The 2nd phase of the public van service reorganization being discussed

Lite Beer

The 2nd phase of the public van service reorganization being discussed

BANGKOK, 17 Aug 2014, (NNT) - The Committee for the Reorganization of the Public Van Service has met to discuss the 2nd phase of the project with emphasis on providing vans in service with the appropriate license plates.

The Deputy Commander of the King's Guard 2nd Cavalry Division, Col Chalermpol Srisawat, yesterday met with the Ministry of Transport, Department of Land Transport (DLT) and the Royal Thai Police, to discuss the progress of the campaign, while clarifying the details of the public van service reorganization campaign’s 2nd phase, to the related units.

The campaign, so far, has been well received by the public.

During this 2nd phase of the campaign, more than 3,000 vans will receive the appropriate yellow license plates after they have been properly prepared for service, in the 1st phase of the campaign.

The DLT yesterday also performed check ups on vans and granted license seals to owners of vehicles that passed the test. This lot of vehicles had been checked previously but had not meet the requirements of the Department.

[nnt]2014-08-17[/nnt]

Hopefully the 3rd phase will deal with appalling, aggressive way they are driven. We can only live and hope.  

Especially between 6.30 am and 08.00 am when they are doing the commuter run. I have to do Rayong to Pattaya for my Thai classes and eventually gave up taking the vans - in under two years I have been in three minor accidents and can't count the amount of times that the vans are overladen -the record for me was 27 -God help them if they ever have a bad accident in those cases - why and what the hell are the police doing when they see an overloaded van - absolute sweet f all and for me it's a scandal -the highway police need to be totally reorganised and given targets to achieve -that would soon bring these irresponsible idiots to rights.

One of the best things the committee could do - besides policing the drivers - would be to prohibiting any more passengers that one passenger per seat...  Also set up a required upgrade path for Vans ... The Vans are simply too small for long runs... There are intermediate size buses about 1/3 or so larger than a standard Van .. I see them all the time - that would be a much more sensible way of carrying passengers 150 to 200 kilometers... Vans should be relegated to runs shorter than 150 kilometers.  This should be phased in over 3 to 5 years with a requirement that an owner of a Van Fleet who routinely services runs in excess of 150 kilometers to only be allowed to buy larger vehicles as additions or replacements.   

Oddly enough the 'right sized' bus I am talking about is frequently used by services who are - seemingly owned by Chinese companies (Thai-Chinese ?) that service almost exclusively Chinese tourists... I see the buses with Chinese signs and Chinese passengers here routinely in Ao Nang.  I get the idea the Chinese tour companies and tourist are just not going to ride in a cramped - over stuffed little van going 140 kilometers an hour...

These are not full size buses by any means and they are certainly not small Van -- I call them 'Right Size' because they fit the circumstance... 

Hopefully the 3rd phase will deal with appalling, aggressive way they are driven. We can only live and hope.  

Especially between 6.30 am and 08.00 am when they are doing the commuter run. I have to do Rayong to Pattaya for my Thai classes and eventually gave up taking the vans - in under two years I have been in three minor accidents and can't count the amount of times that the vans are overladen -the record for me was 27 -God help them if they ever have a bad accident in those cases - why and what the hell are the police doing when they see an overloaded van - absolute sweet f all and for me it's a scandal -the highway police need to be totally reorganised and given targets to achieve -that would soon bring these irresponsible idiots to rights.
I agree. From observation, the traffic/highway police have a long way to go. In the city of Pattaya, static, foot police do little beyond collect fines for lack of helmets being worn by cyclists. Speeders have free reign and the recent death tolls on Sukumvit Highway and Beach road are testament to that.

The vans that run about on the highways are indeed overloaded, under-regulated, under-inspected, and under the influence.

Any change is most welcome.

Is this a real step towards having the equivalent of MOT certs here? I sure hope so!

It would be great if the vans were tested annually and only licensed if everything comes up to standard.  I watched some being 'tested' a few months back, and not one had the exhaust emissions tested.

They create an amazing amount of black smoke, and diesel has fine particulates which accumulate in the lungs.  Pity the motor bike riders, and the passengers, who get a fair dose as the exhaust tends to come back up into the passenger area.

There is a van company in Phuket who uses GPS systems on all of their vans. They call them to let them know when they are speeding or driving poorly.  THAT is the sort of system that all of them need, assuming the people watching them are not too busy on Facebook or playing Candy Crush.

Children need to be monitored at all times.

• Like 1

All should hold a PCV Licence ( Passenger carrying vehicle) which should include first aid ,highway code, speed awareness.
Vans should have 2 maintenance Inspections a year and vans must be fitted with seat belts if caught with out the correct paperwork,licence then driver and company should be fined by a court not a policeman,licence revoked and van crushed.
Maybe introduce electronic tachographs, driver hrs regulations on all Passenger and heavy vehicles
All Operators of vans/buses and trucks must hold a operators licence and only be given to a company if have a qualified transport or logistics manager (maybe just a dream)