Freelance Journalism Opportunities In Bangkok?

Hello,

I'm planning to live in BKK for at least a few months beginning this fall. I'll continue to write for my US outlets (National Geographic, inflights, a syndicated column) but things always change and if all my editors disappeared one day I'd like to be able to eat and pay the rent. What sort of freelance opportunities exist for a journalist in Bangkok? I'm not above proofreading and/or copyediting, although my beat is mostly food, travel and culture. Thanks.

There are opportunities -- limited, but they are there -- however, they pay far less than you would probably believe. Local newspapers and magazines pay very little for freelance pieces. As a guide expect no more than B8-10,000 for a major piece (USD200-250) and B1-2,000 for a column length piece (USD25-50).

The standard of editorial work locally is very, very poor. If you can make yourself known, you would probably find a reasonable amount of work as a freelance editor and copyreader. Again, however, the pay would be quite low by any standards you are accustomed to.

Thanks, OAH. Believe it or not, there are American magazines who try to pay those rates. And they can usually find some sucker who'll do the job. As is the case with almost everything, one gets what one pays for.

I'm thinking of local pubs purely for supplementary income and as a reprint market for pieces I've already published in the States. Am hoping to keep my expenses very low, about a thousand a month or so not including travel (which my pubs pay for). Don't know if this is reasonable or not ... I suppose I'll see when I get there!

Cheers,

Cyn

What sort of freelance opportunities exist for a journalist in Bangkok? I'm not above proofreading and/or copyediting, although my beat is mostly food, travel and culture. Thanks.

try this

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/

http://www.bangkokpost.net/

goodluck

try the FCCT website. It has some short-term gigs psoted once in a while and there was a call recently from a new travel book starting up. make enquiries or check a few of the previous Bulletins. As always in BKK the pay is crap and like in other cities there are the rich kids competing for journo jobs who don't need the money and do it for the "prestige" of it all, which just makes it that much tougher to earn a living..anyway.. here is the FCCT link - good luck:

http://www.fccthai.com/

Don't forget the legal aspects of working in Thailand - especially as a foreign correspondent - see www.prd.go.th (look for the link to the English index if it doesn't automatically open in English)

To work as a FREELANCE, one thing to remember is that you need to buy a work permit for every publication that publishes anything you write while in Thailand (officially anyway) and that you must have a minimum of three different PUBLISHERS (not publications) give you letters of appointment with reasons why they want you to work in Thailand

The PRD will then task the relevant Thai embassy trade department to scrutinise the publishers before approving your application - you CANNOT get a press card, press visa, or workpermit, without the PRD's letters of authority. You have to go through the same process (new original letters of appointment) to renew / extend your documents - maximum issue is 12 months, so it's at least an annual affair

...... and the boss-woman in the One Stop Visa & Workpermit Office in Bangkok (workpermit section) despises foreign correspondents, so try to live outside the capitol - it's a lot easier in the provinces.

Gaz

Thanks, Gaz. I think I'll come in on a tourist visa and scope the opportunities before committing to anything ... I'm going to be in Manhattan for the month of January anyway, so the first 3 months should give me a chance to get my bearings. I appreciate the information.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

I'm planning to live in BKK for at least a few months beginning this fall. I'll continue to write for my US outlets (National Geographic, inflights, a syndicated column) but things always change and if all my editors disappeared one day I'd like to be able to eat and pay the rent. What sort of freelance opportunities exist for a journalist in Bangkok? I'm not above proofreading and/or copyediting, although my beat is mostly food, travel and culture. Thanks.

Hi,

I am hiring an expat for this sort of work. please give me a call for complete details at 09-671-1199.

thanks.