Overrated and Underrated things about Bangkok

cloudos

thoughts:

1- having dinner next to the river might not be the best idea indeed, but a dinner on the roof of a boat touring the river next to the illuminated monuments at night is certainly cool. no problems with the waiter, and I don't remember any moskitoes.

2- what about attractions?

my thought is that Bangkok is pretty light on the "things to do" side.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 2

Over? The beaches, the resorts, the hotels, the upscale restaurants.

Under? Some Thai wines (mainly because they're over priced), some old bars' food menus (the Madrid), Bangkok suburbs, Khon Kaen, the hills back of Hua Hin, Rattanakosin Musuem,

• Like 1

Takes about 3 days in Bangkok to see what's worth seeing then it turns into any other big city......except Paris...

Sorry to disagree with you, takes about 1 day to see anything of interest in Bkk.

Personally I prefer lets say, London or New York, Paris goes without saying.

Heck there is more to see and do in Amsterdam.

• Like 1

Taxis - a bit of both.

Under rated - they are very very cheap and most have good air-con.

Over rated - they often won't go where you want go and some want to over charge you with a fixed rate.

(I just keep stopping taxis until one is prepared to use the meter or a suitable bus comes along).

Superstores

They should have a huge range of produce but in reality there is often one complete aisle dedicated to a singe item e.g. noodles, rice, oil, water etc. I suppose this is a function of demand and supply. If most people don't want (or don't know about) all those other things then the superstores are not going to stock them.

(They are good enough for me but I do wonder why they spend a lot of time and money building the things just to be able to display more of the same item)

• Like 1

Under: the women.

Over: the women.

Which one, lets see now, o yeah, I remember her. A real looker, but what a headcase. Her friend, yeah, yeah, Noi or some sh*t. Kinda plain, nothing special to look at but a nice personality, never could figure out why she was running with the nutter. Nother chang! auntie.

Over: bar chatter in LOS.

LMFAO

No disrespect to the OP. Dang I need some sleep.

Edited by ripper15

OP, very good.

I would add, that BKK has some of the best hotels in the world, taking into consideration the most affordable prices.

Ditto. Recently I enjoyed a fine cigar (my vice), a cool beverage and a beautiful sunset, atop an outside bar on a hi-rise hotel, off of Ploenchit Road near the US Embassy.

It set me back an entire 280 Baht. The view and sunset was worth the price in itself.

• Like 2

Good is how little it cost to live here and travel within the country. Bad is the polluted river, the dirty sidewalks, streets, empty lots and most important the Raw Sewage that runs in a open canal on the roadway and walking path for everyone to Smell and look at. Doesn't anybody think that just maybe it might be a health hazard?

• Like 1

It seems a bit useless to "rate" the various things about BKK. A better way would be to "like or dislike" things in BKK.

I "like" the TukTuk ride in Bangkok. For the thrill, the efficiency and because it IS Bangkok. I would have a hard time finding the same in Paris, London or Amsterdam. Don't look in Cape Town, Buenos Aires or Cairo either.

So I put this one on the "like" side, in most instances. If I don't feel some time to take the TukTuk, I won't take it. What is there to dislike about that? Anybody?

Same goes for all other things in Bangkok"

There is one exception. The Traffic. No person who respects his time, and therefore his life, would want to have anything to do with the traffic in Bangkok. I would definitely put it in the "dislike" category. You would not find anything like it in all the places mentioned above.

Unless you take the TukTuk............... Or maybe a Motorcycle Taxi?? Maybe I should try that!!

R.

Underrated: Street life. I could watch it for hours with a pint - the energy, making do, improvisations, breaking all the rules on safety, the clatter, smells, clutter, music, lights, pimps, dogs, kids, stalls, traffic.

And it's all there for free - life in the raw. You can find it in other places, but not in the west.

• Like 2

How can any one compared international cities with so different history !

You come to Bangkok :

1. you do enjoy the hotels

2. you are under the tropics in a very sophisticated capital where a lot is under offers.

3. you can visit a lot of places and enjoy the various colourful scenery with floating markets.

4. you can spend a lot of times on and around the river where it all started from.

Of course for museums New york, London Paris etc...offer a lot but at a high costs and who comes to Bangkok for museums ?

5. you can pamper yourself so well with various body services to select from.

6. you can enjoy tailor made suits at competitive prices and fast delivery to your room.

7. you can eat every where the best Thai, etc...seafood being not attracting allergies like in New York, London, Paris.

8. you can go around in National Parks, on Islands and play in 50 golfs Clubs within 3 hours drive.

TAT, is it you..? tongue.png

• Like 1

Takes about 3 days in Bangkok to see what's worth seeing then it turns into any other big city......except Paris...

Sorry to disagree with you, takes about 1 day to see anything of interest in Bkk.

Personally I prefer lets say, London or New York, Paris goes without saying.

Heck there is more to see and do in Amsterdam.

Bangkok is a town with 1000 faces, that's still surprises me every day , after living here for 6 years en visited it for more dan 40 years.

The given remarks only show a total ignorance about Kotomo

Edited by henry15
  • Like 1

Public transit is overrated. Overcrowded. Why does the airport link only run every 12 minutes? Check out the Makkasan station anytime from 4pm to 7pm. You'll have to wait 3-4 trains to have a shot to get on. Why can't there be one stored value card for all three systems? (rhetorical question... I know why, but I hate it). Why is only 1 ticket machine functional at any station at any given time? (MTR seem more reliable. BTS and Link machines suck).

All that said, it is still better than sitting in gridlock in a cab.

Edited by drewfromUSA

How can any one compared international cities with so different history !

You come to Bangkok :

1. you do enjoy the hotels

2. you are under the tropics in a very sophisticated capital where a lot is under offers.

3. you can visit a lot of places and enjoy the various colourful scenery with floating markets.

4. you can spend a lot of times on and around the river where it all started from.

Of course for museums New york, London Paris etc...offer a lot but at a high costs and who comes to Bangkok for museums ?

5. you can pamper yourself so well with various body services to select from.

6. you can enjoy tailor made suits at competitive prices and fast delivery to your room.

7. you can eat every where the best Thai, etc...seafood being not attracting allergies like in New York, London, Paris.

8. you can go around in National Parks, on Islands and play in 50 golfs Clubs within 3 hours drive.

Sophisticated...I wouldn't call Bangkok this.! correct me if I'm wrong

• Like 1

Over? The beaches, the resorts, the hotels, the upscale restaurants.

Under? Some Thai wines (mainly because they're over priced), some old bars' food menus (the Madrid), Bangkok suburbs, Khon Kaen, the hills back of Hua Hin, Rattanakosin Musuem,

I don't find Bangkok beaches overrated at all. Then again, I haven't found any at all.

So you have never been surfing at the "Flowhouse" near Phrom Phrong ?

http://www.bangkokgirlblog.com/everybody-go-surfing-bangkok-flowhouse/