Wheres best for Songkran 2015

Captbonio

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best place is Pattaya as the fun start a week before the actual dates. Of course you should always be prepare for crazy Farang who really want to have fun and throw water very hard into your face, eyes and ears. Always wear something to protect these areas.

• Like 1

Kanchanaburi from 13th to 17th,,best ive been to,,,and to all the tossers who hate it,,buy a one way ticket somewhere and dont come back,,sounds like you have been here to long anyway,,bunch of <deleted>.The question was advice on the best place to enjoy Songkran,and all you give is dribble,,,

thank you.... finally...

• Like 1

Where I go it is only 2 days with very little outside of that period - first day seems to be more orientated for the children with magic street shows and children's parties.

Second day kicks off around 10 and there is a parade in the afternoon - loads of water, ice, powder etc - terrific fun and done and dusted by about 7pm - it is a terrific 2 days.

The only problem is then going home, sitting in the garden with a cold beer and listening to the ambulances for the rest of the night.

The best place for Songkran is entirely dependant on what you are looking for - if you want full on , Pattaya has to be the place - I lived there for 9 years and it got a bit tedious but if you are a first timer, it is hedonistic and fun.

Farangs who do not enjoy Songkran should really think about leaving - it is one of the defining events of life in Thailand.

thank you

It's a sad state of affairs if anyone feels the need to ask that question. But hey ho everyone to his own. I would suggest Mars, or somewhere far far away from Thailand.

If you think it so bad, why take the time to reply. He only asked a question get a life you muppet.

My answer to his question :

Last day in Pattaya is great fun.

thank you.... it was a simple question..

• Like 1

It's a sad state of affairs if anyone feels the need to ask that question. But hey ho everyone to his own. I would suggest Mars, or somewhere far far away from Thailand.

If you think it so bad, why take the time to reply. He only asked a question get a life you muppet.

My answer to his question :

Last day in Pattaya is great fun.

thank you.... it was a simple question..

Meet you in Pattaya for the last day 2015 lol.

• Like 1

SINGAPORE

Correct, i use to like Songkran , but its got to violent for me. all the fun has gone out of it, they use to stop about 6/7 in the evening . now it goes on all night its lost its fun value. i Avoid it like the plague.

• Like 2

Thank you to all who posted a reply to my question. I had deliberately kept it a simple one as i hoped not to get drawn into any side discussions regarding the pros and cons of the event. I can see from some replies that for a foreigner, it only has appeal for a limited time. For the locals, it is their heritage and culture and as such is something they all look forward to...

I have only been once, and it wasnt as I had hoped so would like to experience a more full on couple of days, and if it gets out of control, well so be it.. I am sure in my dotage i will be avoiding it like the plague, but for now its something I want to do, and thanks for all who have offered advice and suggestions.

• Like 2

Can't Believe your planning for the Songkran already whistling.gif Don't go to Bangkoks tourist traps anyway if you don't want to get caught in drunken people crush streets like Ko san rd or around Silom.

I was happy to see the end of it and will probable go to the islands or the countryside next year and experience the tradition Songkran in the village my GF is from, as Thais usually go back home at this time.

Edited by Killian30
  • Like 1

Can't Believe your planning for the Songkran already whistling.gif Don't go to Bangkoks tourist traps anyway if you don't want to get caught in drunken people crush streets like Ko san rd or around Silom.

I was happy to see the end of it and will probable go to the islands or the countryside next year and experience the tradition Songkran in the village my GF is from, as Thais usually go back home at this time.

Needs must....

The decision has been made.. Ubon Ratchathani.... dont ask...

Hopefully far enough off the tourist path... but still big enought for some fun ...

• Like 1

Where I go it is only 2 days with very little outside of that period - first day seems to be more orientated for the children with magic street shows and children's parties.

Second day kicks off around 10 and there is a parade in the afternoon - loads of water, ice, powder etc - terrific fun and done and dusted by about 7pm - it is a terrific 2 days.

The only problem is then going home, sitting in the garden with a cold beer and listening to the ambulances for the rest of the night.

The best place for Songkran is entirely dependant on what you are looking for - if you want full on , Pattaya has to be the place - I lived there for 9 years and it got a bit tedious but if you are a first timer, it is hedonistic and fun.

Farangs who do not enjoy Songkran should really think about leaving - it is one of the defining events of life in Thailand.

"Farangs who do not enjoy Songkran should really think about leaving"?????

hahahahahahahhaaha and I guess we should all eat som tam weather we like it or not, or perhaps shamelessly pick our noses in public?

I think the merits of the mutated version of songkran we now see, speak for themself. Just check out the death/injury toll every year. Getting parro and driving a truck is all good though because its a defining part of being Thai, guess I should leave as I don't wish to do it...........

• Like 2

Needs must....

Hopefully far enough off the tourist path... but still big enought for some fun ...

You said don't ask, well i have to now. I suppose your lady had the last say in it lol.

• Like 2

hahahahahahahhaaha and I guess we should all eat som tam weather we like it or not, or perhaps shamelessly pick our noses in public?

I think the merits of the mutated version of songkran we now see, speak for themself. Just check out the death/injury toll every year. Getting parro and driving a truck is all good though because its a defining part of being Thai, guess I should leave as I don't wish to do it...........

I enjoy the Songkran but it gets old in Bangkok anyway, I am sure its a much different SongKran in The Countryside or down the Islands, I think your opinion may be Bias as you live in Pattaya cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Needs must....

You said don't ask, well i have to now. I suppose your lady had the last say in it lol.

haha.. was it that obvious..?

• Like 2

Where I live now, in Nakhon Sawan, I'm able to avoid the more boisterous part and just get the traditional, with the phu yai seated in a row and all the kids and nieces and nephews and cousins respectfully pouring water over our hands and even washing our feet. The moderate amount of water poured over our heads and powder smeared on faces is done gently. Then the youngsters put a couple barrels of water in the back of the pickup and go into town for the wars.

I think if you want more excitement you might try Khao San Road. Their annual water fight makes the international news shows. Or, as one poster mentioned above, try Sanam Luang for more Thai and less farang action. Depends what you like, but I got tired of the public water throwing after about five years.

• Like 2

Where I live now, in Nakhon Sawan, I'm able to avoid the more boisterous part and just get the traditional, with the phu yai seated in a row and all the kids and nieces and nephews and cousins respectfully pouring water over our hands and even washing our feet. The moderate amount of water poured over our heads and powder smeared on faces is done gently. Then the youngsters put a couple barrels of water in the back of the pickup and go into town for the wars.

I think if you want more excitement you might try Khao San Road. Their annual water fight makes the international news shows. Or, as one poster mentioned above, try Sanam Luang for more Thai and less farang action. Depends what you like, but I got tired of the public water throwing after about five years.

Many thanks

Yje best place would be at home with a dozen dvd's and a crate or three of beer

I actually have a SongKran survival pack made up, every year I stay at home and watch, Clint Eastwood movies, Vietnam war movies, and concert dvd, stocked up with beer and whiskey.

Personally I love SK in Bkk, the streets are deserted, all the peasants head home for about 10 days holiday, and there is almost no traffic.

I enjoy the Songkran but it gets old in Bangkok anyway, I am sure its a much different SongKran in The Countryside or down the Islands, I think your opinion may be Bias as you live in Pattaya cheesy.gif

Thankfully there are parts of Bkk where the chav lager louts and KSR hippies havent yet discovered.

It doesnt take place on the normal SK dates and is celebrated by The Mon in Bkk.

What a delight to attend, no I aint telling you where.

Thankfully there are parts of Bkk where the chav lager louts and KSR hippies havent yet discovered.

It doesnt take place on the normal SK dates and is celebrated by The Mon in Bkk.

What a delight to attend, no I aint telling you where.

awww..... Pretty please ????

anywhere thats not in Thailand,so i dont get pissed wet through when going to and from work, knocked off my motor bike,motor bike skids on wet road,cut on face with lump of ice etc. It is supposed to be a nice buddist festival,but it has gone bloody stupid over the last 15 years.

• Like 2

I live in Chiang Mai

If you like the full on Songkran effect I'd suggest Chiang Mai. They start a week early and end well after the holiday has finished.

Thank Buddha I'll be out of the country as I don't really enjoy it anymore.

How many songkram have you been to in CM they do not start early and defiantly end on time, the Thais are tired of it after 3 days and are ready for some dry time. It usually starts around 10am in the morning and is over in most places by sundown of course there is always a few who do not get the message and will continue on for a bit more usually around Thapae Gate.

Really!???? Do you even live in CM?

Agreed. The Thais are done after 3 days. But the drunken farang, mostly Australian based on my experience, are out 2 days early and stay a day or two late. They're out til 10:00pm or later and enjoy dangerously drenching other farang despite pleas not to. You think it's fun going to the airport totally drenched?

Don't get me wrong. I love Songkran in the small villages outside of CM. Chiang Dao on the 4th day is one of my favorites. But drunken farang ruin it for everyone for 6-7 days in CM.

If you like the full on Songkran effect I'd suggest Chiang Mai. They start a week early and end well after the holiday has finished.

Thank Buddha I'll be out of the country as I don't really enjoy it anymore.

How many songkram have you been to in CM they do not start early and defiantly end on time,

Disagree with the 'start early' part. 21 Songkrans and have seen a trend of starting earlier for a while now from 2 days to a week before some Thais will be out already.

From this year, 2014, starting the 10th - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/717917-its-begun-wet-today/

From 2013th the 10th, mentions farangs in the OP but later Thais were mentioned starting even earlier - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/632433-songkran-bah-humbug/

Now go back to 2005, the 10th and starting already - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/31557-songkran/

I don't remember in the 21 years here that it didn't start up at some level up to a week before the official date. Ending though is pretty much on the last day with a small few still going for another day or two.

About 5 years ago I did this:

12th Hua Hin

13th Hua Hin

14th Hua Hin

15th Bangkok

16th Bangkok

17th Pattaya

18th Pattaya

19th Pattaya

Would I do it again? No chance, I do enjoy Songkran but I stick with the last day in Pattaya now.

18/19 sounds like a plan