First Aid Course

jagi00

My kids school is trying to organise one for teachers and parents.

As far as i know there are none for individuals.

In the past I have had to go to Singapore to get my "first aid at work" certificate.

Anything regarding first aid or safety is not a high priority here, sadly. Though that is changing slowly.

Perhaps try asking the Red Cross.

http://english.redcross.or.th/home

Edited by DaamNaam

http://www.firstaidforfree.com/ this one is 100% free including certificate you can print out. There is another one that is free but charges you 19.95 for the certificate. Certificates are good for 2 years....stuff changes. I think now, they are promoting more compression based CPR vs. the 30/2 standard that was around for ages. I was paid to take the course, when I was involved in warfare against gangs err I mean when I was a school bus driver. It was taught by the paramedic, who attended to Christopher Reeves, when his horse didn't quite make the jump. It was about four hours, including 40 question exam.

• Like 1

Once our kids school one is up and running i will let you all know, and try and get one off the ground.

In the meantime i am trying to find out if normal folks (not sure how Thai Visa qualifies there, lol) are able to join the school one.

Watch this space.

• Like 1

Once our kids school one is up and running i will let you all know, and try and get one off the ground.

In the meantime i am trying to find out if normal folks (not sure how Thai Visa qualifies there, lol) are able to join the school one.

Watch this space.

Thanks DaamNaam, that would be great if we could join the school one.

Watch this space.

Thanks DaamNaam, that would be great if we could join the school one.

I've asked the lady organising it and she hasn't answered me yet, been a few days too, starting to get that feeling when Thai's don't answer you because the answer is no or I don't know, rather than being upfront.

But that would need to be another course in itself to be able to deal with that. First aid wouldn't cover it..

Will let you know as soon as i know.

Since my last posting on this matter, I just completed the First Aid Course, and the Advanced FIrst Aid Course, and received a certificate for each. Good course, a lot of refresher stuff for me, but it had been 6 years.....These are hard to beat for free. I did look at the American Red Cross website, and they offer a little more variety. I guess they have to pay all those administrators their high salaries, because none of them are free. For 50 bucks, I may take the one for coaches. It doesn't look like you can get American Red Cross Certified CPR, online, they must want to see you practice with the dummies. But, those courses are much simpler than the first aid. http://www.redcross.org/courses/index.jsp?_requestid=34417

most states have "good samaritan laws" to protect people in those situations.

Dude, you're talking about classes in Maryland, is that correct?

They are showing the classroom courses in the area around American Red Cross HQ in DC.

Sorry the link didn't bring the parameters over, but click on the online course box on the left. I believe it had 11 different online first aid courses on topics with emphasis on swimming coaches, to coaches in general, to kids, to family members, to seniors.....but for free, this was pretty good...just doesn't give you the Red Cross logo on your certificate: http://www.firstaidforfree.com/free-first-aid-course/

You wouldn't be sued here for trying to save someones life.

That's a US thing. Starting to be Aus / UK/ Canadian thing.

I would rather have attempted to help someone out than be worried they would sue me.

Be the change you want to see and all that jazz.

The whole point my kids school is running one is a kid nearly lost a finger in a gate and none of the Thai parents knew what to do, they just froze or panicked.

This is not acceptable to me, they should know first aid, all parents should. In fact everybody should.

If the locals knew first aid they wouldn't be putting injured souls into the back of pick ups without so much as a neck brace little alone a secured stretcher. A real disgrace to be honest.

Rant over...

Edited by DaamNaam
  • Like 2

You wouldn't be sued here for trying to save someones life.

That's a US thing. Starting to be Aus / UK/ Canadian thing.

I would rather have attempted to help someone out than be worried they would sue me.

Be the change you want to see and all that jazz.

The whole point my kids school is running one is a kid nearly lost a finger in a gate and none of the Thai parents knew what to do, they just froze or panicked.

This is not acceptable to me, they should know first aid, all parents should. In fact everybody should.

If the locals knew first aid they wouldn't be putting injured souls into the back of pick ups without so much as a neck brace little alone a secured stretcher. A real disgrace to be honest.

Rant over...

Has Michael Moore been teaching you about America, again......http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2013/03/bakersfield_cpr_denial_can_you_be_sued_for_performing_cpr.html

Actually, you can face criminal charges for NOT providing assistance. However, you do make a good point about the lack of first aid knowledge here. Excellent healthcare in Thailand, but it doesn't start until you get to the hospital (and your payment method is okayed).

Edited by Thighlander