Met. Dept. forecasts heavy rains in Thailand's North and Isaan

webfact

Met. Dept. forecasts heavy rains in Thailand’s North and Northeast

BANGKOK, 20 August 2014 (NNT) - The Meteorological Department has warned residents living in Thailand’s northern and northeastern regions to brace for heavy rains on August 20-21.

A monsoon is set to be sweeping past Thailand’s northern region, Laos, and Vietnam. Meanwhile, another southwestern monsoon would be covering the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand.

Thailand is likely to face scattered rainstorms in 40 percent up to 70 percent of the country due to these monsoons. Gusty winds and torrential rains are expected across 14 provinces in the North and upper Northeast as well.

Those provinces include Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Nan, Phrae, Phayao, Lampang, Tak, Loei, Nong Khai, Nong Bua Lamphu, Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon, and Nakhon Phanom.

Bangkok and its suburbs, meanwhile, would be covered with cloudy skies and face scattered thunderstorms throughout 70 percent of the capital. Temperatures are set to hover between 26-27 degrees Celsius at minimum and 32-34 degrees Celsius at maximum.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-08-20 footer_n.gif

More heavy rains today and tomorrow expected

2014082012-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- People living in North and the Northeast are warned to brace for heavy rain storms from today until tomorrow as monsoon is now flowing past the two regions as the southwesterly monsoon still prevails in the and a man Sea and the Gulf of Thailand, according to the Meteorological Department.

It warned residents living in Thailand’s northern and northeastern regions to brace for heavy rains on August 20-21.

Meanwhile people in the Central and Eastern regions are also expected a cloudy day with scattered thundershowers and isolated heavy rain throughout the day especially in the provinces of Nakhon Sawan, Kanchanaburi and Suphan Buri.

In the southern region both the East Coast and West Coast can expect a cloudy sky with scattered thundershowers especially in the provinces of Phatthalung, Songkhla, Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat, Phang-nga, Phuket, Krabi and Trang. Wave heights of between 1 and 2 meters are expected in thunderstorm areas.

The Meteorological Department said the monsoon is set to be sweeping past Thailand’s northern region, Laos, and Vietnam while the southwesterly monsoon would be covering the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand.

It said the country is likely to face scattered rainstorms in 40 percent up to 70 percent due to these monsoons.

Meanwhile gusty winds and torrential rains are expected across 14 provinces in the North and upper Northeast which include Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Nan, Phrae, Phayao, Lampang, Tak, Loei, Nong Khai, Nong Bua Lamphu, Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon, and Nakhon Phanom.

Bangkok and its suburbs will also be covered with cloudy skies and face scattered thunderstorms throughout 70 percent of the capital.

According to the Meteorological Department daily weather forecast, areas throughout the country are today likely to receive rain with scattered thundershowers and isolated heavy falls.

(Photo: tmd.go.th)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/heavy-rains-today-tomorrow-expected/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-08-20

Its like every paragraph is a different weather forecast.

What are these sentences even supposed to mean?:

"It said the country is likely to face scattered rainstorms in 40 percent up to 70 percent due to these monsoons."

"According to the Meteorological Department daily weather forecast, areas throughout the country are today likely to receive rain with scattered thundershowers and isolated heavy falls."

Hedging their bets? "Its going to rain somewhere in Thailand today! maybe a lot or maybe just a little!!"

• Like 2

One day late on this forecast...had over 10cm of rain in a little over 2 hours and massive wind gusts in northern Phrae Province LAST NIGHT....flooded the ground floor of one of our school buildings...

Fantastic mega thunderstorm here this minute in Udon Thani, Fork lightening with the loudest bang of thunder I have ever heard in my 72+ years.

Was outside and it was like an aircraft overhead going through the sound barrier.

Empty the dams this time -no more floods forget the rice for a year.

A curiosity. whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

Tell me, is short range weather prediction more complicated here in Thailand than in Australia (tic) or is the Met department incompetent?

I have seen many regular daily forecasts for thunderstorms recently for the Pattaya area. They rarely eventuate?

It is my first "wet season" here so maybe this is normal in terms of weather prediction. " On this day last year it was storming so it will storm today? I have heard a little rain at night over the past few days; maybe that's it?

• Like 1

Tell me, is short range weather prediction more complicated here in Thailand than in Australia (tic) or is the Met department incompetent?

I have seen many regular daily forecasts for thunderstorms recently for the Pattaya area. They rarely eventuate?

It is my first "wet season" here so maybe this is normal in terms of weather prediction. " On this day last year it was storming so it will storm today? I have heard a little rain at night over the past few days; maybe that's it?

I think this is a common problem world wide and that is why they predict in percentages. I.e a 60% chance of rain. If it does not rain, the 40% was correct so all is good.

I think this is a common problem world wide and that is why they predict in percentages. I.e a 60% chance of rain. If it does not rain, the 40% was correct so all is good.

I guess I was just comparing this to weather forecasts and warnings for Sydney where I lived all my life until last year and New South Wales in general.

Of course they (Australian Met depts) are not always accurate but I have seen the accuracy of the short range predictions grow from nearly impossible to predict when I was a kid to regularly accurate in recent years.

One day late on this forecast...had over 10cm of rain in a little over 2 hours and massive wind gusts in northern Phrae Province LAST NIGHT....flooded the ground floor of one of our school buildings...

Fantastic mega thunderstorm here this minute in Udon Thani, Fork lightening with the loudest bang of thunder I have ever heard in my 72+ years.

Was outside and it was like an aircraft overhead going through the sound barrier.

Empty the dams this time -no more floods forget the rice for a year.

That's why I like Udon; a lot more bang for your buck.

• Like 1

Thank you for the information and stay safe.

Yes, I agree. Forecasting is a tricky thing. When in doubt, get it (The umbrella) out.

in the and a man Sea and the Gulf of Thailand

Perfect Thai English

I haven't met anyone "perfect", particlularly those that point out the imperfections of others.

True indeed, so many smart asses on this forum, mostly full of something and bored!

Here heavy rain for at least an hour and not letting down. Only wonder since when Bangkok is in North or Isaan, or was the warning deemed not to be necessary for Bangkokians?

Batten down the hatches---clean out the sewers and drains let half the water out the dams, as there is much more to come.

I went up to the Mae Kuang Dam near Doi Saket (Chiang Mai) on Tuesday and took a good look. I rode over the road that goes over the spillway. There's a lot of capacity left in that dam, about 10 vertical meters. The Irrigation Dept. has been letting water flow out steadily during this entire rainy season. I think they learned from the 2011 floods. Time will tell if I'm right about that.

Yes, I agree. Forecasting is a tricky thing. When in doubt, get it (The umbrella) out.

Yes, it is more complicated here than on the east coast of Australia. Going west from Sydney, you have a large and relatively topographically simple continent with a large number of atmospheric recording stations. Going west from Bangkok, you have ocean and the impacts of the highest mountain range in the world, with many fewer atmospheric recording stations.

Short-range weather prediction in the UK is even more complicated/less accurate. Just ask Michael Fish.

• Like 1