The Beach Rd walkway- we told you so.

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the OP could be more wrong. The walkway is a vast improvement, with ample seating from the north end to Central Festival and presumably more seats will be added to the final stretch in time. There are plenty of palm trees and once they are fully grown there will be plenty of shade. Like most things here it's not perfect, but the sceptics have been proved wrong and the OP, I'm sure, is in the minority.

dont count on the extra seats, its finished and will be left as it is until they rebuild it in 5 or 10 years time when it fallen apart due to lack of maintenance

• Like 1

I don't think the OP could be more wrong. The walkway is a vast improvement, with ample seating from the north end to Central Festival and presumably more seats will be added to the final stretch in time. There are plenty of palm trees and once they are fully grown there will be plenty of shade. Like most things here it's not perfect, but the sceptics have been proved wrong and the OP, I'm sure, is in the minority.

dont count on the extra seats, its finished and will be left as it is until they rebuild it in 5 or 10 years time when it fallen apart due to lack of maintenance

Who needs any seats?

Happy Walking Viewers!

. . . i regularly take a stroll from naklua to Pattaya Tai ( i like being nosey ....) To be honest i find it much easier to walk on the beach in the sun and then stop for a swim at random moments throughout the afternoon. The Thais don't seem to understand the concept of " going for a walk " they seem to look at me in " absolute amazement " ( i take it as a compliment ) and then blast me as a " farang kineow " .......... 555

Way to go! smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

The new beach walkway is a big improvement, but as the saying goes " you can't please all of the people all of the time" although the majority seem to agree that apart from a few minor glitches it is good.

BUT, are the majority people that only looked at it as they drive by in their AC cars, or is it people that actually used it before? If the former, their opinion is meaningless as for actually using it. I used to walk on it in the day time, but if it's sunny it's too hot now, and the seats are too hot to sit on.

It used to be full of people sitting opposite Mike's during the day, but they are all gone now. So who's it all for?

It's for everyone except you, but it gets most use during high season. This is the low season. The promenade doesn't have to be full of people sitting around at all times (one of those classic TV fallacies) to be good and useful. This past high season it was certainly full of strollers and many people sitting, one way or the other--contrary to your predictions but not mine. A lot of ladies who used to sit on the benches now sit or stand under the palm trees. No problem!

I showed you a pic above taken on a sunny day. Enough shade from the palm trees shown there. Now, if you're so exceptionally delicate, you can just bring along an umbrella. smile.png

And if you read through the responses above, you find promenade walkers who do like walking on it better now than before.

And you're obviously totally unfamiliar w/ Pattaya traffic as you think everyone drives cars. Duh. Most people ride motorbikes. And there have always been FAR more motorcyclists (and cars) driving down Beach Rd. than walkers and sitters on the promenade. You've never answered the question why it's less important that motorcyclists should sweat in hot traffic jams, and automobile drivers have to sit running their AC, both wasting time and burning up fossil fuels (GLOBAL WARMING!) than your sitting in the shade in your favorite spot under your favorite tree watching the suffering.

Do the riders & drivers notice that now they don't have to sit in the hot sun in traffic jams now nearly so often? YES. This is MUCH BETTER in that regard and most welcome. Deal with it.

Don't like the promenade, don't walk on it. Too bad for you. We can't help you. I gave you the address of the Banglamung Complaint Center already. No matter how many times you repeat your same ol' complaints--which started the moment the new promenade broke ground--most people are still going to like things better--overall--now than they were before. I forgot--have you found anyone to mostly agree with you? (Some of our most distinguished, hoary ol' doomsayers haven't yet appeared, however.)

Are we done yet? Need to repeat the same thing again? Next: there used to be sitters sitting diagonally across from Mike's Shopping Mall. smile.png We gotta go through every 20 meters of the promenade now? Seems to me we have a case of BROKEN RECORD SYNDROME here.

<And you're obviously totally unfamiliar w/ Pattaya traffic >

Just a wild guess, but I've probably been going to Pattaya many, many years more than you.

As for Beach Rd, the traffic is just as bad as always due to the bottleneck.

The new beach walkway is a big improvement, but as the saying goes " you can't please all of the people all of the time" although the majority seem to agree that apart from a few minor glitches it is good.

BUT, are the majority people that only looked at it as they drive by in their AC cars, or is it people that actually used it before? If the former, their opinion is meaningless as for actually using it. I used to walk on it in the day time, but if it's sunny it's too hot now, and the seats are too hot to sit on.

It used to be full of people sitting opposite Mike's during the day, but they are all gone now. So who's it all for?

Well yesterday the WALK around the mikes/royal garden area of the new walkway was positively dark with the shade provided, try it. The people there seemed to by quite happy with it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That is about the only area still with old trees. Have you been to the north end- NO SHADE.

<ample seating from the north end to Central Festival >

Not so. Most of the seating is at the north end, where fewer people go. Even there, they aren't in the shade, so no one can sit on them- too hot.

<presumably more seats will be added to the final stretch >

555555555555555555 Dream on.

<once they are fully grown there will be plenty of shade>

Rubbish. That sort of Palm tree doesn't get big branches like the old ones.

Don't count on 5 to 10 years. It's not even one year and already falling apart at the north end. I expect the pavers to start disappearing soon- the ones around the trees are already going.

• Like 1

Who needs any seats?

Happy Walking Viewers!

. . . i regularly take a stroll from naklua to Pattaya Tai ( i like being nosey ....) To be honest i find it much easier to walk on the beach in the sun and then stop for a swim at random moments throughout the afternoon. The Thais don't seem to understand the concept of " going for a walk " they seem to look at me in " absolute amazement " ( i take it as a compliment ) and then blast me as a " farang kineow " .......... 555

Way to go! smile.png

It's now obvious that you never want to sit on the walkway and watch the world go by.

No doubt you are one wanting to make Pattaya just like Hua Hin- revolting place. However, if you don't like Pattaya as it is, why move there and try to change it. I just don't get that attitude.

It's for everyone except you, but it gets most use during high season. This is the low season. The promenade doesn't have to be full of people sitting around at all times (one of those classic TV fallacies) to be good and useful. This past high season it was certainly full of strollers and many people sitting, one way or the other--contrary to your predictions but not mine. A lot of ladies who used to sit on the benches now sit or stand under the palm trees. No problem!

I showed you a pic above taken on a sunny day. Enough shade from the palm trees shown there. Now, if you're so exceptionally delicate, you can just bring along an umbrella. smile.png

And if you read through the responses above, you find promenade walkers who do like walking on it better now than before.

And you're obviously totally unfamiliar w/ Pattaya traffic as you think everyone drives cars. Duh. Most people ride motorbikes. And there have always been FAR more motorcyclists (and cars) driving down Beach Rd. than walkers and sitters on the promenade. You've never answered the question why it's less important that motorcyclists should sweat in hot traffic jams, and automobile drivers have to sit running their AC, both wasting time and burning up fossil fuels (GLOBAL WARMING!) than your sitting in the shade in your favorite spot under your favorite tree watching the suffering.

Do the riders & drivers notice that now they don't have to sit in the hot sun in traffic jams now nearly so often? YES. This is MUCH BETTER in that regard and most welcome. Deal with it.

Don't like the promenade, don't walk on it. Too bad for you. We can't help you. I gave you the address of the Banglamung Complaint Center already. No matter how many times you repeat your same ol' complaints--which started the moment the new promenade broke ground--most people are still going to like things better--overall--now than they were before. I forgot--have you found anyone to mostly agree with you? (Some of our most distinguished, hoary ol' doomsayers haven't yet appeared, however.)

Are we done yet? Need to repeat the same thing again? Next: there used to be sitters sitting diagonally across from Mike's Shopping Mall. smile.png We gotta go through every 20 meters of the promenade now? Seems to me we have a case of BROKEN RECORD SYNDROME here.

Just a wild guess, but I've probably been going to Pattaya many, many years more than you.

Nope. The bottleneck slows traffic near Walking St. but not usually inconveniently except at night when the WS bars are open. Before, the traffic was bad all the way into N. Pattaya Rd., where it was backing up. Now it's usually pretty clear all the way owing to the extra lane--as it logically MUST be and in fact is.

Your repeating this nonsense again and again won't make it true, sorry.

Going to Pattaya ain't the same as living and driving in Pattaya, which I do and you don't. That traffic was better in 1978 is just totally irrelevant. Better stick to counting benches & palm trees. :)

• Like 1

Nope. The bottleneck slows traffic near Walking St. but not usually inconveniently except at night when the WS bars are open. Before, the traffic was bad all the way into N. Pattaya Rd., where it was backing up. Now it's usually pretty clear all the way owing to the extra lane--as it logically MUST be and in fact is.

Your repeating this nonsense again and again won't make it true, sorry.

Going to Pattaya ain't the same as living and driving in Pattaya, which I do and you don't. That traffic was better in 1978 is just totally irrelevant. Better stick to counting benches & palm trees. smile.png

<which I do and you don't>

but I used to live in Pattaya, so don't try the old "I live here so I know better than you" trick. I also used to walk and sit along the walkway a lot, whereas you apparently don't ever sit on it. Tell us- do you go for walks along it now during the day? That would surely be of much significance. I did.

Post deleted to allow posting.

It's now obvious that you never want to sit on the walkway and watch the world go by.

Suffice it to say, as many have (but we can't too explicit), most of the bench sitters weren't there just to watch the world go by. wink.png

But such is still possible, after all.

No doubt you are one wanting to make Pattaya just like Hua Hin- revolting place. However, if you don't like Pattaya as it is, why move there and try to change it. I just don't get that attitude.

I ain't the one complaining about Pattaya, pal, seemingly your main occupation whenever you come to town. Nor do I care a thing about Hua Wherever. But I can't say much positive about the city lest I'm accused being that most despicable of our forum villains: none other than a REAL ESTATE AGENT. :)

Edited by JSixpack

Suffice it to say, as many have (but we can't too explicit), most of the bench sitters weren't there just to watch the world go by. wink.png

But such is still possible, after all.

I ain't the one complaining about Pattaya, pal, seemingly your main occupation whenever you come to town. Nor do I care a thing about Hua Wherever. But I can't say much positive about the city lest I'm accused being that most despicable of our forum villains: none other than a REAL ESTATE AGENT. smile.png

< most of the bench sitters weren't there just to watch the world go by.>

C'mon, how would someone that obviously doesn't actually sit on the walkway know why they are there? Do you talk to them?

<I ain't the one complaining about Pattaya, pal, seemingly your main occupation whenever you come to town.>

I'm not complaining about Pattaya in general- I love the place. Why would I have lived there if I didn't?

No, I complain about specific things in Pattaya, just as I complain about specific things anywhere. It's not as though you think Pattaya is 100% perfect is it?

Where would be a good place for a "REAL ESTATE AGENT"? Bottom of the ocean.

< most of the bench sitters weren't there just to watch the world go by.>

C'mon, how would someone that obviously doesn't actually sit on the walkway know why they are there? Do you talk to them?

Common knowledge. There's a reason it's called Coconut Bar. Besides, one can sit at a bar, resto, or coffee shop across the street and watch what goes on. It's hardly necessary to sit on the promenade yourself. But in fact I of course have. It was never a critically important thing to do, however.

Note that you didn't deny my point. smile.png I know it, you know it, everybody who knows anything about the promenade knows it.

Most people living in PTY travel down Beach Rd. by vehicle far more often than they walk on the promenade. That's a big reason you're not getting any support here (besides that some of your points are nonsense, others trivial). Most of us like the result overall if not in every little detail. smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

the seats are missed, now we cant sit and watch the pickpocketers working any more

In all my years going to pattaya I have NEVER had anyone try pick my pockets, not there not anywhere. I have never heard of that either. So I call bullshit! Go back to the PI if you want to watch that.

This is a bit like people claiming it's safe to ride motorcycles in Pattaya because they haven't had an accident yet.

Just because you haven't been pickpocketed yet doesn't mean they're not around. Better be safe than sorry. The way you're talking here people will get the impression it's perfectly safe to walk around without any concern whatsoever. That's just giving people the wrong impression.

It's far better to always put your wallet and valuables in a safe place. You don't need to go to PI to lose your wallet.

When you get pickpocketed for the first time, be sure to come back and report it here, because with your attitude it could happen sooner than later.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

Overall I reckon the changes are a positive.

It is easier to walk along the beach as there is more room now.

There is less seating but I only really walk along the beachfront and don't miss the huge amount of riff raff that used to congregate wherever there was a place to sit so I vote this as a positive as well.

If I want to sit for awhile I sit on the beach in a vendors chair and kick back with a cold coconut and the newspaper.

The traffic generally flows better especially around Central which was becoming a bit of a problem.

The only real downside I see is the trees that have been cut down that is a shame.

As for no pickpockets in Pattaya that really is a laugh. I had to help a Russian guy who had just arrived in Pattaya and had all his valuables taken including his passport. And it was by ladyboys in a spot that they regularly frequent. Very distressing for the young guy.

• Like 1

Don't count on 5 to 10 years. It's not even one year and already falling apart at the north end. I expect the pavers to start disappearing soon- the ones around the trees are already going.

will be interesting when the rain hits but doesnt seem to be happening this year so far

will be interesting when the rain hits but doesnt seem to be happening this year so far

And after the rainy season the strong North to South long shore current is going to finish the job on that segment in front of Holiday Inn at North end.

In addition to the normal quantity of sand that goes South for the winter. Those giant decaying sandbags will cause (again) current slowing, sand deposited ,

then as current picks up velocity its capacity to transport sand increases. And that new walkway is just a glorified road. Ill be glad to see it wiped out.

Edited by morrobay
  • Like 1

And after the rainy season the strong North to South long shore current is going to finish the job on that segment in front of Holiday Inn at North end.

In addition to the normal quantity of sand that goes South for the winter. Those giant decaying sandbags will cause (again) current slowing, sand deposited ,

then as current picks up velocity its capacity to transport sand increases. And that new walkway is just a glorified road. Ill be glad to see it wiped out.

What a fine apocalyptic prophecy, worthy of the highest TV standards! I can hear a chorus of applause from the gallery.

Doomsaying here has such an extraordinarily poor record of actually coming true, however. In fact, it always seems to backfire. smile.png But, of course, never admitting defeat, the prophets themselves continue to wait . . . and wait. Yet the very utterance itself is so cathartic, giving great solace & comfort amid the stress of daily life in Thailand. Here ya go:

Alert! Pattaya's Long-Predicted Future Imminent!

Meanwhile, life goes on! Cheers!

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

What a fine apocalyptic prophecy, worthy of the highest TV standards! I can hear a chorus of applause from the gallery.

Doomsaying here has such an extraordinarily poor record of actually coming true, however. In fact, it always seems to backfire. smile.png But, of course, never admitting defeat, the prophets themselves continue to wait . . . and wait. Yet the very utterance itself is so cathartic, giving great solace & comfort amid the stress of daily life in Thailand. Here ya go:

LOL. Of particular note are the doomsayers waiting for the imminent collapse of Central Festival shopping mall.

Somebody needs to examine the psychological concept of "projection." Having said that, the project is neither a total failure nor or total success.

• Like 1

Somebody needs to examine the psychological concept of "projection." Having said that, the project is neither a total failure nor or total success.

The project was a success because it did what the council wanted. The fact that it does not serve the public well does not come into it.

However, it will be a failure when it disintigrates everywhere, as it will. Already collapsed at the north end, and not even a year.

I think the average is almost 3 deaths a day in Pattaya only, with almost 30.000 deaths a year in Thailand.

You thought wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_Thailand_by_year

Deaths per 100,000 is about the same as the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year

When you take into account a far higher percentage drive motorcycles in Thailand and considering how much more chaotic the traffic can be with much poorer infrastructure be that should tell you something.

So not only do you want to defend the scum on beach road, now you want to defend 30,000 deaths a year. Your previous post said "MOST" of the accidents was farangs, so are most of the 30,000 deaths farangs ? You Thai apologists just dont know when to stop

• Like 2

I think the average is almost 3 deaths a day in Pattaya only, with almost 30.000 deaths a year in Thailand.

You thought wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_Thailand_by_year

Deaths per 100,000 is about the same as the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year

When you take into account a far higher percentage drive motorcycles in Thailand and considering how much more chaotic the traffic can be with much poorer infrastructure be that should tell you something.

So not only do you want to defend the scum on beach road, now you want to defend 30,000 deaths a year. Your previous post said "MOST" of the accidents was farangs, so are most of the 30,000 deaths farangs ? You Thai apologists just dont know when to stop

<the scum on beach road>

Do you consider yourself to be "better" than other people?

<the scum on beach road>

Do you consider yourself to be "better" than other people?

Just the scum, right? Surely they're not ALL scum. I see Chinese walking there. wink.png

LOL. Of particular note are the doomsayers waiting for the imminent collapse of Central Festival shopping mall.

Says the doomsayer who said I'll be sorry when I do get my pockets picked....

Been going for 10 years and living there on and off....buuuuut....aaaaaany day now boy oh boy you just wait says doomsayer tropo. whistling.gif

Edited by lapd

Overall I reckon the changes are a positive.

It is easier to walk along the beach as there is more room now.

There is less seating but I only really walk along the beachfront and don't miss the huge amount of riff raff that used to congregate wherever there was a place to sit so I vote this as a positive as well.

If I want to sit for awhile I sit on the beach in a vendors chair and kick back with a cold coconut and the newspaper.

The traffic generally flows better especially around Central which was becoming a bit of a problem.

The only real downside I see is the trees that have been cut down that is a shame.

As for no pickpockets in Pattaya that really is a laugh. I had to help a Russian guy who had just arrived in Pattaya and had all his valuables taken including his passport. And it was by ladyboys in a spot that they regularly frequent. Very distressing for the young guy.

Boy you guys must be really something walking around Pattaya getting your pockets picked all the time blink.png . No offense but some guys just have a sign on their forehead.

Edited by lapd