dd-wrt loaded VPN router - which one

vento

Hi, i need a extra router for a VPN connection. as i understand it, dd-wrt support openvpn. please correct me if im wrong,

i need to be able to share one VPN on my devices (WIFI)

Anyone have any idea which/what is available in BKK?

My plan is to go to pantip, but i would prefer to go there equipped with some info, rather than trying to explain to someone there that i dont need a router to connect my ipad to wifi.... - well, you know what i mean right? :)

Not all dd-wrt routers are stable or reliable.

I could recommend an asus router that works with merlin-wrt

http://www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin/

I tested it on my old asus rt-n16 in village, vpn works like a charm.

Edited by Crossy
removed off topic comment

This link/list lead me to a page where i found a custom firmware to an old belkin router i had laying around and not used for years. I managed to flash it and now it thinks its an Asus n56

wasnt able to get net connection, but after some tweaking of net/subnet etc, i got it to work :)

i will try this soloution for now :)

This link/list lead me to a page where i found a custom firmware to an old belkin router i had laying around and not used for years. I managed to flash it and now it thinks its an Asus n56

wasnt able to get net connection, but after some tweaking of net/subnet etc, i got it to work smile.png

i will try this soloution for now smile.png

Nice one. Glad to be of help.

thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, dd-wrt has OpenVPN support -- just download the right package. If you want something reliable and easy, consider the Linksys WRT54GL. I've used those many times and they're great, but not very fast compared to more recent models -- 54 Mbps. I also have an Asus RT-N66U, but that was a pain to install on -- not recommended, although I'm using it for the same purpose as you.

Yes, dd-wrt has OpenVPN support -- just download the right package. If you want something reliable and easy, consider the Linksys WRT54GL. I've used those many times and they're great, but not very fast compared to more recent models -- 54 Mbps. I also have an Asus RT-N66U, but that was a pain to install on -- not recommended, although I'm using it for the same purpose as you.

Asus RT-N66u comes with tomato based firmware and if you don't like it, you can enhance it with merlin wrt, which keeps original features but adds more.

I also have rt-n66u with merlin wrt and everything is much easier to do compared to dd-wrt (including ipkg - optware) especially openvpn client.

I just upload .ovpn file and it configures everything.

Flame posts and replies have been removed.

I'm kinda intrigued as to what flame posts a topic as geeky and benign as routers could have generated?

Then again, this is TVF, people seem to be able to comment negatively about almost anything!