Did you burn your bridges when you moved to Thailand?

giddyup

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Bridges can usually be rebuilt, if you put your mind to it.

bridges are burned for a reason....and should be burned if you never want to use it again....so think before you do it....I did and have no regrets...I have freedom (as much as one can possibly have in this fallen world)

• Like 1

Posts removed, some edited.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

• Like 1

I did burn my bridges, but I have been here so long that it barely matters. My family have mostly died off and I have mostly lost touch with old friends. International phone calls use to be very expensive and I was too lazy to use snail mail back in the olden days. This is home now, for better or worse.

• Like 2

I do remember seeing a post not to long back entitled "All in In". I do not see "Burning your bridges" the same. "All in" seems more of a calculated choice where as "burning bridges" seems a bit more reactive and spiteful. Either way both have you in Thailand in what appears to be "no way back" position.

Answering the OP's question, No I did not burn any bridges, I made a few people mad and have received endless flack on how could I ever leave the "Beautiful US of A" to go live in a 3rd world country but I am not "Trapped". I have committed no more money here than I am willing to lose. I keep my financial activity in the US leaving me options to return pretty easily. I did sell off all my assets but that's really not a big deal. I prefer not owning a home and having to be saddled with Property tax and rental management at this juncture in my life. Just not for me. Besides moving back and renting and buying a car are really easy. I am still young enough to be employed at this stage in my life. Do I plan on returning to the US...NO. I love my life in TL with my wife and I do because I do not listen to any of the whiny, complaining old people on this site. Thailand is exactly what YOU make it not what others say it is.

I will say that on a few occasions maxing out my credit cards and then filing for bankruptcy did sound kind of fun. Not very responsible but fun nonetheless.

"Burning bridges" reactive and spiteful, how do you figure that? In my experience there's more whiny young men, especially those who seem to take offence that anyone over 60 still has the audacity to draw air. I have yet to see any complaining responses to my question, it's pretty simple, you either burnt all your bridges or you didn't. I wasn't asking for a commentary on whether you had made the right choice, or if you loved or hated Thailand.

So I spent a few minutes to look into the term "Burning bridges" and "All in".

Burning bridges:

This is an idiomatic expression that all English speakers understand. To burn bridges means to suffer the ultimate consequences of personal betrayal: termination of relationship.

"All in":

This recently hit popularity as a term used from the poker world. Basically meaning "You have thrown in everything you have or own and its do or die, win or lose"

I am in agreement with Cypress, why are you so defensive? You asked a question which was answered as it was with 3 other pages of responses. Were these not the answers you wanted to read? Being it appears you wanted a "yes" or "no" answer you probably would have been better off doing a poll.

FWIIW, I do not care how old anyone is on this site or living anywhere in the world. Behave as a responsible adult and use good judgment is all anyone can ask for. But I do find that over my years of lurking here before I joined TV and since I have found that most of the whiners and grumpy people are the old guys who seem to have a chip on their shoulder or feel trapped. For a forum to be constructive it has to have a balance of opinions. If this was a senior only webpage then it would probably lose luster and spirit. I happen to enjoy Cypress's candid and pointed responses.

Even if you did not burn the bridges your home country is slowly doing it for you. Your country is not the same as it was 20 years ago. Family and friends have their own lives and in many cases you will become just another old photo in the album. I think, so many retirees in Thailand are bitter and drinking too much because that is exactly what happened.

Edited by Timwin
  • Like 2

I am another one who burnt all my bridges to come here 14 years ago.

I worked here as an MBA Professor in BKK teaching Thai Senior Management Business Management in English.

Good money but what top Thai management arrived for their MBA programme. Many could neither read or write basic English, so trying to teach them Principles of Good Manufacturing Management nearly always became impossible.

But unfortunately after a couple of years I had 4 operations on my left knee to replace it. Insurance paid for the first, but the three necessary to finally get it right cost me over 1 million baht and the loss of all my income from the university as I was on just a high hourly rate and not a salary.

Then I retired with half my reserves gone and then, after a full and body-free life, I succumbed to acute appendicitis, gall stones and 3 operations to free up blocked tubes and things affecting my heart, even though I did not know there was anything wrong with my heart. The 5 operations were all done after 65 and no insurance cover. So I lost my last 1.7 million baht of retirement funding.

We can just about live comfortably on my pensions from the UK and I have locked 1 million baht to show immigration this is safe in my bank.

But now, after a very full life, I am retired, nothing to do, except go for a swim 2-3 times a week, doctor' instructions, and bored with staying in the rest of the time. I have now fully realised what a huge difference there is between Thailand and the UK. I can put up with most things after 14 years, but the boredom is killing me, as I cannot walk very far, have seen everything, have a lovely wife who has never experienced an outdoor life, so is content to look after the house and watch television.

I am screaming for something to do. I would love to go back and teach these morons who call themselves Senior Thai Executives, but I cannot because of my retirement visa. Anybody help me with my tale of woe? .............please!

• Like 2

Well done, until you're other half kicks you out or immigration.

Btw, you haven't actually burnt your bridges. You have sold up and relocated, which many people do. Burning your bridges signifies quitting your job, telling your boss, family and friends where to go and tearing up your passport. You have merely moved, no big deal. As long as you're fine with being looked down upon and forever the tourist you'll do well wink.png

Definition: If you burn your bridges, you do something that makes it impossible to go back from the position you have taken.

In my case that's true. I couldn't now afford to buy a similarly priced house to the one I sold, because I have invested a large proportion of the money in the house here, and even if I managed to sell the one here (probably at a loss) I would still be behind the 8 ball because property prices have risen significantly back home. As far as being looked down upon, I don't feel that, but maybe you do for good reasons.

Good on ya mate.Did the same and never been happier .In late 70's got all I want and need and money in bank for any emergency.I have not "burned my bridges" as you put it,I took a gamble(is that legal) to come here and never look back

The topic is essentially "Did you go all in?" and this was covered not 2-3 weeks ago at length on here. Next.

Dearest BKKjames...

Just a thought for you James.

Not everyone sees everything posted on TV everyday and some things may get by some of us.

Yes, even in Thailand, some of us have a life other than our computers.

Why are you so concerned that others may be interested in a topic you are tired of???

If you have been there and done that,

Just quietly move on to another topic that is good enough for you James.

No need for rude, off topic replies.

If you were the only TV member, I could understand.

You are not and I do not.

I myself can identify with the Op's thread

I sounds like one I could have started myself

The only thing I left behind is a few boxes of old photos...too heavy to ship for the price

So please forgive the rest of us James if you do not read every post every day

I can not read every post and reply...not even all of your off topic replies.

Thanks James.

I could not have said anything better. Don't have the time or need to read every post everyday.

The great thing about being born in Western Europe, is that there will always be bridges to go back.

Social security, Health care system.

The freedom to roam the world, knowing there is a safety net., even for those that like to winge about the nanny state.

You're joking or have been in Thailand too long!

The great thing about being born in Western Europe, is that there will always be bridges to go back.

The freedom to roam the world, knowing there is a safety net., even for those that like to winge about the nanny state.

Please explain.

I came here in 1981 on a one way ticket with 145 quid in my pocket. Didn't burn any bridges but there was absolutely no desire to return to UK. It might seem a trifle way out to do that but I had been travelling Europe for 9 years without money, working my way around. So it was easy for me.

The thing that really surprised me was that within 48 hours of arriving in Thailand, the desire to travel vanished and has never returned. I guess I'd been looking for the right place for years and just hadn't found it.

You can't choose where you are born but you sure as hell can choose where you live. Made my choice 33 years ago.

• Like 2

My definition of "burning bridges" would be just prior to leaving max out all your credit cards with cash advances, take out personal loans, not paid tax for 3 years ect ect prolly get a free 100-200k out of it if you play it right

That's sort of what I did before leaving England. Sold my house, took out a loan, maxed out credit cards, paid for flight here on the card. I did pay all my income tax though. Not sure if that's burning bridges, theres no reason I cant go home if i really wanted to.

What bridges?

Those fellows that sold everything in their home country before they left are known to have burned the bridges, but they can get back to visit their country (UK) if they have family or friends and stay with them for a little while. if they have no family nor friends then they have to travel as a tourist and stay in local hotels,

If they want to return permanently to the UK they have the option to visit the local council in order to get a flat, they will then also get current UK state pension (no longer frozen like in Thailand) and will also get the free health care again.

To continue to stay here, or not stay here, that is the question.

Please explain.

It might have been like that when you left, but when I left 11 year ago it wasn't like that anymore already and it didn't get any better in the last 11 years I can assure you.

Thailand is my plan B. Plan A went out the window and over the burning bridge with my ex along with a cool half million in cash not including property I had to split up. I've had many people and things to forgive since then. Thankfully, I was able to forgive them all. I've made my peace with God as well because in the end He gets the final accounting.

• Like 1

I did burn my bridges, but I have been here so long that it barely matters. My family have mostly died off and I have mostly lost touch with old friends. International phone calls use to be very expensive and I was too lazy to use snail mail back in the olden days. This is home now, for better or worse.

"the olden days"

Brilliant stuff, nice one.

I never look back, only forward and Thailand has it all for me!

Because like you said you never had anything in the first place any way like travelling around europe with out money so basicly you where a bum and still are after so many years.

They tell me these days the PC term is "free spirit"

The kid dont need no stinking education or qualifications, just let him express himself.

Best of luck to him, why do farang tink too mutt?

I never look back, only forward and Thailand has it all for me!

Because like you said you never had anything in the first place any way like travelling around europe with out money so basicly you where a bum and still are after so many years.

Seems to me that Geronimo has an interesting story, whereas you only have insults.

• Like 2

My definition of "burning bridges" would be just prior to leaving max out all your credit cards with cash advances, take out personal loans, not paid tax for 3 years ect ect prolly get a free 100-200k out of it if you play it right

That's the way to do it, mate. Too many guys think they don't have enough money for retirement. Well, it's sitting right under their noses! wink.png

After about 10 years, do it all over again!

That's the way to do it, mate. Too many guys think they don't have enough money for retirement. Well, it's sitting right under their noses! wink.png

"The last cheque I write I want to bounce" - Mike Bloomberg

OB

Well maybe you worked a little prior to leaving and in the future have a little retirement money and benefits coming your way wich will of course be confiscated at the source to pay back said bills ,me thinks to many people have been watching to many movies.That kind of living will catch up with you one way or the other.

Edited by Kudel