We're in the money! Phuket couple win national lottery

Lite Beer

We're in the money! Phuket couple win national lottery

The Phuket News

1408258999_1-org.jpg

Sutin and Puangkaew Nuanjan with their winning ticket

PHUKET: A couple from Rawai will never forget the number 662842. That was the number on the lottery tickets they bought on Wednesday on a whim.

It was the first time Sutin and Puangkaew Nuanjan had ever bought a ticket in the national lottery – and it was a winner that may net them as much as B34 million.

They told The Phuket News, “We went to the Wednesday market in Rawai and when we saw a lottery vendor we decided to try our luck.”

They asked for two tickets with the numbers 8240 in it – the registration number of their car is Bor Jor 8240, but the closest the vendor could offer was 662842. Close enough – that number was the big winner.

Mr Sutin said he was at a party with friends when he learned about their win. He walked out quietly, he said, then ran to find his wife to give her a big hug. “We were both crying and laughing at the same time,” he said.

It’s too early to make plans for what to do with the money, the couple said, though they have already decided that they will share it with their four daughters, aged 26, 24, 21 and 14.

Besides, the exact amount they will receive is not yet clear. They have certainly won B4 million, but there seems to be disagreement between websites that carry results, over the “lot” number – either B16 million (Kapook.com) or B30 million (Sanook.com).

Whatever the final number, it could not have come at a better time: Mr Sutin, 46, was laid off from the Royal Phuket Yacht Club two months ago. Mrs Puangkaew, 39, is a teacher’s assistant at Wat Sawang Arom School.

The excitement is not yet over. The couple bought two tickets with the winning number, and say the vendor had at least three more with the same number. More celebration can be expected in Rawai in coming days.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/were-in-the-money-phuket-couple-win-national-lottery-47912.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-08-17

• Like 1

what an pityfil lottery, may win them 34 million, just over a million USD, that for a country of 70 million.....what happens to all the takings?

I reckon a USD 1 million payout for an outlay of USD $3.00 is a decent return.

Do you honestly believe all 70 million (its actually 67 million) people buy lottery tickets ?

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

what an pityfil lottery, may win them 34 million, just over a million USD, that for a country of 70 million.....what happens to all the takings?

totally agree ..UK 2 quid a ticket and twice a week minimum 2 million pounds each lottery win (over 100 million baht twice a week) with a similar population group ...

Oh sorry forgot well done to the winnersbiggrin.png hope they enjoy every baht

Edited by terryp

As a side issue, if I was them, I wouldn't want the media attention, in fact, I wouldn't want anyone to know, other than immediate family.

I hope this publicity does not put them in any harms way.

Well everyone knows now, even the registration of their car!

"I'm one of your relations! Do you remember me? I carried you when you were a baby. I stopped you running across the road once. I saved your life. By the way, I need some money to pay off my debts and to ... I'll come by and visit you to congratulate you tomorrow."

• Like 1

And how much will they be left with after the obligatory:

• BiB to help "collect" the winnings
  • Monks and religious scroungers have their share "for luck"
  • Umpteen relatives have their hand out
  • Losses on "sure fire" investment decisions
  • Commissions syphoned off from any real investment they do make
  • Purchasing the obligatory Benz
  • Month after month handouts to all and sundry

etc

Besides, the exact amount they will receive is not yet clear. They have certainly won B4 million, but there seems to be disagreement between websites that carry results, over the “lot” number – either B16 million (Kapook.com) or B30 million (Sanook.com).

Someone explains this please.

Have you watched this lottery it is so confusing they unscrew balls to get the number ball out and roll so many before they start the winning numbers it has to be a fiddle going through all that it is a joke. Other country's have a large dome with the balls spinning and one pops out at a time, it takes about 5 minutes in New Zealand, we have had wins of up to $50mil with 4 mil people.

First time I have ever seen a report about a lottery winner

you didnt hear about the Thai couple who hit it bigtime then died within 12 months ?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Lottery-winning-couple-killed-in-road-accident-30200156.html

As I recall reading in the Thai news, the couple were leaving a busy market area on a motorbike, driving the wrong way against oncoming traffic.

Most lotteries you are obligated to be named and photographed in the rules of play should your ticket be a winner. I believe Quebec Canada a winning couple challenged this small print clause as causing a winner's life being put in jeopardy by media coverage of their big win and they won the right in Quebec to remain as ghost winners for security reasons.....

Doesn't matter what the thread is about. Here at Thai Visa it's a race to make some Thailand bashing comment.

"Pityfil" indeed and I don't mean the lottery.

I hope the money brings them some enjoyment and that they don't spend their time posting spiteful comments on message boards.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Good luck to them, I hope they spend the money wisely. I remember reading about a research project in Germany, which led to the conclusion that the vast majority of German lottery winners a few years after they won, were in needier circumstances than before, maybe having debts to pay off that they incurred during the wild period. Not so easy to handle big money when all you always had was 50 Euro/1000 Baht to pay for your stuff in the supermarket.