Why do Thais keep cows?

Costas2008

have you noticed that nearly every weekend Costas starts a milking thread? Dr Will has obviously not helped him much

Have you noticed that nearly every weekend Costas starts a milking a thread?

It's a sexual thing. It's got nothing to do with the actual milk ;)

• Like 1

See, that's how i see cows. Not wallowing in mud with their ribs showing.

I shall find some fotos of when they come down from the pastures in the Autumn, they wear flowers on their heads. And heavy cow bells which make lots of noise, The one with the most flowers is the one who gave the most milk during the summer months - she is called the Queen of the Pastures. And is usually sold off for lozza money.

Just a bit of culture from my side of the planet to interest those that read what i babble about...

Edited by Patsycat
  • Like 1

Costas,

An Australian farmer would shoot those skinny things.......It always amazes me how thin Thai cattle get.

My goodness.

Exactly my thoughts.

But he says, don't know if I should believe him or not, he can get about 500K to 600K for each one of them.

Any experts on cows, out there?

Tell him he's dreamin!

• Like 1

I shall find some fotos of when they come down from the pastures in the Autumn, they wear flowers on their heads. And heavy cow bells which make lots of noise, The one with the most flowers is the one who gave the most milk during the summer months - she is called the Queen of the Pastures. And is usually sold off for lozza money.

Just a bit of culture from my side of the planet to interest those that read what i babble about...

Thanks for sharing Patsy, you are a wealth of information.

Now please shut up and send me some more naughty pix via PM. :P

I never saw cows in Isaan until after Thaksin began to give B1,000,000 to villages. Some people began to push them as a good investment (happened with Emu in the USA years ago). My wife's parents wanted to get on the bandwagon and I argued against it as the prices were soaring. I believed that other than a breeding bull, the value was what the meat was worth to a butcher.

They didn't listen and with a neighbor, bought 3 Brahman cows. In the beginning, everyone was buying and those selling were getting rich. After a few years the buying cooled off and the prices tanked. Isaan farmers will hold an investment till they die if there is any chance of losing face, so most kept the overpriced cows and hoped the offspring would eventually wipe out their losses.

They found that they had to take them to the rice fields every day and watch them as there are no fences, and even if there were, theft would be great. They became tied to these silly cows for years and years, but eventually got rid of them. Small $ made and tons and tons of effort.

For we Americans, it is very difficult to find good beef. All I've ever eaten in Bangkok that was good was called Thai-French, whatever that is.

• Like 1

I never saw cows in Isaan until after Thaksin began to give B1,000,000 to villages. Some people began to push them as a good investment (happened with Emu in the USA years ago). My wife's parents wanted to get on the bandwagon and I argued against it as the prices were soaring. I believed that other than a breeding bull, the value was what the meat was worth to a butcher.

They didn't listen and with a neighbor, bought 3 Brahman cows. In the beginning, everyone was buying and those selling were getting rich. After a few years the buying cooled off and the prices tanked. Isaan farmers will hold an investment till they die if there is any chance of losing face, so most kept the overpriced cows and hoped the offspring would eventually wipe out their losses.

They found that they had to take them to the rice fields every day and watch them as there are no fences, and even if there were, theft would be great. They became tied to these silly cows for years and years, but eventually got rid of them. Small $ made and tons and tons of effort.

For we Americans, it is very difficult to find good beef. All I've ever eaten in Bangkok that was good was called Thai-French, whatever that is.

post-111888-0-31352200-1408240756_thumb.

attachicon.gifzweisimmen-meadow-berg-cows.jpg

That's how cows should look like. Frollicking in green pastures.

Thank you Patsycat, but I have to admit that Mr Charlie'sH and Mr Neverdie's cows look much better than yours.

But I loved the expression "Frollicking in green pastures."

Have to use it in a future post of mine.

They go and frollick during the summer months and during the winter months stay down hill.

Good milk and cheese.

Excuse me, are you putting down my rather fat swiss cows as opposed to your Thai ones? At least they are not massaged like the japanese ones.

And they wear big f.off cow bells.

Patsycat, Please do not misunderstand me.

I love all cows, short, tall, fat, thin, even the Australian ones.

It's not the size that matters, it's the quality of the milk.

Now.....I'm intrigued......how do the Japanese, massage their cows?

Is there a special technique, I don't know of?

I'm dying to know.

have you noticed that nearly every weekend Costas starts a milking thread? Dr Will has obviously not helped him much

Have you noticed that nearly every weekend Costas starts a milking a thread?

Don't listen to the gentleman, David.

My condition is chronic and not only during weekends.

But, please shhhhhhhhh............don't wake up MrToad.

He is sleeping now, all happy, after the big kiss, I sent him.

Mr. Costas sorry to upset another thread devoted to milking but the cows are for eating. They sell them for slaughter.

You need to go around Khao Yai plenty of milking cows there.

Not where, I live.

The same cows have been there for years.

Beef is not widely available, except in 3 or 4 outlets, that I wouldn't dare to buy from as the flies are all over them.

They are not for slaughtering.

of course they are. those same cows have calves every year which are sold for slaughter

Good Morning, to you too.

Just right for breakfast after looking at the picture.

Mr. Costas sorry to upset another thread devoted to milking but the cows are for eating. They sell them for slaughter.

You need to go around Khao Yai plenty of milking cows there.

Not where, I live.

The same cows have been there for years.

Beef is not widely available, except in 3 or 4 outlets, that I wouldn't dare to buy from as the flies are all over them.

They are not for slaughtering.

of course they are. those same cows have calves every year which are sold for slaughter

Good Morning, to you too.

Just right for breakfast after looking at the picture.

that was done in my front yard right AFTER breakfast. the young males are always slaughtered at home or sold for slaughter. this one was to supply 10 families. each family paid 1/10 th of the cost and gets 1/10 th of each part of the steer. everything is used . they eat the intestines with undigested straw still inside.

• Like 1

Costas it is indeed a beautiful sunny day, but dont try your sexual deviant ways on me. We all know your a wrongun, that's why those pesky farangs in Tesco avoid you.

Misunderstood again...........

What's wrong with you people?

My love and affection is only Platonic...............

Ooooooooooh, Patsycat, I'm all ears.......very interesting.

Sorry but run out of likes, I owe you one.

As far I know that cows are considered sacred. My late aunt (Middle Thailand) rescued a cow from being taken to a slaughter house. She took care of the cow as if it was her son. The cow had freedom to roam around the village and every evening either my aunt or her worker would go fetch the cow to bring him back to the stall that was built with net to protect him from mosquitoes bites. The cow lived many years and die of old age. I did not know what happen to the cow after he died.

As far I know that cows are considered sacred. My late aunt (Middle Thailand) rescued a cow from being taken to a slaughter house. She took care of the cow as if it was her son. The cow had freedom to roam around the village and every evening either my aunt or her worker would go fetch the cow to bring him back to the stall that was built with net to protect him from mosquitoes bites. The cow lived many years and die of old age. I did not know what happen to the cow after he died.

no more sacred than any other being

Agreed, they don't have the status of sacred as say like in India. However, a fair amount of Thais don't eat beef for religious reasons.

• Like 1

Agreed, they don't have the status of sacred as say like in India. However, a fair amount of Thais don't eat beef for religious reasons.

what religion?

• Like 1

Easy Answer!

Thai's keep cows for the same reason they keep and tend Kwai or water buffalo!

They are not used in farming any more..

They can't be milked ( though it should be considered..the worlds best mozzarella cheese is made from the milk of specially bread water buffalos in Italy )

They swear that the super tough "beef" I buy at local markets is not buffalo meat.

Those who tend buffalo near my village have more every season, none ever seem to be sold or slaughtered

Easy answer is...... There is no practical reason.

.You are not Thai, You " tink to mut" and you need a reason!

Crazy Farang!

One of the ever growing herds neay my village.

post-147745-0-85208700-1408254779_thumb.

what religion?

I might be mistaken, but those that "follow" Guan Yin (I think I am right, Mrs T not here at present). Maybe one of the members that has Indepth knowledge on Bhuddism and Taoism might be able to give you a better idea.

what religion?

Buddhism. It is fairly common for Thais to refuse to eat beef for religious reasons. If you ask them to explain why exactly the response is sometimes a bit confused and murky. But many Thais do not eat beef and when you ask them why they say because of Buddha, or because it's a big animal (which is bad), or because I am Thai, or something like that.

That's why some restaurants will mark items that contain beef on the menu. Or if you order something, the waitress will warn you if the item contains beef. A lot of Thais refuse to eat it.

• Like 2

I have heard from a few different sources that, "The cow was the first animal to understand the Buddha. The cow then helped other animals to understand." I think the word "understand" should actually be "honor" or "worship".

Don't matter.... more T-Bone for me then.

'nuff said

~

mrtoad

I might be mistaken, but those that "follow" Guan Yin

It is called Guan Im in Thailand. A person who worships Guan Im does not eat beef.

My aunt did not worship Guan Im, she was a Buddhist. The cow escaped to seek refuge in her yard. She bought the cow from being killed.

• Like 1