Who can import a car for me, or walk me through it?

I want to explore the possibilities of importing my car from the US. I am looking for a contact merely in Thailand that can walk me through the process.

Before you comment about how it's not worth doing it or it's too much of a headache...thank you, I have heard/read this on many forums etc... I know.

Just wondering where/who to contact so as I don't explore this alone.

Thanks.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess if Thais can drive on the wrong side of the road, you can drive on the wrong side of the car.

Probably with the same consequences.

But to answer your question, probably cheapest in a sea-going container.

Until it arrives, and customs breaks into cheers ….

If you find a way ,please see if you can find the car i imported 11 years ago for a friend ,cheesy.gif it got here no problem ,sent in a container ,once it hit the docks ,and Thai customs got involved ,forget it ,you will NEVER EVER get to drive it.

Edited by i claudius
  • Like 2

ive spent 10 years trying to find a 100% safe way to import my rare vehicles to thailand and unless youre thai and well connected then really, forget it.

it will arrive and some thai guys eyes will light up..........yours wont.

maybe if you leave some contact details in the car he could call you to ask you how to maintain it?

If you are that determined....give it a go BUT if you have heard countless (true) stories, why bother?

I always remember the ongoing epic on here 3-4 years ago of some guy on here trying to import a Toyota Celica/Supra or similar...nightmare is an understatement!

I think it is guaranteed to fail and cause you untold headaches, misery and money as others have said.

If you do try it, keep us posted on how it goes.

I will always remember Cougar52's quote from his car import experience:

"If you bring a nice car in then customs will up and up the price until you walk away, they are then left to get the said car for personal friends at a very low price."

Edited by kjhbigv

ive spent 10 years trying to find a 100% safe way to import my rare vehicles to thailand and unless youre thai and well connected then really, forget it.

maybe if you leave some contact details in the car he could call you to ask you how to maintain it?

Yeah mine is a new body camaro...I suppose that would have the same result...

On top of uncertainty and lengthy process, is not worth it. I did enquiry with and Agency for importing my wife's yellow convertible Mini BMW which we bought second hand for about 12K euros in Italy (hence wrong steering side). It would have cost me (taxes are set by Thai Custom upon car's arrival) about 24K euro on taxes plus 2,5 to 3K delivery via container while the value of the car was 9000euro (as I have eventually sold it for that)

I can get you a contact name at a freight forwarder in Bangkok that can answer your

question if you are interested. send e-mail to <<<< e-mail removed, use PM function to contact >>>>

Edited by metisdead
17) Do not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures.

Been there done the exercise. Do not do it. You will pay 229% or 339% (I think those are the figures) duty plus VAT on THEIR Valuation of what they think your car is worth. You will throw up your hands and abandon the car for them to keep & sell off for "canteen funds & tea money." It is lost before you start. Don't start. No exceptions to their rules. Everything on the customs website re importing personal effects says "except cars."

Better off to just buy a Camaro here, sure it will cost you about Bt4,000,000,000 but you aint gunna import one for much less than that (if you manage to at all).

Better off to just buy a Camaro here, sure it will cost you about Bt4,000,000,000 but you aint gunna import one for much less than that (if you manage to at all).

That must be an amazing car for 4 billion Baht.

• Like 2

Just before setting off here sold my classic MX5 for 80 000 baht ( £1600) and shed a tear as it disappeared- had considered an import- but was informed could pay up to a million baht in duty.

There are no set rules- if you really love your car be prepared to pay a vast amount. Otherwise simply do not even consider it and move on.

Just before setting off here sold my classic MX5 for 80 000 baht ( £1600) and shed a tear as it disappeared- had considered an import- but was informed could pay up to a million baht in duty.

There are no set rules- if you really love your car be prepared to pay a vast amount. Otherwise simply do not even consider it and move on.

There was a post in another thread a few days ago, which made it clear that cars in the UK are damn cheap.

Now you again. An MX5 would fetch about 5 times that money in any European country at the other side of the big puddle. What is the reason that they are that cheap in the UK ?

There was a post in another thread a few days ago, which made it clear that cars in the UK are damn cheap.

Now you again. An MX5 would fetch about 5 times that money in any European country at the other side of the big puddle. What is the reason that they are that cheap in the UK ?

UK used cars are stunningly cheap- it amused me that a Benz here- that is considered so Hi So can be picked up for 60,000 or 70,000 at home.

The cost is servicing , the last service I had in the UK cost £500 - the hourly rate you pay is £65- £75 an hour+ oil etc.

There are huge numbers of MX5 s around , it's a buyer's market.

Big old cars Jags, Benz, BMW etc can be bought for just a few pounds- to repair them, buy spares , and service will need you to take out a mortgage on your house

That is the difference.

Nothing special to be honest.just a basic 2013 model SS V8/Auto.

Nothing special to be honest.just a basic 2013 model SS V8/Auto.

Spoonman, are you on the booze today ? You typed four thousand million

Thailand is the place for girls not cars.

I know there was a loop hole where Thai students went abroad to study and they were allowed to bring back one car tax free. Then I guess your not a Thai student.

Around 15 years ago, the wife was offered the money for a plane ticket if she could import a car for someone, just sign the documents in Bangkok. Apparently at that time foreign resident Thais could import a car, then to get past this scam they required that they own the car for 12 months prior to import.

She didn't go through with it, I thought it a bit dodgy,

I want to explore the possibilities of importing my car from the US. I am looking for a contact merely in Thailand that can walk me through the process.

Before you comment about how it's not worth doing it or it's too much of a headache...thank you, I have heard/read this on many forums etc... I know.

Just wondering where/who to contact so as I don't explore this alone.

Thanks.

As you mentioned, you have done your homework in regards to importing used cars. I wish you good luck and you might want to try Fair & Easy in Bangkok. They are importing/exporting cars for different organizations. They might give you the same advise then a lot of others here on the forum, but you can try.

In the UK last year my mrs asked if that was the deposit price written on the windscreen, I told her no its the purchase price.

She shook her head in disbelief.

There is a car up my way for sale, a 2 door Mazda pick up truck 1995, sale price 75,000 baht.

In the UK I would need to pay a scrapie about 250 quid to tow it away.

Makes me laugh when I see Thais with their 20 year old BMW 316s and they think they are HiSo, pick them up for peanuts in the UK.

• Like 1

Used car import is prohibited. Yes some people have found ways of getting them in. Sometimes they will come in an unopened container where customs is paid not to open it.

You can try to get a Thai student in the states to put the car in their name for 2 years over there and then bring it back as personal effects. This will still cost over 200% for duties & taxes & a healthy fee for the student.

Then they might just tell you to screw off and keep your car.

Just buy the car here.

They have RHD converted Camaros here brand new for about 7 Million baht. A great deal really for what it is. You could just by a Nissan GTR for an extra million.

If you want to bring a Brand New car in then that is a different story. That is not difficult, but depending on engine size and horse power, you will pay between 220%-330% of the Value for Duties & Taxes.

You can not cheat on the value either. They will check the average prices, wherever the car came from, and your invoice better be in the right range or they won't accept it.

Cars depreciate at about the same rate as they do in the states, but you are carrying that depreciation on an amount 3 or 4 times higher. Simple really.

• Like 1

Don't try to import it, American "Muscle cars" is "cheap" new here (Compared to BMW's and such), You can buy a brand new Camaro ZL1 for less than 5,500,000 Baht

A challenger is cheaper than a new Volvo, 3,900,000 Baht.

A BMW M6 is 14,000,000

my wife looked into from the UK ,wheel on the correct side ,VW new Beetle ,told she had to own the car for one year ,which she had ,300% import tax on the new price ,shipping was 600 pounds ,,so could say it would cost 2.5 million bt ,bought toyota ,never been a problem ,

UK used cars are stunningly cheap- it amused me that a Benz here- that is considered so Hi So can be picked up for 60,000 or 70,000 at home.

The cost is servicing , the last service I had in the UK cost £500 - the hourly rate you pay is £65- £75 an hour+ oil etc.

There are huge numbers of MX5 s around , it's a buyer's market.

Big old cars Jags, Benz, BMW etc can be bought for just a few pounds- to repair them, buy spares , and service will need you to take out a mortgage on your house

That is the difference.

I'm convinced that the service costs are high in the UK, but they are almost similar in other European countries, yet an MX5 would fetch 5 times the UK price in my country.

The other post I mentioned was about a BMW Z3 M which was bought for 4000 Pound, while in my country just the other side of the big puddle, the cheapest one I could find online was 15000 Pound.

So there must be a reason why the prices are so cheap. In the case of the Z3, for less than half of the 11.000 Pound difference it would be easy to convert to left hand steering and sell it in another European country.

If I were to import a vehicle that NO immigration person nor any of his friends would desire to own, might the import process be less forbidden?

I am planning to retire to Thailand, and that lets me import a car without duty, as well as household effects, including decent size shovels (I hope) and maybe a ride-on mower for the lawn.

I was thinking of buying an almost defunct, but still drivable box truck (10 to 14' box) fill it up with my stuff and ship it.

Maybe in a container or whatever. Then, once arrived in BKK , i drive it to my new domicile (300 mls up north).Then junk the truck, or use the box for storage.

Seems to me a very economical way to move to a far away country, until some Thai official needs a truck just like mine.

Where am going here, in all my pure innocence?

R.

It may be down to a mix of

• history; British cars, except some sports models, were cr'p and rusted as soon as you looked at them making them pretty worthless after 3 or 4 years, and
  • status; everyone wants new to be one up on the neighbour and the registration plates identify how new cars are; the neighbour you are competing with is likely to have a car that is on average 18 months old, as many new cars are bought for employees with a three year replacement cycle

The Jaguar XKR convertible I bought new in 2000 for £65,000 ($110,000) lost £10,000 as soon as I drove it out of the showroom. Had to sell it for £9,000 last year, even though it was in perfect condition one owner and very low miles. I too was hell-bent on importing it - beggar the cost - until I read all the threads. A Fortuner doesn't have quite the same thrill, but Fortuner + younger wife + two kids is a whole lot more fulfilling than a two seat $hit off a hot shovel monster and a revolving (typically much older) girlfriendtongue.png.

Count yer blessings!

Edited by SantiSuk