What's the skill in riding a motorbike in Thailand?

scubascuba3

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ridden many a bike in my day and for many years.....will not ride on LOS - too many unaware + uncertain drivers coupled with outright bad/dangerour/unpredictable drivers.....you're only as alive as your balance and luck against the odds.....I prefer 2 tons of strong SUV surrounding me + I know the steering wheel always is towards the middle line and I'm in the right lane....the couple of times I rode a few years back I had a tendancy once in a great while to pull to the US side of the road.......

I'd thought a few times about getting another big bike but it always seems when I have that urge there's a picture of sliced and diced road kill posted within a few days.....passed an accident with a motorbike yesterday - the lucky guy was still alive - his face/head/hairline looked like it was sandpapered to raw meat everywhere and he was unable to get off the ground - and he was a lucky one - no other vehicle in sight so I am guessing he just go cut off and went down.......

He'll be scarred up....for life - but will probably ride again until he ends it.....a very high % of the fatalies on the road (85-89%?) are from being on bikes......

The concrete remains undefeated.....

Edited by pgrahmm

In some ways, riding in Thailand is very much like riding in the UK (or the US or anywhere else) in that it takes the same basic skills to keep yourself safe. On the other hand, riding in London isn't the same as riding in the English countryside- riding in Bangkok isn't the same as riding in the North- city riding requires a different skill-set and mind-set than riding in less-populated areas, but both require the same vigilance and wariness of the others sharing the road with you. Simply saying 'riding in Thailand' leaves too much area to cover

There is certainly a higher proportion of unskilled riders and drivers in LOS than many Western countries, but if you can't handle the place after 16 years in the UK (including London), you need to reexamine your ability on two wheels. It takes some getting used to, but it's not as recklessly dangerous as some other places- and experienced rider should be able to handle it- it's much tougher for a newb that has to learn here.

'Crazy' and 'naive' don't really enter into it for someone that knows how to ride- you just need to have a good sense of what's going on around you- that's no guarantee of safety, of course, but there are no guarantees anywhere- that's the price you pay to ride a motorcycle.

Very well put RSD, I agree will all you said.

"Unskilled riders" liveing in two hot tourist places Thailand, Bali what realy gets up my

nose is these rental places that rent out bikes to people that have no idea of what they

are doing and are trying to impress "us riders" that they are rideing a bike by doing stupid

shit on the road...

+ I know the steering wheel always is towards the middle line and I'm in the right lane....the couple of times I rode a few years back I had a tendancy once in a great while to pull to the US side of the road.......

LOL

I never rode a motorbike/cycle before coming to Thailand. Now when I am back in the US I miss it. I have been thinking of getting one for when I am here but I don't trust the drivers in the US, they just are not used to seeing bikes on the road.

So, last week I went to look at a motorbike. I took it for a test drive on some residential streets and couldn't believe the cars. It was like they didn't know I was there, coming straight at me. I kept having to swerve to the edge of the road to pass the oncoming cars.

After this happened three times I realized that it was me driving on the wrong side. Since riding a motorbike has always been in Thailand my brain automatically assumed driving motorbike= drive on the left. I long ago realized the car driving trick of driver always sits to the center of the road but that didn't help me with the motorbike. I laughed all the way back to the shop and am now reconsidering.smile.png

• Like 1

defensive riding and defensive riding! it is the key in Asia.

You have to check every car, every hole, every surface and animal on the roads. But as long as you drove in London, your transition will be easier.

Actually, people say Thailand is very dangerous place to ride a motorbike but i believe, it is safer than our home countries in Europe or USA as long as you ride responsibly with a clear mind and with full protection.

Just take it easy during the first six months until you are adapted.

How many times did you see (in your home country) someone driving/riding at night with no lights, on the wrong side of the road and going towards the traffic ?

Ex London rider.

• Like 2

defensive riding and defensive riding! it is the key in Asia.

You have to check every car, every hole, every surface and animal on the roads. But as long as you drove in London, your transition will be easier.

Actually, people say Thailand is very dangerous place to ride a motorbike but i believe, it is safer than our home countries in Europe or USA as long as you ride responsibly with a clear mind and with full protection.

Just take it easy during the first six months until you are adapted.

How many times did you see (in your home country) someone driving/riding at night with no lights, on the wrong side of the road and going towards the traffic ?

Ex London rider.

i see jealous riders trying to squeeze me to the curb and kill me. i have even experienced beer bottles hurled to me from cars!

The problem in our cold countries, bikes are not common so drivers or other vehicles on teh road does not recognize or expect a motorcyclist. In Thailand, every car rider nearly owns a motorcycle or at least rode before buying the car so they know how to handle a motorcyclist here which makes it less dangerous.

Yes, we have that occasional vehicles coming towards the traffic and some with no tail lights etc still most important thing is being recognized on the roads by other vehicles. In our countries, they dont give you a <deleted>, they dont even count you as a vehicle at times!

• Like 1

Expect that most drivers haven't noticed you, and expect the ones that have don't care! Caution, vigilance and awareness are needed. Sometimes riding slower is more dangerous than trying to clear traffic. It's a day to day challenge, simple as that!

• Like 2

Nicely done! "I think I am pretty experienced" , but your social skills are dodgy!

Fellow riders, take your pick; you are either crazy or naive. I'll plump for a third option of being not sufficiently arrogant to rate my own riding skills, and dis a community within two sentences...

Part of the skill required is being open minded - not making assumptions about other road users.

I've been riding a bike on and off for 16 years in the UK including London so I'm pretty experienced. I'm not crazy or naive enough to ride in Thailand but there must be a skill to it which is different to the UK.

Anyone cracked it how to ride safely in Thailand?

• Like 2

Nicely done! "I think I am pretty experienced" , but your social skills are dodgy!

Fellow riders, take your pick; you are either crazy or naive. I'll plump for a third option of being not sufficiently arrogant to rate my own riding skills, and dis a community within two sentences...

Part of the skill required is being open minded - not making assumptions about other road users.

I've been riding a bike on and off for 16 years in the UK including London so I'm pretty experienced. I'm not crazy or naive enough to ride in Thailand but there must be a skill to it which is different to the UK.

Anyone cracked it how to ride safely in Thailand?

I'm an experienced motorist but a relatively inexperienced motorcyclist. I'm neither crazy nor naive nor do I have a death wish. Riding a bike anywhere in the world is a calculated risk. The risks are in relation to where and when we are riding. In Bkk at rush hour, the risks are in fact minimal - speeds are so low such that the worst that can happen is knocking the side mirrors of idiot motorists who don't stay in their lanes Indian file.

On the highway, the risks are higher due to higher speeds, U turns, intersections etc. More care and attention needs to be paid during these times. When it rains, when the roads have potholes, turn up your attention and focus accordingly.

One does not need any special skills to ride in Thailand. Just common sense, a certain amount of intelligence, lack of ego and patience.

• Like 2

OP ... I was an experienced motorcycle rider in my youth. While not a Harley Davidson rider on Big Bikes I did have two wonderful BSA 650s... fairly long wheel base compared to most motorbikes in Thailand. Aside from Thailand being Thailand - TiT... and a unique traffic traffic experience - which you have seen many post by now... there is one other difference in riding fairly small and short wheel base motorbikes and motor scooters is 'body steering' - shifting weight to help the bike steer around curves or around small obstacles. After three months of riding a bike in Thailand I can finally do a little of that... I find that the small - short wheel base bikes over react to the slightest shift in one's body. So - I had to develop that talent all over again. In general these small bikes take some getting use to in the regards of balance. I could actually ride my BSA - back in the day for short stretches with no hands... not that it is a good idea ... but any coasting downhill without hands is a quickly reversed exercise. I did this to see for myself the great difference in handling small - short wheel base bikes compared to larger longer wheel based bikes... lots of difference.. I yearn for my BSA 650.

• Like 1