My custom Super Cub

Thaiwi

Do you think a modedd super cub such as yours (thaiwi) would attract police attention like a dek warn (teenage boy racer) on his midnight street racer?

It's terrible to say it, but I think it more depends on who is riding it and where. If a local was on it where I am, near ABAC University, he'd get more attention than me. The police don't bother me here, they are great, even toying with me me at 7/11 for buying beer instead of Laokhao. But if I was riding it in central BKK I think I'd get more attention than a local. Every time I go central I get stopped or have to avoid them, even on a standard bike. I have been pulled in Bang Na, on a PCX which was modified and they complimented me on the bike, took my tea money, asked about my work and sent me on my way, they now wave me through each time that they know who I am.

It's a funny place really. But as above it depends where you are and unfortunately, who you are.

• Like 1

Wow!

What a lovely collection of collectable bikes.

Love the Sparta!

Yeah, the Z1000 is for to and from work everyday (weather permitting) and the Super Cub is proving to be an ideal companion around the streets of Pattaya.

Biking is in the blood and as bikers we realise that not every bike is the same.

MotoGP soon from Silverstone.

Come on Rossi ;)

• Like 2

I love them and would never sell them, though, I get very frequent offers.

That's not surprising! There are plenty available these days if you know where to find them. Quite a few thai nationals make a living out of restoring them back to original factory standard. They are beautiful and actually not too hard on the wallet too.

• Like 1

I got them done myself. Hunted down an ordinary bike, found a good mechanic, found a good spray-painter.

Located a good chroming factory in Bangkok and found the shops that sold spares.

Yes, you can buy them, but, they are not done to as high a standard than if you do it yourself.

The Thais who do them up want to make a good profit, so, they do things as cheaply as possible.

• Like 2

Awesome work mate. Some are better than others. I went through 5 different builders before settling on the guy to make mine. Ive travelled all over and you're right there is some sub par work around, but not all are like that. We gotta remember that this is a country of 60 + million. Not everyone is the same. How long did each bike take you mate? :)

Edited by Thaiwi

They differed as had different mechanics.

It shouldn't take more than a month.

Two days to strip down bike.

Two weeks for spray-paint.

Sixteen days to three weeks for chroming in Bangkok, including shipping there and back.

Five days to assemble.

If you ever do another you should do a build video. They are super popular in this part of the world and I'm sure it would gather a lot of interest. :)

• Like 1

Awesome work mate. Some are better than others. I went through 5 different builders before settling on the guy to make mine. Ive travelled all over and you're right there is some sub par work around, but not all are like that. We gotta remember that this is a country of 60 + million. Not everyone is the same. How long did each bike take you mate? :)

When you get yours I hope you can report back to us about the quality of the rebuild. If I go down the same path as you and buy one from that guy, my motorbike nuts father in law is gonna give me a hell about why I didn't do it myself (and include him). Ha
  • Like 1

They became a bit of a fad with the young Thai guys at around the first retro bike came out, the Yamaha Fino, or, maybe it was the Mio.

When I started buying the basic bikes around five, or six years ago, one with a book was between 16,000 Bt and 20,000 Bt. Without a book, no more than 10,000 Bt.

I live in Phuket and the ordinary bikes have virtually all been bought and done up.

Last year was the last time I asked about a couple and they are asking 30,000 Bt for one with a book (bike not done up) and 15,000 Bt with no book.

Consequences of supply and demand, I guess.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1

Karenbravo, did the white wall tyres prove difficult to track down? Where did you manage to find them?

White-walls were unavailable in Phuket, so, I found a small shop in Surat Thani that had them.

Then they stopped stocking them.

On a trip to Bangkok for other reasons, I asked a motorbike taxi driver a good place to buy motor-bike tyres.

He told me Round-about 22.

Got a taxi there and found an excellent car and motorbike tyre shop about fifty metres down one of the roads from the round-about.

He gave me his card, so, now I just order them by email and pay by bank transfer. They arrive in about five days.

Would give you the info, but, I'm not in Phuket at the moment.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1

There are a few good Thai Facebook pages where locals pass them on (with and without books). I've also got another couple of links for other guys if you're interested in seeing the restored ones these days. C70's and C90's aren't so bad bad the C100's fetch a pretty penny!

Edited by Thaiwi

There's a decent amount of collectors of the C's back home. But I haven't found an established group of people doing them up tastefully in Thailand. There seems to be quite a few 'middle class' people in Malaysia and Indonesia who do an awesome job with the bikes and don't spend their whole budget on a bunch of mis-matched parts. If anyone knows of the same here, point me in the right direction! :)

Gotta start your own I think! Bunch of falangolies puttering around on undersized bikes from days gone by. Ha that would be a hoot

It would give as much entertainment to the locals as it would too us. Couldn't imagine how awesome/hilarious it'd be.