Did you burn your bridges when you moved to Thailand?

giddyup

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The topic is essentially "Did you go all in?" and this was covered not 2-3 weeks ago at length on here. Next.

Sigh... that's the problem, there's no such thing as original thought any more.

You know, I'm sure I heard the same thing somewhere else, recently ! rolleyes.gif

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On retirement to Thailand, I kept both lanes of my "two-way bridge" open. I am forever linked with my family and home country.

My parents are now gone, but both lived to late 80's. My three kids are mature (late 20's to early 30's) and maybe some day they will have families. I regularly communicate with my ex-wife and I shall forever take care of her as the mother to my children and my best most trusted friend.

Upon retirement in the USA, I gave away my commuter vehicles - an old car, old truck and a couple of motorcycles, but I kept a house, a car, truck and a motorcycle for my use during my semi-annual visits and for use by my children when they visit our home state. In Thailand, I have a condo, motorbike and bicycles, but I have been in the market for a car/truck that my Thai wife says I will just park and let sit downstairs until the batteries die smile.png.

I've been lucky, but I like the motto that the more one plans and prepares, the luckier they will be smile.png.

Throughout my mature life and into my 50's I traveled like a backpacker by air, bus and motorcycle around the USA and Asia as I enjoy the perspective - one my ex- didn't like so we alternated holidays and retirement plans smile.png.

Choose your path, make your plans and implement with flexibility.

Edited by losgrad

The universe is a vast place and we all come from it. The atoms that make up you and me will eventually reconstitute into something else, perhaps a bridge. So don't worry about it.

More prosaically, as long as you still have your sanity, some true friends and family, and your citizenship, you haven't discarded anything of value.

Stay in touch with family and friends, stay sane, and keep your passport up to date.

T

I sometimes disagree with you....but you're the guy with the smarts, albeit a little bit of a different lateral than mine. Big tick to what you wrote.

I refuse to sell my house back home. Having come from subsistence living to owning a nice home and business, I value what I have, but could care less if I lost it. I sold my business to finance my (our, wifey and I) life here, knowing that wifey is well qualified to sustain us anyway. The house is rented, giving me my ciggie and Hong Thong money, plus a whole lot more, wifey earns her salary,, most going in to savings....

Every asset we buy here is in her name (it just makes life easier), but if it all went tits up, we (or I alone, for the pessimists here), could go back to a freehold house on a big section and get by.

No, I didn't burn my bridge.

I should say, I didn't burn my bridge mainly because I want my kids to have an inheritance. A house in NZ is more useful to them than a house in Rhek Thum or Ah Sol, wherever....but it is also a passive income while I'm alive.

Just was thinking... property tax on a 2 bedroom house/small lot in New York State is almost 3000 USD yearly!, Not to mention depreciation and the drop in assessment value. Add to this that every block in the suburban village has 4 empty houses for sale. I pulled out a long time ago. My mom put her house in trust, but every penny will go to the State for her care, (The brother in charge is way behind, even after a sale).

I put all my cash in a safe account....Renting in Thailand and Happy.

Big difference ....your luck is with you in NZ.....

Edited by slipperylobster

It' not about burning bridges it's about life choices, you choose to retire sell your assets and relocate to where you are. If your life here comfortable then great you made right choice. If your not happy then bad choice. More to life than a house and car my good man. I retired decide I would move here Start enjoying what I worked a lifetime for. yes it has it's ups and downs but thank god those are mostly in bed. If I stood where I'm from I would still be working to keep my head above water. Now no state tax yes still have to pay federal tax but that's life no frickin Obamacare bull chit. Got my own health insurance so all good. With pension and SS doing real good. Better than these knuckleheads who work here. Work nope no need . only bad thing had to cut lobster dinners down to 3. times a week I don't clean or cook got maid for that. Drive hell no hire driver when I need one taxis here good and cheap for other times. Travel well sure do had to add pages been going so much.So plan for your future and enjoy the present.

Alternatively, do a job that allows you to work anywhere and enjoy this life NOW.

Why spend a lifetime under the bondage of wage slavery, consumerism and debt servitude.

Obviously, these kinds of online vocations were not around 20+ years ago so this isn't saying that older folks were mugs for waiting until they were battling heart disease, cancer, gout etc before coming here.

For younger people, though, this lifestyle is hard to beat.

They just have to make sure they put money away - It's unlikely that the safety net back home won't be anywhere near as generous in 20 years as it is at the moment. Really shouldn't be hard given how cheap living costs are here.

Apparantly there are a lot of people soiling their pants right now on the pattaya news section some of them have burnt their bridges and invested most of their dosh in Thailand and the lovely junta wants to clean house so to speak.

• Like 2

Apparantly there are a lot of people soiling their pants right now on the pattaya news section some of them have burnt their bridges and invested most of their dosh in Thailand and the lovely junta wants to clean house so to speak.

Indeed

I bet the most vocal detractors are going to be the same tools who slagged off people for taking advantage of the visa exempt thing to stay in country and/or for online working without permits.

If they've knowingly broken the law in order to exercise full foreign control of a Thai corporation in a legislative environment that doesn't allow it, I, personally, WON'T gloat or raise a glass of Moet as they're dragged kicking and screaming from ttheir McMansions and dumped on the sidewalk by junta soldiers but I WILL marvel at the machinations of karma

• Like 1

Indeed

I bet the most vocal detractors are going to be the same tools who slagged off people for taking advantage of the visa exempt thing to stay in country and/or for online working without permits.

If they've knowingly broken the law in order to exercise full foreign control of a Thai corporation in a legislative environment that doesn't allow it, I, personally, WON'T gloat or raise a glass of Moet as they're dragged kicking and screaming from ttheir McMansions and dumped on the sidewalk by junta soldiers but I WILL marvel at the machinations of karma

You are aware of the 'machinations of karma' YET you seem to taunt it so often.

You are a funny little man, arnt you?

• Like 2

Indeed

I'll make an exception in your case

Indeed

I'll make an exception in your case

Be a good boy now. ;)

fascinating how posters continue to advocate law breaking

I find it fascinating that the guys in power are targeting the little fish but not the law firms who advised the foreigners to "brake" the law in the first place even the one's run by foreign fake lawyers .

Their crap can easely be found al over the net.

fascinating how posters continue to advocate law breaking

I find it fascinating that the guys in power are targeting the little fish but not the law firms who advised the foreigners to "brake" the law in the first place even the one's run by foreign fake lawyers .

Their crap can easely be found al over the net.

well the fake lawyer stuff is a whole different story. Hopefully those ones will be cleaned up, they seem to be in court a lot at present

Would it not be funny if we were all Thai Buddhists in the previous life, and found our way back? Perhaps a supernatural bridge that could never be burned?

It would be funny if some of the deadheads who spend all their spare time running down Thailand and Buddhism were to find out they were Thai Buddhists in a previous life. I would laugh, anyway. cheesy.gif

gave everything to my daughter or my friends, only brought over what I thought I would use. Used to go back a bit when I first came over but have only been back once in the last 3 years and dont miss it at all. I thought long and hard about it before I made my decision because I knew I would have to live with it. Thailand is my home now, if people that move here cannot accept that then they shouldnt do it, simple, I love it here and will never move back.

I've done it differently. I put everything into storage, just in case I have to go back, but when I die it will all go to my friends.

No although we did consider selling our home we decided at the last minute to keep it since

a relative wanted to rent it.

We had thought selling was a must since managing a rental from here would be too hard.

In hind sight we are glad we kept it. These days the rent from it is like having 3 rentals here so that is good +

we always have the option of moving back & having a place.

Oddly enough it is my wife who is Thai ( but has dual citizenship ) who misses that home the most.

She misses the size & the garden/greenhouse etc as she loves working outside on it.

Also the weather there is very hospitable so that is possible year round.

I would say if nothing else folks who relocate should always at least leave a financial nest egg where they came from.

We also did that aside from the home. That is something that can be used to live on for a few years to re-start a life there.

With the understanding it will never be used here as it has that specific purpose.

That way you have what you have here & if that should go pear shaped for what ever reason...health ...politics/visa requirements etc

you have an option easily tapped

Sounds exactly like my story too. Even the Dual citizenship for wifey. Blocked off a section of my house to store a reduced amount of stuff in and alarmed it witha monitore alarm And I still have a crash pad to stay in. Sold all the vehicles though. I rented the rest of the house to an ex employee. Have the lockup inspected monthly & the house every 90 days. That is important to do!!!!!!

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

It's a big call..Some friends of mine have done well and are depressed just thinking about going back. Yet its not a perfect world anywhere.Some friends of mine here or outside

of Thailand are in to deep and cannot pull the plug.Some of the reasons of not burning your bridges are family homes jobs health problems fear of living in Thailand and going broke etc.Also after you made the move its impossible to move back because its so expensive back where your roots are.Cost of living is a huge issue.Where I am from its scary...We are talking about 2000 usd's a month for rent .In Thailand my rent is about 350 usd's a month.That is one reason for me to burn my bridge.Its something I will have to face one day.I wish anyone that makes the move best of luck..

• Like 1

I too sold my 560 SM house in the USA, all my "stuff" and left behind a life time of friends. I discovered having lots of possessions including friends has it's obligations and is confining. I now live in a 120 SM condo and consider it huge. I have a lovely Thai girl friend, a few nice Farong friends here and lots of time for myself. I don't think I could ever fit in again in the US. I would just be another old man living alone. I have a grown daughter and a brother that I chat on the phone with each week and visit each year but other than that I have no connections with my past life.

Same here Buck, with 2 daughters and lots of grandkids. Im from Oregon, now in Chiang Mai. What state used to be home?

Sold all my guns, ammo, reloading equipment, books etc. That hurt but I got good money

I miss my guns too, ahh the happy hours spent casting bullets and using my progressive press.

The happy family memories of my children helping me with hand loading.

Oh you had to bring that up, didnt you. I turned all my reloading gear over to a pair of grandsons. they thought that was better than Christmas. I do miss the hunting and shooting sports, kids and grandkids, and thats all I miss.Oregon and its cold freezing, snowing, long winters is not missed. I.m here for the duration.