Too many commercials' screens on BTS platforms

LiorW

So now we are forced to stare at the screens, even while we wait for the trains.

I've just been around Victory Monument. As far as I know, they weren't there up until few months ago.

What are even the automatic gates there for? Where there too many people, that fell accidentally to the rails?

Or are they there just as an excuse to the commercials' screens (because standing on the platform for 5 min without doing nothing is a waste of a commercial-time)?

I found them really hard to avoid. They were 2-3 meters from me and 1 meter apart from each other. This is sickening.

I have no problem with the high altitude screens, on the buildings, because when I'm walking on the streets I don't have to look up to the screens. Even in the MRT stations, they are a bit aviated above the gates.

I could look the other way, but still...

Do they exist in all the BTS stations?

Can we expect to be attacked by more in the near future?

• Like 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with commercials on the BTS? Better than looking at graffiti or the dirt on the London Underground. Strange, but very "farang" thing to moan about.

What is wrong with complaining about it?

You pay to use the BTS to get from A to B. Why do you have to accept being accosted by advertising on your journey?

If you only look at the dirt and graffiti on the London underground then you must have missed all the advertising posters on the walls up and down the escalators, not to mention the huge posters on the walls opposite each of the many platforms and other places down there. whistling.gif

Edited by metisdead
Oversize bold font reset to normal.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What's wrong with commercials on the BTS? Better than looking at graffiti or the dirt on the London Underground. Strange, but very "farang" thing to moan about.

You pay to use the BTS to get from A to B. Why do you have to accept being accosted by advertising on your journey?

Maybe the additional revenues from advertisers helps keeps your fares lower? BTS is probably already subsidized without the ads.

Yes, BTS is already subsidized, but that many flashing screens popping out at once, in I don't know how many more stations, is a bit ridiculous.

Should the fares have been risen that much? whistling.gif

Oh, and there were already flashing screens inside the trains... (I think with sound too)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe the additional revenues from advertisers helps keeps your fares lower? BTS is probably already subsidized without the ads.

Yes, BTS is already subsidized, but that many flashing screens popping out at once, in I don't know how many more stations, is a bit ridiculous.

Oh, and there were already flashing screens inside the trains... (I think with sound too)

How about take a taxi, or walk.

I know people here love to complain about everything Thai (and everything farang, really), but this may the most off-base yet.

I personally don't mind the ads at all, and in fact they can sometimes reduce the boredom during daily waits on the BTS platform. My (non-Thai) wife feels the same.

I did notice they use Bose speakers at my primary station, which is a bit surprising, can't be cheap (assuming they are genuine).

Would you rather count rats during the wait, as I often did during waits for the NY subway or London tube?

The BTS is a bargain, and pretty much all public transport has ads...in the Singapore MRT they even have electronic ads inside the tunnel as the train goes by. Kinda interesting, really.

• Like 2

I did notice they use Bose speakers at my primary station, which is a bit surprising, can't be cheap (assuming they are genuine).

If I were Bose, I'd be giving them away for that kind of exposure (if not actually paying them to use my product in public)

Asia is where the USA and Europe were in the 1960's--awash with in-your-face public advertising, before environmentalism and public aestheticism movements started getting the upper hand. In the west, some of the larger cities still lag behind or have retained certain locations as retro cultural icons (Piccadilly Circus, Times Square, etc.).

Hope you're just touring here, not living here, or you will be very, very miserable.

I hate the noisy ads inside the train and I suspect so does everyone else if the number of headphones connected to mobiles is an indication.

C'mon. Admit it. Some of the jingles are catchy.

I especially liked the jingle that went along with the kid playing and getting his pants all dirty and the Mom getting them clean with some kind of laundry detergent.

And the Windows 8 jingle with those weird lady dancers in BxW leotards. "Everything you want" (?? I never was good at the lyrics)

I still can't get either one out of my head, and they haven't been running in over a year.

Edited by impulse

I hate the noisy ads inside the train and I suspect so does everyone else if the number of headphones connected to mobiles is an indication.

No, that's to ensure that one doesn't actually have to have human interaction with a live person. Much better just to text.

How about take a taxi, or walk.

No! Please don't tell OP that. Next we'll have a thread about taxi drivers turning their radios on.

• Like 1

Without the ads you would pay more. Then you could moan about the prices being to high.

Without the ads you would pay more. Then you could moan about the prices being to high.

You are complaining about the complainers?

Like the mrt? Lol

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are complaining about the complainers?

No, explaining

Oh come on! You think without advertising we would have lower fares? cheesy.gif

• Like 1

The company that manage the Ads is seprate from the BTS ... look for the shareholders of the company and you will find who is really profiting from the Advertisement business.

• Like 1

The company that manage the Ads is seprate from the BTS ... look for the shareholders of the company and you will find who is really profiting from the Advertisement business.

You think those companies use the BTS space free of charge or that they pay for that space?

• Like 2

Because it's a ridiculous thing to complain about. If you think you're being "accosted" by video advertising, Asia is no place for you.

I find your attitude ridiculous. If you think complaining about things is ridiculous then the Thaivisa forum is no place for you.

• Like 1

As a shareholder in BTS, I can tell you it is not subsidised. How is installing safety barriers ridiculous?

So far at least one person has fallen on the track. There is always a risk. given the rising number of passengers, that a crowd surge could push someone on the track. For that reason barriers with gates will be installed at every station. The advertisments pay for the installation and maintenance of the barriers so that the fares do not go up to pay for the cost. Fares have not risen much compared with inflation, and tollway charges.

As a shareholder in BTS, I can tell you it is not subsidised. How is installing safety barriers ridiculous?

So far at least one person has fallen on the track. There is always a risk. given the rising number of passengers, that a crowd surge could push someone on the track. For that reason barriers with gates will be installed at every station. The advertisments pay for the installation and maintenance of the barriers so that the fares do not go up to pay for the cost. Fares have not risen much compared with inflation, and tollway charges.

makes one wonder why they weren't installed 10 years ago. guess safety was less an issue then?