Who can import a car for me, or walk me through it?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just before setting off here sold my classic MX5 for 80 000 baht ( £1600) and shed a tear as it disappeared- had considered an import- but was informed could pay up to a million baht in duty.

There are no set rules- if you really love your car be prepared to pay a vast amount. Otherwise simply do not even consider it and move on.

There was a post in another thread a few days ago, which made it clear that cars in the UK are damn cheap.

Now you again. An MX5 would fetch about 5 times that money in any European country at the other side of the big puddle. What is the reason that they are that cheap in the UK ?

UK used cars are stunningly cheap- it amused me that a Benz here- that is considered so Hi So can be picked up for 60,000 or 70,000 at home.

The cost is servicing , the last service I had in the UK cost £500 - the hourly rate you pay is £65- £75 an hour+ oil etc.

There are huge numbers of MX5 s around , it's a buyer's market.

Big old cars Jags, Benz, BMW etc can be bought for just a few pounds- to repair them, buy spares , and service will need you to take out a mortgage on your house

That is the difference.

I'm convinced that the service costs are high in the UK, but they are almost similar in other European countries, yet an MX5 would fetch 5 times the UK price in my country.

The other post I mentioned was about a BMW Z3 M which was bought for 4000 Pound, while in my country just the other side of the big puddle, the cheapest one I could find online was 15000 Pound.

So there must be a reason why the prices are so cheap. In the case of the Z3, for less than half of the 11.000 Pound difference it would be easy to convert to left hand steering and sell it in another European country.

Servicing costs being high and of course repair costs are the main things, but there are other things.

Cold starting is bad for the engines, yes not as bad now, but before engines didn't like the UK conditions , especially UK brand cars, this is still in peoples minds with old cars. Rust, again not as bad as it was, but again it is also still in peoples minds.

We have a strict MOT which most cars over 6 or 7 years may fail and anything over 10 will usually always fail, which brings you back to mechanics hourly rates to get them to pass.

During the economic boom all kinds of people in the UK went out and bought 'sportscars' they could never afford before....estate agents, 'property developers/anyone that had stared at Sarah Beeneys jugs', hairdressers, letting agents, builders, plumbers, builders daughters employment agents etc etc etc this increased the market for hairdessers cars, Audi TT, MGF, MX5, Boxster, RX8, Nissan 350/370 blah blah blah and big Chelsea tractors Romford runabouts. Surprisingly when the economy built on house prices collapsed so did the market for all these cars which the above could no longer afford the credit on so the secondhand market was flooded with these cars and now 5/6 years later these cars are now nearing or are 10 years old (anything except real classics over 10 years old are as good as worthless in the UK See rust and mechanics costs) so are basically erm very cheap.

We also have a very good small volume and kit car market in the UK which the real petrol heads can get something with a far better performance than the above from,cheaply, so there is a lower demand for an old mass produced steel box sportscar.

And of course new cars in the UK are cheap and very cheap compared to UK wages so many people can easily buy new sportscars. Cars in the UK are nearly a quarter of the cost of Thailand while the wages on average are what .... 6 -8 -10 times more ?

Oh and being right hand drive other countries don't want them, where as left hand drive could be sold on to other countries.

I'm a classic car fan myself but I think a better road for you to follow would be to search for a vehicle already in Thailand. Sounds like a good excuse for a Thai road trip! There are a number of websites to search, but one in particular is http://www.carkolor.com/index.htm also some car clubs that could probably provide you with some good advice and often list cars for sale: http://www.thaiamericancarclub.com/ , http://www.thaiclassiccar.com/ , http://www.classiccarsoflanna.com/ and http://www.classiccarclubphuket.com/ . Good luck!

If I retire to Thailand, it is going to be for the duration...... No plans to go back in a year or so.

I gather that a car has to reach BKK between one month before my own arrival and six months thereafter.

I will check on it again.

The main problem I see is if I am held up in immigration for six months. Good planning might help here.

R.

You need an import licence

The Thai customs will do the valuation,, don't bother

with receipts, they won't even look at them, they will

decide what the vehicle is worth, hit you with a tax

of 300% then the fun begins, let us know how you

get on,, i was going to forward the contacts i know in

Bangkok but they don't exist any more so i won't bother.

If I were to import a vehicle that NO immigration person nor any of his friends would desire to own, might the import process be less forbidden?

I am planning to retire to Thailand, and that lets me import a car without duty, as well as household effects, including decent size shovels (I hope) and maybe a ride-on mower for the lawn.

I was thinking of buying an almost defunct, but still drivable box truck (10 to 14' box) fill it up with my stuff and ship it.

Maybe in a container or whatever. Then, once arrived in BKK , i drive it to my new domicile (300 mls up north).Then junk the truck, or use the box for storage.

Seems to me a very economical way to move to a far away country, until some Thai official needs a truck just like mine.

Where am going here, in all my pure innocence?

R.

you are in for a very rude surprise if you think you can import 1 vehicle duty free on your retirement visa, Good luck with it though.

Thanx for the warning.

I was looking on the website for duties of various other articles, and side tracked to a car. There was an exception as I mentioned, but I will check it out in depth after all the warnings from former victims and belivers.maybe a visit to the customs people when

I go to BKK next.

Thank again

R.

ive spent 10 years trying to find a 100% safe way to import my rare vehicles to thailand and unless youre thai and well connected then really, forget it.

it will arrive and some thai guys eyes will light up..........yours wont.

maybe if you leave some contact details in the car he could call you to ask you how to maintain it?

You know? This may have the best chance for success. Have someone write in Thai how to get a hold of you and mention you'd be interested in buying the car back before it goes to auction, ship the note with the car and then once the car is here and impounded maybe they'll contact you and make a deal after the fact so that you can buy your car back.. Won't be cheap, though it may end up being cheaper than even attempting to go through the process and still loose the investment as it will if you attempt to ship it over through proper channels. Maybe the idea of a quick resale will give them pause instead of just eyeing a new car? Who knows??

If I were to import a vehicle that NO immigration person nor any of his friends would desire to own, might the import process be less forbidden?

I am planning to retire to Thailand, and that lets me import a car without duty, as well as household effects, including decent size shovels (I hope) and maybe a ride-on mower for the lawn.

I was thinking of buying an almost defunct, but still drivable box truck (10 to 14' box) fill it up with my stuff and ship it.

Maybe in a container or whatever. Then, once arrived in BKK , i drive it to my new domicile (300 mls up north).Then junk the truck, or use the box for storage.

Seems to me a very economical way to move to a far away country, until some Thai official needs a truck just like mine.

Where am going here, in all my pure innocence?

R.

Customs would take notice if it is of value to you!

You could try Toll Global Forwarding in Bangkok. The are a big Australian company with offices in the US also. Jeff Cutmore. Email. <<< E-mail and phone numbers removed >>> Mention my name, Ken Devey from New Zealand. Good luck

Edited by metisdead
17) Do not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures.

You need to arrange the car to Thai conformity/law before importing. Perhaps change lights,...

Make a request for individual registration.

Without this you won't be able to receive your Thai license plates etc...

Check first the technical conformity requirements for importing your car to LOS.

Edited by Thorgal

Technical conformity to Thai rules?? w00t.giffacepalm.gif Yes make certain it has 2 head lamps and 4 tires coffee1.gif .. On second thought the 2 head lamps is more than necessary for most Thai vehicles. coffee1.gif

US, EU, Chinese and Japanese conformity is not the same.

That's a good reason to keep your rare vehicle on the docks.

Edited by Thorgal

Don't try to import it, American "Muscle cars" is "cheap" new here (Compared to BMW's and such), You can buy a brand new Camaro ZL1 for less than 5,500,000 Baht

A challenger is cheaper than a new Volvo, 3,900,000 Baht.

A BMW M6 is 14,000,000

Back in the states my Camaro is right around 1 million THB, here it is right over 3 million due to taxes...

Don't try to import it, American "Muscle cars" is "cheap" new here (Compared to BMW's and such), You can buy a brand new Camaro ZL1 for less than 5,500,000 Baht

A challenger is cheaper than a new Volvo, 3,900,000 Baht.

A BMW M6 is 14,000,000

Back in the states my Camaro is right around 1 million THB, here it is right over 3 million due to taxes...

it will be value + import taxes so 4 million is what it owes you..... might as well buy here.

Edited by Spoonman

Good luck with that . Keep us informed about the progress.

quite possible... if he is married to the Fairy Queen and still has three wishes whistling.gif

p.s. the ride-on mower might be problem because the steering wheel is in the middle.

• Like 1

I know someone who imported a new Shelby. It can be done if you have the dollar.

Read post #44. The OP's car isn't new.

and...

Jmccarty pointed out in post #44 already that a new car can be imported.

If you want to play parrot, up to you, I suggest you repeat it a few more times then.

This thread is about importing a second hand car, which is made clear already that it can't be done.

I know someone who imported a new Shelby. It can be done if you have the dollar.

Read post #44. The OP's car isn't new.

and...

Jmccarty pointed out in post #44 already that a new car can be imported.

If you want to play parrot, up to you, I suggest you repeat it a few more times then.

This thread is about importing a second hand car, which is made clear already that it can't be done.

I know of only one person who has managed this, the only way it was able to be done was, sign the car over to a Thai and have the Thai bring the car in, then transfer the car back to the farang.

The only reason this was possible was because of the Thais family name, he basically outranked the customs guys.

In Japan the second hand cars are very cheap, and there are some great cars for sale, but I wouldn't bother trying to import one as an individual.

Years ago in the UK there was a large grey market for imported second hand cars, due to the strict Japanese annual car test eqivalent to the MOT test in the UK.

• Like 1