Why do Thais keep cows?

Costas2008

Mr. Costas sorry to upset another thread devoted to milking but the cows are for eating. They sell them for slaughter.

You need to go around Khao Yai plenty of milking cows there.

Edited by ATF
  • Like 1

Around here they keep badgers, more compact. hey used to milk them, but now you can get milk at 7/11.

Don't know where 7/11 get milk from; have never seen a badger in there.

Others walk or carry tiny dogs that look like overgrown rats, even have baby carriers for them, that is definitely a status thing.

Even more ubiquitous is the Benz, a sure sign of superiority, but cows?

Why indeed?

Edited by buhi
  • Like 2

Mr. Costas sorry to upset another thread devoted to milking but the cows are for eating. They sell them for slaughter.

Not where, I live.

The same cows have been there for years.

Beef is not widely available, except in 3 or 4 outlets, that I wouldn't dare to buy from as the flies are all over them.

They are not for slaughtering.

• Like 1

The cows I see in my rural area are not for slaughter either, you can generally see there ribs, no meat on that type of breed. I asked the wife about them and she didnt know either, she said they just breed and sell them.Make little ones, grow them, sell, make more. I couldnt get to the bottom of 'why" either.

post-109645-0-35923500-1408174057_thumb.

• Like 1

Around here they keep badgers, more compact. hey used to milk them, but now you can get milk at 7/11.

Don't know where 7/11 get milk from; have never seen a badger in there.

Others walk or carry tiny dogs that look like overgrown rats, even have baby carriers for them, that is definitely a status thing.

Even more ubiquitous is the Benz, a sure sign of superiority, but cows?

Why indeed?

We are not Amused.

• Like 2

Pay a guy to bring his bull to impregnate the cow. Sell the calf after a year or so, it's an income. The Muslims do the slaughtering and you have to get to the slaughter houses very early if you want to buy. The meat is only good for hamburgers. We don't buy feed, supplements or pay for vets. The fact that there are flies around means that the meat hasn't been treated with formaldehyde.

• Like 2

Not where, I live.

The same cows have been there for years.

Beef is not widely available, except in 3 or 4 outlets, that I wouldn't dare to buy from as the flies are all over them.

They are not for slaughtering.

I'm sure one of our farming friends will give a more accurate explanation but my understanding is they have breeding stock and they sell some calves.

Pay a guy to bring his bull to impregnate the cow. Sell the calf after a year or so, it's an income. The Muslims do the slaughtering and you have to get to the slaughter houses very early if you want to buy. The meat is only good for hamburgers. We don't buy feed, supplements or pay for vets. The fact that there are flies around means that the meat hasn't been treated with formaldehyde.

There you go Mr. Costas flies good no flies bad.

• Like 1

Mr Charlie, please stop confusing me with the change of your avatars.

I know, you do it for my pleasure, as they are all mammals, except that Inspector Clouseau, but as my good doctor has cured me with my milking obsession, please do settle down.

Can't take any more......................toooooooooo tempting for me.

• Like 1

Bloke opposite us used to take his cows walkies every day.

He must have saved up some money as he recently built a cow shed and they stay there all the time now.

He spends all day with them taking care of them.

Leading them around, putting them to bed and bringing grass for them every day.

Are cows really that stupid?

He also started lighting very smokey fires all day long.

It got to the stage where I could not sit outside and had to stay indoors all day with the doors and windows closed.

The smoke was terrible.

He claimed it was for killing mosquitos.

My Wife got so fed up with me moaning that she went and had a word with the Phu Yai Baan

Since then the fires only appear after 6pm.

Still bad but better than it was.

Maybe he was into selling smoked beef.

Again my Wife does not know why they have cows apart from selling the one they rear.

• Like 2

They keep cows because they've always kept cows, and that's what they think they should do. They can sell them so they can get a small income, but it really isn't worth the effort at all. Traditionally they were a sign of wealth and prosperity. So some just do it because their parents did it back when they were valuable because they were needed to plow the fields. Most people don't keep them anymore though, the number of buffalo in Thailand is a lot less than it was 30 years ago when they were actually useful.

A guess and serious this time, are they used as dowery or trade as written above.

If they were once a sign of wealth, status, likely.

People do keep all sorts of things as pets and dogs can be a very visible sign of status in the West; pedigree that is.

• Like 2