Paying for a flight at the airport ?

PiPiFFS

Hi. I have a freind bailing out in the next week due to the new visa laws etc. He has no working credit card now and if someone books it for him they want to see it at check in. What is the chance of him flying up to Swampy and then doing the rounds trying to get a cheap flight back to the UK. Maybe hanging around all day / night until an airline is set to leave with an empty seat. Feasable or another method he can use Cheers thumbsup.gif

It's possible.

Standby does exist still far as I know.

Then he could be waiting round for days.

I have used another credit card before flying Thai Air, and all I had to do was sign a form saying it was above board and Thai Air would take no responsibility for any fraud. No problems. Each airline has different policies regarding this rule.

• Like 1

I frequently paid separately for my Thai wife's reservations on Singapore Airlines using my credit card. It was no problem for her to check in if I downloaded an indemnity form and sent to the airline. Not sure about other airlines but you could try. SQ is of course not the cheapest airline to the UK from BKK.

Another 'friend', eh?

Standing by at the airport is a bad idea these days. Your 'friend' may either be there for days with no joy, or end up paying the full price for a ticket, which is very expensive. A much better idea is for your 'friend' to give cash to his/her 'friend' for paying on their credit card. He/she should be sure to get a photocopy of both the front and back of the 'friend's' card, duly signed by that 'friend', and take it with him to the airport when checking-in in case it is asked for.

• Like 1

A few years back I purchased a ticket on EVA with my credit card which was in the US..I was in Thailand. When I went to the airport they refused my ticket as I only had the old expired card...I paid cash at the check-in counter...my reserved seats were OK...Later I called the airline & they refunded the credit card charge.

Now I am going to fly next month...no credit card. A friend in the US charged the flight to his card...he filled out a form & supposedly it will work.

There are plenty of airline offices Downtown and at the airport - they take cash.

And many allow email reservation - pay at nearest bank branch

Sometimes you can get a cheap seat by waiting at the airport (& someone feels helpful)

Sawadee.com book hotels - pay at Bank of Bangkok (airport hotels)

I don't see the problem , I have a friend who has lived in Thailand for 5 years and doesn.t like using his debit card online (security issues ). I have used my card to order for him and he gace me the cash. Just did recently he came back Aug 12th from USA and I had booked his RT flites online (Expedia, Travelocity, whatever) booked the entire flite in his name with passport number,a nd otherinfo filled out and there was never a problem. Even booked his auto arrangements in USA.

IMHO the oneway standby option is the most expensive one. You will be better off with using an online comparison tool like Skyscanner and take a cheap return flight, eg. these Chinese airlines are quite cheap. Is there any chance you give him a lift to the airport ? - Going with him to the check-in counter and presenting your CC is the easiest way...

Dude the nigerians do it all the time on stolen credit cards. But best he just get out of here we don't need more deadbeats.

Your post perfectly highlights how TV has gone to the dogs. It used to be a fun and informative place you could come for help and advice but is now filled with morons like yourself. Far from being a deadbeat he is a good friend. I Wonder how many of your friends would pay for you to return home, thats if you have any friends.

To those that have offered actual help thanks. I got him a ticket this afternoon so all OK

Mods you can close this now as it seems to be attracting the @##$%%êrs

• Like 1

If you want to pay cash go to a travel agent and get them to search for the cheapest airfare, long stopovers, whatever date range etc. If you say where you are located people will post the good travel agents in your area.

The bad news is the flights to anywhere in the UK will be very busy due to the school holidays. Not good for a cheap airfare. Dates after the first weekend in September may be much cheaper.

I have booked plenty of tickets for family outside of this country from Lufthansa in the past using my Visa Card and them not having to prove they bought it or showing my Visa Card.

When booking there is a place where they ask if the ticket is for you or someone else and also the proof required to get the ticket. You can use the Visa Card or Passport. So just choose third party ticket and proof with Passport. Just make sure you spell his name exactly as it is on his Passport. .

Ive booked numerous flights for the GF online at AirAsia and they have never asked her for anything but her ID card. If I recall there is a checkbox on the website indicating you are buying the ticket for a party other than yourself.

Or buy a ticket at a Travel Agent and pay cash.

Of course this is the obvious way to do it. Otherwise, the party can use his credit card for his friends ticket again at the travel agent.

Emirates, Etihad, Philippine Air, all demand at check in a photocopy of the visa card used plus a photocopy of the passport of the other person whose card is used. The photocopy of the credit card must show both sides. These are presented at check-in

If someone is available to pay for a ticket I cannot see how there can be a problem.

I find this post a bit strange..

Cathy Pacific will not allow anyone on a flight if the credit card holder is not with the pax or unless the credit card holder has been to a Cathy office and presented the card in person and confirmed they purchased the ticket. I have been through this several times with Cathy and had to go to their office overseas.

Bangkok airways accepted a letter and copy of the card about 10 months ago.