Travelling by train in Thailand - It's so much fun! (inc photos)

canarysun

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sukhothai : ( historical park ) " All Aboard viewers! "

Hello Viewers and greetings to you all !

Here is another fab trip i went on last year i thought i would share it with you all !

From Bangkok's Hua Lampong station i caught the 07.00 train ( Rapid ) to Phitsanulok at a cool 179 baht ( ordinary trains from just 69 baht ) I chose the Rapid train as it is a long 6 hour journey!

A long train ride with some great scenery as always with some great buddha temples and interesting things all hidden away in the mountains so keep your eyes on the scenery!

On my arrival at Phitsanulok ( a big train station with friendly Railway Staff ) i then headed to the bus station and caught a nice old cheap bus to Sukhothai ( about a 1 hour journey ) which took me to " The end of the world " ( well it felt like it! ) I found a nice new room for 200 baht, a 7 eleven and a restaurant ( shack style ) offering delicious Thai meals for around 30 baht ( standard prices in Thailand ) I booked in for 2 nights ( zzzzzzzzzz )

The next morning up " with the lark " at 05.00 and caught the bus to the " Historical Park " about 35 minutes away. Sukhothai itself didn't excite me but the Historical Park was " absolutely fabulous " infact it was " stunning " free entrance and you will need at least 4 hours of walking about or you can rent a " cool bicycle " for a few baht from close by.Take a picnic lunch and enjoy this delightful location ! Don't you just love picnics viewers???

All in all it was well worth the long journey and i came back with some nice photos too! Here are just a few of my photos from my adventure! i hope you like them !

see you on another train adventure soon viewers.......

Farang Jaidee ( " on the tracks " ) alt=wub.png>

Thanks for the promo. I hope to be going to Sukhothai myself soon ( never been before ).

Do you have a name for the guest house, please?

Hello Viewer!

From memory ( which isn't good...) when you catch the bus to Sukhothai you have the option of the " old town " and the " new town " I think the historical park was in the old town and i stayed in the new town.The bus station was the " end of the line " and there were a few guest houses within a 2 minute stroll from the bus station I don't remember the name sorry.When travelling about on my train adventures nearly everywhere (apart from Hua Hin) you can find a clean basic rooms from 200 to 220 baht per night it seems to be the standard Thai rate.

Mr Jaideethumbsup.gif

Thanks.

Could be more fun and viewable without the folks in your photos, by the way.

Travelling by train in Thailand - It's so much fun!

Most boring to see you wasted your posting of folks/people and not the real photos of this Country, bah.gif of the Landscape, that is what we would all like to see.

Sad sad.png

Kan Win facepalm.gif

Thank you thank you thank you for sharing your train mini-adventures. They are glorious reminders to (at least some of us) that:

a) The earth is best viewed at eye-level (as opposed to say, from 30,000 ft. above)

B)Earth creatures that we are, we’re more connected to our natural habitat when we have our feet set on the ground (through railways tracks or train platforms) and get a chance to mingle (and wiggle like worms as in a 3rd class wagon at peak time) with our fellow creatures (thai or farang, we’re all of the same species. Though we might not speak the same language, we can’t help but share the laughter – and more often than we'd like to, the farts.)

c) The journey (through life – and that we all must pass) branches out to more vista if we don’t see it simply as a distance between point A and point B. But to those who commend that view, life must feel very short - and at the same time, interminable.

d) Last but not least: the humble toilet, no matter what state of filth it might come to at some point, in many instances of its existence (and ours) is regarded a heaven-sent salvation to those in needs.

Oh wait wait, erhhhh….That was my bottom end popping a very loud balloon of densely durian-scented gas - a totally natural and regrettably unavoidable reaction to reading some of the really sad comments on this thread (while eating fruit in season) Where in fact all I wanted to do was thank canarysun from the bottom of my heart.

To Gandhi, the ultimate slacker, who once said "there's more to life than hurrying its speed -" my response is "Ayutthaya, ayutthaya….wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif "

• Like 2

Give him a break Win wink.png

The guy is obviously having fun and enjoying his travels.

I, for one, am really enjoying this thread (pics and all)

p.s. ... i like yours as well thumbsup.gif

Pictures of the locals really brings home the whole travel experience. Some of my best shots from my travels around the world have been of the locals. Normally with big smiles. These are ones I cherish. Though I do love my scenery shots also!

Great post. Thanks so much for sharing.

• Like 2

Hello Viewers!

Well that's all for now viewers! I hope some of my " train adventures " have given you a few ideas! I shall share any new adventures with you all in the future.If some of you have also been on " the trains " here in Thailand please share with us your experiences!

I shall leave you with a few old photos of my first " Train Adventure " here in Thailand (a few years ago) Which was when i caught the " over night sleeper " train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok ( First Class ) and it was " a cool experience " ..........

" All Aboard Viewers ! "

Farang Jaidee ( " on the tracks " )

I would say bloody freezing

• Like 1

Yes I have to agree with you ( for once..) I don't like air con anywhere! shopping malls,trains & buses are freezing! But if you travel in the 3rd class carriage it's lovely! A delightful breeze all the way! F.J

• Like 1

Anyone know if a service dog can travel on a Thai train?

http://www.blind.or.th/en

will be able to tell you.

I would be very surprised if they are not. As allways the blind association is one of the best disabled lobby groups there is.

I thought I already answered that ( but I'm not going through 6 pages to check ). A dog can be taken in first class. Happened on the train when I came back from Bkk to Chiang Mai. Guy was booked ( with his GF and her dog ) in second class, and dog not allowed, so he upgraded to first class where it was.

http://www.blind.or.th/en

will be able to tell you.

I would be very surprised if they are not. As allways the blind association is one of the best disabled lobby groups there is.

I thought I already answered that ( but I'm not going through 6 pages to check ). A dog can be taken in first class. Happened on the train when I came back from Bkk to Chiang Mai. Guy was booked ( with his GF and her dog ) in second class, and dog not allowed, so he upgraded to first class where it was.

Your answer does not have anything to do with this as we are talking about an assistance dog which is covered by seperate rules.

craigt3365, on 26 Aug 2014 - 10:13, said:
Thai Chi, on 25 Aug 2014 - 19:15, said:

Give him a break Win wink.png

The guy is obviously having fun and enjoying his travels.

I, for one, am really enjoying this thread (pics and all)

p.s. ... i like yours as well thumbsup.gif

Pictures of the locals really brings home the whole travel experience. Some of my best shots from my travels around the world have been of the locals. Normally with big smiles. These are ones I cherish. Though I do love my scenery shots also!

Great post. Thanks so much for sharing.

Hi Folks,

A very big Thank You to canarysun the Original Poster (OP) thumbsup.gif

I have to say I am very sorry for my post above, without reflecting on your views, dear members.

As a landscape photo person I do try to (well ! get folks out of the way) get me shots in as this is "Travelling by train in Thailand - It's so much fun!"

Or am I Damrong once again? me nick name in Thai. facepalm.gif

Lettuce see the Tracks, Trains, Plains and Stations of this Great Country and sorry once again (you Kan take a photo of Folks anywhere in Thailand ) so what is the big deal with my post I ask you both? coffee1.gif

Win whistling.gif

I agree, I love how laid back the trains are in Thailand, dunno but even if they're crowded and a bit filthy, there's just something special about those train rides! But if it's a long trip we're talking about then it's another thing. ;) Wow, those are cool photos you got there canarysun! :)

• Like 2

Dear Viewers,

Those of you who wish to start out on " train adventures around Thailand " I have attached a map of the various " train routes "

It was passed on to me by another " friendly viewer " I would advise you to copy it and keep it on your mobile phones.Ideal for when you are away on an adventure! ( to be honest it's the only time when i actually take a phone outside with me! )

Greetings to you all Viewers!

Farang Jaidee wub.png x

post-193254-0-42772900-1409886162_thumb.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I took the train from Bangkok to the "bridge over the River Kwai" , after that we carried on up the line, nd even crossed the said bridge, and we stopped at some waterfalls, which was nice too..

Left about 0630 in the morning and retuned 8pm.... Excellent day, 120 baht return... Amazing or what...

Great day out, well recommended ...

Glad you enjoyed the trip! it's a fabulous train journey and great way to see the real Thailand!

F.J

• Like 1

Maybe somebody answered already. You can take a dog, you have to pay something, but only on non air conditioned trains. We bought a dog in Chatuchak and brought him backlike that.

• Like 1

I can remember catching the O/nite 2nd class sleeper BKK-CNX to meet the parents of my now wife of 26years, so it would have been 1987, +A few cleansing ales before tea,nice but simple meal, then fussed over by the steward when time to sleep, wake up in chiang-mai,I been meaning to do others, but with the cheap flights nowadays, wait till semi- retirement.

regards songhklasid.coffee1.gifclap2.gifcoffee1.gif

I'm getting quite prolific... we occasionally take the train from our tiny village (yes, we have a railway station) into Buriram on a Sunday. There will be many women from the surrounding villages taking farm produce into Buriram to sell, so a small market develops around the station. Much flirting occurs as they know me. In the train, baskets, chickens, food sellers, an unbelievable collection of noise, smells and colours. They travel for free on this train, as does my wife, I think I pay ฿8.- return, but the conductor doesn't look for tickets anyway. He does enjoy a good clipclipclip though, if I motivate him. Two hours in Buriram, market plus beer then take the Surin - Bangkok train back. Some of the ladies coming back won't have sold anything but they never miss a trip.

Yes, really boring, and most of the fotos I take are of people on the train.

Buriram and the whole surrounding area is fantastic for Train Journeys! and yes there are some wonderful country villages with lovely old train stations.I am planning on returning to Buriram soon to just explore a few of these surrounding villages and as you say for only 5 baht you can travel for about 45 minutes on a train! If you have any photos to post - would be great to see! There seems to be quite a lot of people out there reading this thread with great interest and excitement about " The great train journeys of Thailand "

regards,

Farang Jaidee ( " Casey Jones " ) wai2.gif

Maybe somebody answered already. You can take a dog, you have to pay something, but only on non air conditioned trains. We bought a dog in Chatuchak and brought him backlike that.

please excuse lack of capitals- i am typing with one finger due to fractured hand.

that is incorrect. can take a dog in first class.

yes, has been answered already.