Who can import a car for me, or walk me through it?

If I were to import a vehicle that NO immigration person nor any of his friends would desire to own, might the import process be less forbidden?

I am planning to retire to Thailand, and that lets me import a car without duty, as well as household effects, including decent size shovels (I hope) and maybe a ride-on mower for the lawn.

I was thinking of buying an almost defunct, but still drivable box truck (10 to 14' box) fill it up with my stuff and ship it.

Maybe in a container or whatever. Then, once arrived in BKK , i drive it to my new domicile (300 mls up north).Then junk the truck, or use the box for storage.

Seems to me a very economical way to move to a far away country, until some Thai official needs a truck just like mine.

Where am going here, in all my pure innocence?

R.

Anything they deem as having the possiblity to make money would not be allowed.....4x4 not allowed.....I also brought mine over with the retirement shipment.....everything was AOK until the day came to pick it up - then told - sorry that type not allowed.....nothing anywhere in writing to back it up.....but - the car is no longer mine....

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were to import a vehicle that NO immigration person nor any of his friends would desire to own, might the import process be less forbidden?

I am planning to retire to Thailand, and that lets me import a car without duty, as well as household effects, including decent size shovels (I hope) and maybe a ride-on mower for the lawn.

I was thinking of buying an almost defunct, but still drivable box truck (10 to 14' box) fill it up with my stuff and ship it.v

Maybe in a container or whatever. Then, once arrived in BKK , i drive it to my new domicile (300 mls up north).Then junk the truck, or use the box for storage.

Seems to me a very economical way to move to a far away country, until some Thai official needs a truck just like mine.

Where am going here, in all my pure innocence?

R.

Anything they deem as having the possiblity to make money would not be allowed.....4x4 not allowed.....I also brought mine over with the retirement shipment.....everything was AOK until the day came to pick it up - then told - sorry that type not allowed.....nothing anywhere in writing to back it up.....but - the car is no longer mine....

Thanks for this specific info and for all the other warnings I have had from everybody. A regular container seems to be the way to go...... Or leave everything behind and start anew.

I certainly need some decent gardening tools (I am 6'-2") so last month I put a long shovel, a collapsible leaf rake, two long handles for a regular rake and one ski all together in a ski bag and checked it in as sports equipment, free of charge. It worked. TSA was suspicious, they had put a notice in the bag of inspection.

Maybe they wondered where in Thailand I was going to ski.

Thanx again.

R.

ive spent 10 years trying to find a 100% safe way to import my rare vehicles to thailand and unless youre thai and well connected then really, forget it.

it will arrive and some thai guys eyes will light up..........yours wont.

maybe if you leave some contact details in the car he could call you to ask you how to maintain it?

Yeah mine is a new body camaro...I suppose that would have the same result...

Just go over to WIZ Auto and but a new Camero. Even at 5 million baht it is cheaper than importing one.

http://showroom.one2car.com/WIZAUTO

• Like 1

ive spent 10 years trying to find a 100% safe way to import my rare vehicles to thailand and unless youre thai and well connected then really, forget it.

maybe if you leave some contact details in the car he could call you to ask you how to maintain it?

Just go over to WIZ Auto and but a new Camero. Even at 5 million baht it is cheaper than importing one.

Some nice mini cooper's there. Can't tell what anything costs in Thai. I have yet to learn to read it.

Some nice mini cooper's there. Can't tell what anything costs in Thai. I have yet to learn to read it.

Use Google translate, it's rough but it gives you an idea..

I only skimmed through the thread so forgive me if this has been repeated.

Why not import a HSV from Australia. They have a free trade agreement. Yes you pay 40% excise but other duties are nullified due to the agreement.

A lot of things excluded from that agreement including 2nd hand cars.

New, relatively no problem.

Edited by jmccarty

Why not import a HSV from Australia. They have a free trade agreement. Yes you pay 40% excise but other duties are nullified due to the agreement.

I'd love a new HSV GTS.

So if it's a 6000cc would I still be exempt for displacement?

If I have done my calculations correctly then a new HSV would be around the 4mb mark.

Not bad and half the price of the Camaro, right hand drive and loads of power.

I'd love a new HSV GTS.

If I have done my calculations correctly then a new HSV would be around the 4mb mark.

the new HSV GTS is a $95,000 (2.8 million baht) vehicle. I do not for one second believe you will have it cleared customs and in you garage in Thailand for 4 million baht.

I'd love a new HSV GTS.

the new HSV GTS is a $95,000 (2.8 million baht) vehicle. I do not for one second believe you will have it cleared customs and in you garage in Thailand for 4 million baht.
I'm just going on the information on free trade agreement details.

40% tax exise seems to be what's required only to customs. So another 1.3mb roughly.

A little over 4mb. Ain't bad. Much better than what else is available for that money.

Ford imported some Territories about 18months ago. Retail in Oz was $36,000..... Retail here was 3 million.

We both know damn well Ford Thailand did not pay Ford OZ retail for them but yet the dealership sales price here was rediculous....... somehow I reckon there is more to it than a flat excise rate of 40%.

I wish you the best of luck though and if you can get a HSV here for that money I too will seriously look into myself.

I suggest people on this forum stop draming about importing a car under the free trade agreement.

TAFTA conditions

http://www.thaifta.com/english/eng_au.html

Under this agreement, only goods that meet agreed-upon conditions of the 'country of origin' requirements for each product will be able to claim preferential treatment. The conditions comprise: 1) goods that are composed of completely domestic components (wholly obtained) such as mineral ore, agricultural products, and products from domestic live animals; or 2) goods that have undergone substantial transformation through processing, resulting in a change of tariff classification, and that have a significant regional value content of Thai and Australian components (40%-45% of the cost of the product) in their production. (See Annex 4.1)

I suggest people on this forum stop draming about importing a car under the free trade agreement.

TAFTA conditions

Under this agreement, only goods that meet agreed-upon conditions of the 'country of origin' requirements for each product will be able to claim preferential treatment. The conditions comprise: 1) goods that are composed of completely domestic components (wholly obtained) such as mineral ore, agricultural products, and products from domestic live animals; or 2) goods that have undergone substantial transformation through processing, resulting in a change of tariff classification, and that have a significant regional value content of Thai and Australian components (40%-45% of the cost of the product) in their production. (See Annex 4.1)

Australian cars are not available as part of the agreement here or you would see them on the streets.

What you do see and not a bad buy at around 4mb - 5mb is the new BMW Activehybrid 3 and 5. Comes from Malaysia under lower import tax agreement with the Straight 6 twin scroll turbo plus electric motor and combined 340hp w/330 ft/lb torque.

Not an HSV, but a decent car in any case.

Edited by jmccarty

TAFTA conditions

Australian cars are not available as part of the agreement here or you would see them on the streets.

What you do see and not a bad buy at around 4mb - 5mb is the new BMW Activehybrid 3 and 5. Comes from Malaysia under lower import tax agreement with the Straight 6 twin scroll turbo plus electric motor and combined 340hp w/330 ft/lb torque.

Australian assembled cars are indeed given import duty breaks under TAFTA:

0% import duty for AU cars > 3,000cc

6% import duty on others

However, excise taxes were revised shortly after TAFTA was signed, applying combined excise and interior taxes of 111.1% to any car with > 3,000cc or > 220HP, which didn't do much for GM and Ford AU's export plans.

It's all just about to be moot though of course, seeing as no cars will be assembled in AU within the next couple of years.

That said, Chev imported the Holden Commodore as the "Lumina" for a few years after TAFTA, and Ford imported 100 units of the Territory under TAFTA too. The reason you don't see them on the roads is just due to their poor sales performance.

• Like 1

TAFTA conditions

Australian assembled cars are indeed given import duty breaks under TAFTA:

0% import duty for AU cars > 3,000cc

6% import duty on others

However, excise taxes were revised shortly after TAFTA was signed, applying combined excise and interior taxes of 111.1% to any car with > 3,000cc or > 220HP, which didn't do much for GM and Ford AU's export plans.

It's all just about to be moot though of course, seeing as no cars will be assembled in AU within the next couple of years.

That said, Chev imported the Holden Commodore as the "Lumina" for a few years after TAFTA, and Ford imported 100 units of the Territory under TAFTA too. The reason you don't see them on the roads is just due to their poor sales performance.

However, excise taxes were revised shortly after TAFTA was signed,

Isn't that what the Thai government is famous for ? Signing free trade agreements that go one way only.

• Like 1

Maybe anything over the 3000cc threshold or horsepower threshold (220hp) aren't exempt.

I'll look into it with a shipping agent to iron out the details.

200 hp is the cut off I've heard, many under reported "conversions" around.

Maybe anything over the 3000cc threshold or horsepower threshold (220hp) aren't exempt.

I'll look into it with a shipping agent to iron out the details.

200 hp is the cut off I've heard, many under reported "conversions" around.

it's 3,000cc or 220 Pferdestärke (~217 imperial HP), except for the pickup segment, where the rules were relaxed to 3,250cc and 220 PS for the old Mistu Triton 3.2L (and are currently being taken advantage of by the Ranger Wildtrak)

Read some of my posts.....don't even try....I had the same attitude as you - there's a reason you cannot find agents to help you.....the one that I had had the contacts - where with all - offices with experienced staffing and was honest on every level - sympathetic & easy to work with - english speaking - everything in place....cost me 720,000B over the year that I fought for it + a vehicle I'd spent 5-6 years building and truly loved.......

All the good agents have been burned in the processes - no matter how much you research - complete paperwork - get the proper approvals prior.....I didn't believe it before - I believe now.....

It's purely up to them what they will or not let in - there was absolutely NO written mandate that my vehicle couldn't come in....made no difference - once you start to question them or hold them accountable it only escalates and gets worse - not to mention the emotional investment of the fight.....

Us guys from the US are not use to losing.....during that time I spoke to everyone connected in every possible way - not one had known of a success story.....

This guy is spot-on with this post - l know 3 people who have tried this and only 1 was successful. Customs make up the rules as they see fit; the rules can change every time you speak with them. It will cost you a fortune with very little chance of success,,,,,, l hope you do not waste your money mate, but l wish you the best of luck if you do proceed.

• Like 1