Did you burn your bridges when you moved to Thailand?

giddyup

I never look back, only forward and Thailand has it all for me!

Seems to me that Geronimo has an interesting story, whereas you only have insults.

Pretty droll response Kudel. Let's face it, his story is interesting. You just sound like a bitter old goat, accusing him of being a bum.

Maybe he might share his interesting story at some point.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posts removed

Posting Content & General Conduct

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

yep kinda did. Sold everything and left. I need the motivation to succeed elsewhere by not being able to go back easy and fall back in the life i tried to leave.

And felt by living in two countries for several years, that neither place felt like home . nor gave me the oportunity to grow.

Basically you can make it almost anwhere when you're willing to commit.

Burn bridges . mmm, I am kind of at that cross roads now, I came to stay in Thailand several years ago but maintained a property etc in my place of origin.

Having been back and visited for a few months each year, seeing how things have changed so much, how things are definately declining, it is becoming less and less like the place I knew and is becoming less and less like anything resembling "home". To the point I am now considering detaching my ties to it and making Thailand my one and only place of residence. I will still travel and visit other places a few months each year but my main home will be Thailand.

• Like 1

My definition of "burning bridges" would be just prior to leaving max out all your credit cards with cash advances, take out personal loans, not paid tax for 3 years ect ect prolly get a free 100-200k out of it if you play it right

That's the way to do it, mate. Too many guys think they don't have enough money for retirement. Well, it's sitting right under their noses! wink.png

After about 10 years, do it all over again!

Well maybe you worked a little prior to leaving and in the future have a little retirement money and benefits coming your way wich will of course be confiscated at the source to pay back said bills ,me thinks to many people have been watching to many movies.That kind of living will catch up with you one way or the other.

Yeah that's what you'd think but it just doesn't work like that. Well not in the UK that's for sure.

Creditors can't just take your assets especially if they don't know where they are.

After 7 years, all adverse credit data is removed from credit reference agencies.

Banks are insured against that shit and the morons they sell the debts onto aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

• Like 1

I burned my bridges moving here 3 and a half years ago. I left everything I had in Japan. That was hard... Glad I left, I like Thailand much better than Japan (there are many farang that have made the Japan>Thailand migration, not so many going Thailand>Japan).

I have been moving so much in my life that bridges were always a temporary thing...

• Like 2

My definition of "burning bridges" would be just prior to leaving max out all your credit cards with cash advances, take out personal loans, not paid tax for 3 years ect ect prolly get a free 100-200k out of it if you play it right

That's the way to do it, mate. Too many guys think they don't have enough money for retirement. Well, it's sitting right under their noses! wink.png

After about 10 years, do it all over again!

Well maybe you worked a little prior to leaving and in the future have a little retirement money and benefits coming your way wich will of course be confiscated at the source to pay back said bills ,me thinks to many people have been watching to many movies.That kind of living will catch up with you one way or the other.

Yeah that's what you'd think but it just doesn't work like that. Well not in the UK that's for sure.

Creditors can't just take your assets especially if they don't know where they are.

After 7 years, all adverse credit data is removed from credit reference agencies.

Banks are insured against that shit and the morons they sell the debts onto aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Wel friend in my last years of being a sailor one co worker of mine who was living in the phils for years because the company allowed this ,had to take a few courses back in the motherland ,

I remember standing with him in line in Brussels airport 3 years ago and he got picked out of the line from the airport police and was not allowed to leave the country before he paid his alimony and some outstanding debts .

biometric passports and the didgital age and such....

I often wonder how people who have credit debts with visa and master card in their respective country's can get such cards via Thai banks i say bullshit.

Such things will catch up with you one way or another just a matter of time.

The topic is essentially "Did you go all in?" and this was covered not 2-3 weeks ago at length on here. Next.

yes but repitition can be good for the soul and memorytongue.png

only for you, you silly old bugga......forgetting virtually everything, including ur TVF loggin details :P

$80k in debt. facepalm.gif Needless to say, I'll never be able to get a job in the US unless I want my ass garnished for the next 50 years. Luckily, I make a living on the internet. Creditors can't intertept my PayPal payments. clap2.gif

Bankrupcy?

Some things can't be discharged in bankruptcy such as child and spousal support. They just keep growing and adding 6% interest.

On the other hand, Social Security checks can't be garnished by regular creditors such as banks and credit cards. They can be grabbed by many federal agencies for student loans, federally guaranteed home loans and of course the biggie - the IRS. You can lose 2/3 of the money each month for back child support.

So if your only debts are credit cards and personal loans from banks and individuals, you can be a pure snake and default and leave. Pure snake.

The great thing about being born in Western Europe, is that there will always be bridges to go back.

Social security, Health care system.

The freedom to roam the world, knowing there is a safety net., even for those that like to winge about the nanny state.

You're joking or have been in Thailand too long!

Please explain.

It might have been like that when you left, but when I left 11 year ago it wasn't like that anymore already and it didn't get any better in the last 11 years I can assure you.

I go home every year, so I know what is happening there.

It is not the way it used to be, no, but I am still welcome.

We are probably talking about different countries.

$80k in debt. facepalm.gif Needless to say, I'll never be able to get a job in the US unless I want my ass garnished for the next 50 years. Luckily, I make a living on the internet. Creditors can't intertept my PayPal payments. clap2.gif

isnt that the same as stealing?

The unfortunate thing is that my Thai wife will not come and I cannot go without her. She would not survive there.

Her small car rental business is here, so ALL our meagre assets are tied up, particularly selling the house

According to bank officials, no.

They don't have to give your money back either.

• Like 1

What bridges?

Those fellows that sold everything in their home country before they left are known to have burned the bridges, but they can get back to visit their country (UK) if they have family or friends and stay with them for a little while. if they have no family nor friends then they have to travel as a tourist and stay in local hotels,

If they want to return permanently to the UK they have the option to visit the local council in order to get a flat, they will then also get current UK state pension (no longer frozen like in Thailand) and will also get the free health care again.

To continue to stay here, or not stay here, that is the question.

So like I said if that is what constitutes bridges then I did not have any bridges to burn. Some people wouldn't even know that I haven't lived at home for 10+ years.

Absolutely not.

Post a negative comment about Thailand and within minutes you will have someone reminding you that 'we are guests here in Thailand'.

Its not much of an intellectual response, but it is a very valuable contribution - Don't ever forget it, unless you have a PR or a Thai Citizenship, you are a guest.

Putting aside political change that could force foreigners to leave, it is not simply a matter of where you have your assets, where you have your family - at sometime in the future you will retire, you'll need to meet the retirement rules. And they are never going to get easier.

Live in country where you are a guest - Have a workable plan B.

Plan A : Retain property in the country where you are legally allowed to own land.

Plan B : Live in a country where you are a guest whilst developing the income from the stuff you own in Plan A.

Moved out 8 years ago.......Totally sold up back in the UK, Build a house 40 Km outside Chiangmai, meet a fantastic woman a few years ago, I am living my life.........Got a little tangled 4 years back, I developed a condition I call 'Velvet prison' ...I was bored and very restless and a little concerned that I had shot my bolt over moving out. So I went back to work, luckily my trade is in demand in the gas and oil industry, on and off shore....So now I Love coming home to Thailand, Now very happy with my lot.

Yes, but make sure you only buy a basic laptop as that's all you need for any sort of Digital Nomad lifestyle. Even if you do become good/get lucky at seo or information architecture and become the consummate web-based artisan, you may manage to squeeze a year out of tax dodging in Thailand before having to move to Cambodia.

Make sure you enjoy the dollies while you're here though.

you are a true gentleman. hats off! bah.gif

According to bank officials, no.

They don't have to give your money back either.

no idea what youre taking about

It' not about burning bridges it's about life choices, you choose to retire sell your assets and relocate to where you are. If your life here comfortable then great you made right choice. If your not happy then bad choice. More to life than a house and car my good man. I retired decide I would move here Start enjoying what I worked a lifetime for. yes it has it's ups and downs but thank god those are mostly in bed. If I stood where I'm from I would still be working to keep my head above water. Now no state tax yes still have to pay federal tax but that's life no frickin Obamacare bull chit. Got my own health insurance so all good. With pension and SS doing real good. Better than these knuckleheads who work here. Work nope no need . only bad thing had to cut lobster dinners down to 3. times a week I don't clean or cook got maid for that. Drive hell no hire driver when I need one taxis here good and cheap for other times. Travel well sure do had to add pages been going so much.So plan for your future and enjoy the present.

I sold up and came here with 3 million baht and opened a business. Pure sink or swim. Luckily I swam and after 3 years sold up for three times what I bought here. I then invested all of it in a beautiful condo where I have lived since. I have a job for a western company paying western wages and no mortgage so I am better off than I was in the UK. But I am stuck here unless I sell the condo, which as everyone knows is not easy.

However I like it here and have no wish to return to the UK. Things can go wrong but they can in the west. What will I do if things go wrong? I have no idea. Do I worry about it? No. Life is uncertain.

The way I look at it is, as I drink my tea in the morning watching the fishing boats return to shore having left my beautiful gf to have an extra 30 minutes sleep before she gets up to go to work, life is good. No debts, no cold weather, home of my dreams, slim beautiful gf, friends, car, bike. If I die tomorrow I won't regret the move.

Bridges burnt.

Life is uncertain..as you said why not enjoy as much you can with moderation..Life is beautiful

Absolutely not.

Post a negative comment about Thailand and within minutes you will have someone reminding you that 'we are guests here in Thailand'.

Its not much of an intellectual response, but it is a very valuable contribution - Don't ever forget it, unless you have a PR or a Thai Citizenship, you are a guest.

Putting aside political change that could force foreigners to leave, it is not simply a matter of where you have your assets, where you have your family - at sometime in the future you will retire, you'll need to meet the retirement rules. And they are never going to get easier.

Live in country where you are a guest - Have a workable plan B.

Plan B is always good no matter where you are and what you doing.Agree to go by the rules and you plan B in mind is always safe