you have accident come and see me and I'll give you a paper to say you have a Thai licence" by one of the Senior Police there (obviously at some cost).

ok, did this last year, on a tourist visa.. need a statement from condo saying you are renting from them.. go to doctor get a certificate that says you are healthy enough to drive. make copies of your passport and get two photos of yourself and go to immigration with paperwork and ask for a drivers license visa.. take all this to your dlc testing place (wear a tshirt with sleeves). go at 9 am.. give to lady at desk and you will be tested for reaction times and color test.. then you will be shown a 2 -3 hour film about driving in thailand.. then you will take the computer test on what you just learned by watching the films.. you can retake this test as often as you need to so you can come back if you fail it.. next day you must come back at 9am again to take driving test..most experienced drivers will pass this, then you will go back and have a photo of yourself pay the 150 baht for license.

this is what i did. now if someone else has a different experience that is not my fault.. this is what i did on oct of 2013.

• Like 1

Oh, this old chestnut again......... When i first drove in Thailand (Car) i used to get stopped quite a lot, obviously i was equipped with my licences, British, Bahraini, International, and strangely enough, none of these seemed to be of interest to the examining officer....... I later learned that 200 baht under his outstretched pad did the trick........ I've subsequently tried to obtain Thai driving licences for both car and motorbike, and i must say, there's the Thai way, which turns into something like getting accredited for supersonic X15 test flying, and then there's the other Thai way, which means bunging the urchins outside the licencing office to sort it all out....... Oh how bloody obvious ! Seing as though everything else in Thailand can be obtained in much the same manner, including the country if you've got enough contacts under the table........ I wonder where Thai airlines get their licences from ? Probably Khao san .........

Edited by SupermarineS6B

International Permit

This is only a Permit for whatever license you have at you home country and not a license itself. I have had these in the past and it would be worth to note that even those there is a long list of countries who accept these, a number of those countries don't actually accept the Permit. From my own experiences I can assure this is correct. Also, recently I did hear a rumour (yes.. It was only by word of mouth) that Thailand no longer accepts these Permits.

Normal License

Many countries will accept just your license from you home country with the International Permit for the first 3 mths from your time of arrival.. I was pretty sure Thailand used to be one of these but also does not allow/accept this method anymore.

My advice, if you are here for a year is to get a Thai license. If you don't have a motorcycle at home, then find one of the numerous tour agents that can assist you with the process of passing the tests at the Land & Transport Office and make sure your legal as someone noted, having an accodent unlicensed can put your in a very unhappy situation. Licenses are cheap and an agent to assist you will only cost a few thousand baht. Also, if you arent familiar with motorcycle, don't be a clown! Mopeds are not known for their braking or steering agility so topping its max speed is not a good start.. Especially if you have a tire blow (yes have seen this happen to a tourist).. Keep in mind that little pocket rockets maintenance will not be what you be expecting from home!

Enjoy Safe Riding!

I can assure you that an IDP is required in Thailand. I was stopped twice riding a scooter by the traffic boys earlier this year and fined THB400 for not having one each time. When you have one it is valid for 12 months. I am from UK.

ok, did this last year, on a tourist visa.. need a statement from condo saying you are renting from them.. go to doctor get a certificate that says you are healthy enough to drive. make copies of your passport and get two photos of yourself and go to immigration with paperwork and ask for a drivers license visa.. take all this to your dlc testing place (wear a tshirt with sleeves). go at 9 am.. give to lady at desk and you will be tested for reaction times and color test.. then you will be shown a 2 -3 hour film about driving in thailand.. then you will take the computer test on what you just learned by watching the films.. you can retake this test as often as you need to so you can come back if you fail it.. next day you must come back at 9am again to take driving test..most experienced drivers will pass this, then you will go back and have a photo of yourself pay the 150 baht for license.

this is what i did. now if someone else has a different experience that is not my fault.. this is what i did on oct of 2013.

This was for a motorcycle license or DL with a motorcycle endorsement??

International Permit

Normal License

Enjoy Safe Riding!

I can assure you that an IDP is required in Thailand. I was stopped twice riding a scooter by the traffic boys earlier this year and fined THB400 for not having one each time. When you have one it is valid for 12 months. I am from UK.

I can assure that an IDP is not required in Thailand. I went through 4 checkpoints in Phuket in the last 30 days and my home country DL was all they wanted but specifically asked me to show them the motorycle endorsement which I have.

I think the IDK is a scam. Most countries accept the drivers license of other countries. Especially European countries and their descendants. I got the IDK, ended up staying beyond it's expiration and was able to use my California drivers license until it expired a couple of years after I moved here.

Replies to a few of the replies...

I agree the IDP is a joke on its own as depending on the officer is whether he will accept it or not.. I know there are 'Real Rules' but they are seldomly followed beyond the point of a helmet and staying to the left. I have sometimes shown my Aussie license, Tanzanian license and the only time I got a strange look was showing my Indonesian license (i suspect this was because it was only license not in english).. And for those wondering, a few times after returning back from work I had forgotten to put my Thai cards back in my wallet.

For the 'which visa you need' topic, I did my first car/motorcycle license on a tourist exempt visa, then have renewed that 6 times without any hassle. The only issue I had once was with a transfer of registration of a motorcycle using an agent which the agent could not complete the process over almost 2 yrs and after asking for all the paperwork to be return I was able to do it myself at the Land/Transport department in 40minutes including the time to ride from Thonglor. As it was mentioned, dress respectably, be humble and polite along with having the correct documents and you will get what you need.. No tea money paid!

As for the Certificates of Residence, a Stat Dec from your embassy is sufficient.

And if you speak enough (correct thai) give it a go as most people I have dealt with at the LTD appreciate it along with a smile.

As a tourist you can use your home driving license (assuming it has the motorbike category). UK licenses are valid for 6 months then you need to get a Thai license which (if you are a UK license holder) is a formalilty albeit a long day and best done with a Thai speaker to help you.

International Permit

Normal License

Enjoy Safe Riding!

I can assure that an IDP is not required in Thailand. I went through 4 checkpoints in Phuket in the last 30 days and my home country DL was all they wanted but specifically asked me to show them the motorycle endorsement which I have.

Maybe it's just a Hua Hin thing. I was stopped first time going into Market Village (Tesco) and then a couple of days later coming out of the same place. I had helmet on as did my passenger. They only asked for licence which I gave them, they (he) then asked for International Driving Permit which I didn't have so got banged for 400baht each time..........got receipts for it as well.

International Permit

Normal License

Enjoy Safe Riding!

Maybe it's just a Hua Hin thing. I was stopped first time going into Market Village (Tesco) and then a couple of days later coming out of the same place. I had helmet on as did my passenger. They only asked for licence which I gave them, they (he) then asked for International Driving Permit which I didn't have so got banged for 400baht each time..........got receipts for it as well.

UK credit card type licence with your photo on does not need a IDP it's just a con by some of the police.

Many threads on this subject and much confusion, and everyone knows the answers.

Here's a start, reasonably good info. http://bangkok.angloinfo.com/information/transport/driving-licences/

• Like 1

If u have international motobike licence ur allow to use in Thailand

On tourists visa u can have Thai licence l did it last year in Pattaya . There is office for learn driving near tukcom in Pattaya . Very small office when u stand up front coffee shop S&P in tukcom u walk at ur left abt 100 metre .

I paid abt 3500 b he clear for me everything take me to office exams near big p farmer or something like that . If u have already international licence they will only change to Thai licence if u not u have to pass exame as l did for bike .licence valid 1 year