[really really] lightweight rain gear for big bike

illy

Do any of you guys have suggestions for lightweight rain suits for use on a big bike, full length one piece, for use here in Thailand now its rain season again?

After 7 seasons in Phuket, and many soakings, I still don't have anything that is suitable.

I already have the full rain suit[cyclone suit]... way too hot and bulky once its stops raining. hard to carry around too.

....7/11 plastic ponchos.... absolutely no good ...just either tear apart or blow up like a balloon , ok on a scooter but once you straddle the tank. on a big bike..forget about it!!...and maybe keep 10% of you dry BUT very easy to carry in your pocket/jacket etc.

Has anyone found something that is in between a rain suit and a 7/11poncho like a strong plastic/nylon product that is like a rain suit, and will fold down into a small packet like those camping towels etc you see in outdoor shops?

Thanking you in anticipation of a good answer!!

Phuket got thoroughly drenched today and I was right in the middle of it...water on the road up to the footpegs!!

illy

Revit pacific H2O rainsuit. bought one for monsoon. one piece, easy to wear. not even a drop inside. also sturdy and no flapping. small when packed.

only gripe, leg sleeves are designed for big boots so at times you cannot fully close them if you are wearing half shoes etc but not problem with a proper riding boot.

http://www.pandarider.com/Revit/RevitProductsRainWear.html

Edited by ll2
  • Like 2

How about this!!!!!!

Getting wet on a bike in Thailand is refreshing and you soon dry out again. Personally I never bother with waterproof gear over here.

maybe ok if you are on holiday or retired, absolutely horrible when going to work here though.

• Like 1

Revit pacific H2O rainsuit. bought one for monsoon. one piece, easy to wear. not even a drop inside. also sturdy and no flapping. small when packed.

only gripe, leg sleeves are designed for big boots so at times you cannot fully close them if you are wearing half shoes etc but not problem with a proper riding boot.

does it pack down into a small packet/pocket or one of those arrangements that ties around your waist?

I tried an oversize North Face Goretex layer over my mesh jacket a few times; worthless.

Iff you ride any distance your body moisture will soak you anyway.

Goretex lets vapors out but if the outer humidity is 100% then the vapor has nowhere to go to.

Raincoats are only good for short periods of time in my experience.

Not sure where you live, but I don't find BKK rain cold yet so I think of rain as a free way to rinse the sweat out of my mesh jacket and gloves.

I tried an oversize North Face Goretex layer over my mesh jacket a few times; worthless.

Iff you ride any distance your body moisture will soak you anyway.

Goretex lets vapors out but if the outer humidity is 100% then the vapor has nowhere to go to.

Raincoats are only good for short periods of time in my experience.

Not sure where you live, but I don't find BKK rain cold yet so I think of rain as a free way to rinse the sweat out of my mesh jacket and gloves.

yes that is the problem with the raingear I have that I bought and use back in farangland

I am in Phuket, sure if you get wet you dry off quickly. not so bad on a scooter but when you are wearing jeans, boots, gloves and some body armour on a big bike AND you are going to work its not so great getting soaked esp in monsoon season like now.

that's also why I want one that folds down into the smallest size so its easy carry and you can take it off when it stops raining and fold it away into the tank bag and leaving room for other stuff.

does it pack down into a small packet/pocket or one of those arrangements that ties around your waist?

Yes, it has its own bag and when packed, it is not big. Attached are some photos when it is packed in its bag. Reasonable.

A rainsuit is not something preferable but if you are going to work, you need dry clothes which is a must for me in Bangkok.

If leasure riding, rain here is not a problem as weather is hot but not while going to work or going to meet with your gf!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-184955-14084249198979_thumb.jpg

post-184955-14084249340463_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, it has its own bag and when packed, it is not big. Attached are some photos when it is packed in its bag. Reasonable.

A rainsuit is not something preferable but if you are going to work, you need dry clothes which is a must for me in Bangkok.

If leasure riding, rain here is not a problem as weather is hot but not while going to work or going to meet with your gf!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

yes that looks good, pretty much what I am after, and yes , as you can see from the other posts getting wet maybe ok when you are just having a leisurely fang but going to work is not so great esp in air cond when you always end up with the flu sitting in soaked jeans and boots after one of those monsoonal downpours like I got caught in yesterday.

• Like 1

^

and coming to work with wet clothes even might get you fired after a while in Thailandlaugh.png

and even though it is hot, if you get wet on a bike, you have a chance to get sick from your urinary tracts and stomach.

for city life, a good rain suit is a must IMO.

Edited by ll2

^

and coming to work with wet clothes even might get you fired after a while in Thailandlaugh.png

and even though it is hot, if you get wet on a bike, you have a chance to get sick from your urinary tracts and stomach.

A UTI? You don't store your junk in a self draining position down the side of the bike?

cheesy.gif

^

A UTI? You don't store your junk in a self draining position down the side of the bike?

cheesy.gif

Yes, i docheesy.gif

still, once i got UTI at colder winter weather in Thailand. not very serious though.

it is very common for motrocyclist especially living at colder climates.

Illy. I need to get to places in a timely fashion and agree about the risk of illness after arriving to an aircon environment. Unfortunately there isn't any rain gear that is suitable that I know of. Op in this thread have covered it. Plastics and humidity don't combine well and I don't know of any jacket and/or one piece hitech stuff that fares well either. My solution is to roll pack a shirt and pants, add socks and shoes and carry them in a waterproof bag. Wear the least gear you can safely ride in and don't worry about being wet with a change of clothes. Not perfect but I am at work in dry clothing. I dont mind arriving home soaked. Daily mc commuter by the way.

yes arriving home soaked is ok arriving at work soaked is a bitch! my bike is a sports bike[well sort of] so its difficult to carry too much on it in my small tailpak, but yes, spare clothes is another option but if I can find a really lightweight rain suit that would be easier. the REv'it one mentioned above seems pretty good

Illy. I need to get to places in a timely fashion and agree about the risk of illness after arriving to an aircon environment. Unfortunately there isn't any rain gear that is suitable that I know of. Op in this thread have covered it. Plastics and humidity don't combine well and I don't know of any jacket and/or one piece hitech stuff that fares well either. My solution is to roll pack a shirt and pants, add socks and shoes and carry them in a waterproof bag. Wear the least gear you can safely ride in and don't worry about being wet with a change of clothes. Not perfect but I am at work in dry clothing. I dont mind arriving home soaked. Daily mc commuter by the way.

instead of carrying a waterproof bag, i carry a small bag of rainsuit. a rainsuit is not comfy but i am fine with it after all those years sweating on a motorbike.

and also, as someone working in management, you cannot come work with wet clothes in front of your staff while all those girls and guys in their best outfit and change your wet underwear and clothes in the toilet. it looks weird.

Edited by ll2

I don't let them see my underwear dry or wet! Lol. I have spent a little time on this procedure and spoken to some pretty knowledgeable types who have faced the same scenario. Its the water volume and deluge from below that gets you. I know of no materials that I can walk in that doesn't get wet from sweat. Leave a towel at work and the contents of the waterproof rucksack and not fun but works. In the last 5 years I only had to do it half a dozen times anyway. Honest!

• Like 1

I have the 2 piece Rev'It option, Acid H2O pants and Cyclone H2O jacket in yellow. Works perfect. Cut to fit over your riding gear, sturdy enough for going fast, packs very small and lightweight, comes with storage bag, and was really cheap, 1,000 Baht each piece.

Main reason I didn't get the overall was that there is no real advantage to it, but there are disadvantages. Like I can walk in a Cafe with the rain pants on and take off the jacket, etc. It's just more flexible. Also very easy to put on / take off.

The two piece overlaps and keeps you dry even in a tropical downpour. Of course after a period of time moisture will seep in, as it has nowhere to go. But you won't get soaking wet. Should be all dried out after a few minutes in the aircon.

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1

I have the 2 piece Rev'It option, Acid H2O pants and Cyclone H2O jacket in yellow. Works perfect. Cut to fit over your riding gear, sturdy enough for going fast, packs very small and lightweight, comes with storage bag, and was really cheap, 1,000 Baht each piece.

Main reason I didn't get the overall was that there is no real advantage to it, but there are disadvantages. Like I can walk in a Cafe with the rain pants on and take off the jacket, etc. It's just more flexible. Also very easy to put on / take off.

The two piece overlaps and keeps you dry even in a tropical downpour. Of course after a period of time moisture will seep in, as it has nowhere to go. But you won't get soaking wet. Should be all dried out after a few minutes in the aircon.

i tried the two piece as well thinking same as you regarding flexibility but it is harder to wear especially the pants.

I mean if you are leaving from home with them it is fine maybe but if you need to stop on the side of the road when raining starts, one piece is more flexible.

But, i am really surprised the quality of these Revit H2O rain wear. Good things is it does not stick to your clothes and water cannot seep inside.

Same here. I have the same pants and jacket, but in black color. Not sure wearing these high-viz colors in Thailand has much advantages. I always ride at daylight and mostly the light is so bright people have to wear sunglasses. Especially after rain when streets are wet. So maybe at daylight sometimes black/dark can be a safety color? Guess the best for rain wear at daylight in Thailand is two colors mixed dark/bright?

But jacket/pants is more flexible imo. I can take the rain jacket off as soon as rain stops to prevent unnecessary sweat. Then after a while when there are no dark clouds anymore and streets are dry i take of the pants. Or if rain starts again i put on the jacket again. Imo two piece rain wear is better suited for Thailand.

EDIT:

But jacket is 2000 Baht, not 1000 Baht like nickster said.

Edited by wantan

Same here. I have the same pants and jacket, but in black color. Not sure wearing these high-viz colors in Thailand has much advantages. I always ride at daylight and mostly the light is so bright people have to wear sunglasses. Especially after rain when streets are wet. So maybe at daylight sometimes black/dark can be a safety color? Guess the best for rain wear at daylight in Thailand is two colors mixed dark/bright?

But jacket/pants is more flexible imo. I can take the rain jacket off as soon as rain stops to prevent unnecessary sweat. Then after a while when there are no dark clouds anymore and streets are dry i take of the pants. Or if rain starts again i put on the jacket again. Imo two piece rain wear is better suited for Thailand.

EDIT:

sure high visibility colored rain suit is better for safety.

black absorbs light and bright colors reflect, basic physical facts.

when it is raining, it gets darker naturally.

you have a chance to open the zipper of the revit rain suit to let humidity out. and anyway prefer not wearing a rain gear while going in somewhere otherwise you look like a moto courier.

Edited by ll2

I prefer to simply get rained on. Cools you down and dries quickly enough. Even if arrive a little damp, to me that's preferable to sweating the nutz off inside a plastic tomb and all that goes with that.

If I'm wearing my mesh textile jacket and pants, then I don't mind getting rained on at all. In fact, most of the time, I welcome it's cooling effect.

However, I was riding Doi Inthanon during January of this year. It rained and boy, was it freezing!!! Sadly, I did not have my rain gear with me so I just had to grit my teeth and get on with it.

EDIT:

sure high visibility colored rain suit is better for safety.

black absorbs light and bright colors reflect, basic physical facts.

when it is raining, it gets darker naturally.

you have a chance to open the zipper of the revit rain suit to let humidity out. and anyway prefer not wearing a rain gear while going in somewhere otherwise you look like a moto courier.

I always wanted to start a discussion on this. And i am interested in what others think about wearing high-viz-colors in Thailand smile.png

As i said, i am not sure high-viz colors in sunlight/daylight (especially in Thailand) are always the better choice. I guess sometimes they may are in really heavy rain, but sometimes a dark color can be more visible.

And i am not the only one thinking this:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2013/jan/10/cycling-high-visibility-safe-fluorescent

"In urban roads, where the background surrounding the PTW was more complex and multi-colored, the reflective and white outfits increased its attention conspicuity compared to the black outfit condition. In contrast, in inter-urban roads, where the background was solely a bright sky, the black outfit provided an advantage for the PTW detectability."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22062342

(PWT = powered two wheeler)

EDIT:

Sorry

Let this thread stay on topic for lightweight rain gear.

Dont want to hijack this threat. So iI started a new thread for discussing high-vis-colors:

Pros and cons of wearing high-vis-colors in thailand

Edited by wantan

I use two piece hiking gear. Lightweight, waterproof and both fold into a pack about the size of a fist.

Also part of a 'layering' strategy as jacket can be put over a vented/mesh jacket when cold in morning or at altitude.

Needs to be a good make, such as 'Regatta', sealed seams are a good sign.