Army road block

Blindside

Just saw a fair sized road block just past one of the main intersections in Kathu. As you come down the hill from Makro and turn left at the lights to go to the golf course and Bang Wad dam.

Mostly motorbikes stopped from what I could see and LOTS of young guys on bikes being frisked, shirts lifted, licenses and so forth. At least 20 military guys, a few carrying some "heat".

Edited by Blindside

We are currently having a rash of burglaries, motorbike knock-down robberies, bag and phone snatchings, probably due to all the unemployed beach workers. It's probably due to that.

I would also add the rapid increase in drug abuse on Phuket, particularly the drug "ice" as another main reason for the recent rise in crime here.

Also, firearms are being found during many searches and arrests now.

• Like 1

We are currently having a rash of burglaries, motorbike knock-down robberies, bag and phone snatchings, probably due to all the unemployed beach workers. It's probably due to that.

Where are you at? I'm not seeing an increase from English language media reports, of course they may well be asked not to report it either and these kind of statistics will evaporate as did traffic fatalities and drownings.

Where are you at? I'm not seeing an increase from English language media reports, of course they may well be asked not to report it either and these kind of statistics will evaporate as did traffic fatalities and drownings.

Where are you at EBlair48?

There has definately been a steep increase in "reported" crimes on Phuket in recent time, much of it violent crimes.

A snapshot of the first page of the Phuket News Forum, at the time of this post, reveals 9 threads are directly related to crimes, out of the 29 threads on that page, and I didn't include beach encroachment threads.

That's approximately 31% of threads, on only just one page of the forum, that are reports of crime, many of them with arrests.

I note that on some days, the percentage is higher.

• Like 1

^ I hadn't noticed but good spot. I am of the opinion it is only the beginning. Do you also think it is correlated to the mass business eradication?

I don't think it would be the workers themselves. If an individual has the motivation, ethics, and morality to "earn" a baht, instead of steal a baht, then I think they will simply find another job, or return home.

However, the worker's boyfriends, living off their partner, may seek to perform criminal acts, in order to maintain their lifestyle.

It's also the young men in gangs, who have no intention of working, that pose the most danger to the community, as well as the ever increasing drug addiction on Phuket that will be a growing problem in the future.

What is of most concern is the increasing level of violence during robberies. Eg. the use of knifes used in stabbings and slashings.

As the easy money from the traditional western tourist market dries up here, crime will become a viable option for many.

Edited by NamKangMan

^ so you agree it is related to the beach clearings?

In my opinion, only a small amount of total crime on Phuket is related to unemployment from the beach clearing, but yes, there would be some crime related to the economic situation some former staff, and their partners, now find themselves in, due to losing their employment.

It has nothing to do with beach clearings.

It's seasonal. Been happening low season after low season and some years a particularly worse.

I remember about 5+ years ago when the attacks on the Kata/Rawai route was the knockdown robbery capital for a while.

I know EBlair48 is having a love affair with the beach clearings and making the whole ordeal a class war but saying crime is on the rise due to the beach clearing is a stretch.

"Been happening low season after low season and some years a particularly worse." - as stated previously, due to the changing demographic of tourists coming to Phuket, economically, there is no more "high season" for Phuket.

I expect crime statistics to have a continuing upward trend on Phuket, regardless of the time of the year.

Are we?

Aren't we????

Just this morning a report of an attempted ATM robbery and a violent attack on a security guard.

Are we?

Aren't we????

Just this morning a report of an attempted ATM robbery and a violent attack on a security guard.

So? That is 'a rash', and the numbers are up compared to previous years?

Are we?

Aren't we????

In my opinion, we are definately seeing more reported crime in the media, than in the past, especially in relation to drug arrests, and drug addiction costs money, which usually comes from crime.

Edited by NamKangMan

Are we?

Aren't we????

In my opinion, we are definately seeing more reported crime in the media, than in the past, especially in relation to drug arrests, and drug addiction costs money, which usually comes from crime.

'we are seeing more reported crime' is easily verifyable. Last time you said this you could not verify this, and I very much doubt you can this time.

Are we?

Aren't we????

I don't have stats for you, but this is the buzz in the police community right now.

@ stevenl

We will never know the true crime statistics on Phuket, from the police, because they would definately "tarnish" Phuket's image, therefore, altered.

All I know, is I am DEFINATELY reading more reports of crime, particularly violent crime and hard drug possession, sale, and use, than I have in the past.

As posted earlier, 31% of threads on the front page of the Phuket News Forum were articles on reports of crime, and on some days, that percentage is higher.

That is one statisitic I can "verify" for you - 100%.

Can you tell me your source that indicates crime is stable, or reducing, on Phuket? No - I didn't think so.

@ stevenl

We will never know the true crime statistics on Phuket, from the police, because they would definately "tarnish" Phuket's image, therefore, altered.

All I know, is I am DEFINATELY reading more reports of crime, particularly violent crime and hard drug possession, sale, and use, than I have in the past.

As posted earlier, 31% of threads on the front page of the Phuket News Forum were articles on reports of crime, and on some days, that percentage is higher.

Can you tell me your source that indicates crime is stable, or reducing, on Phuket? No - I didn't think so.

Where in the thread did I say that?

Oh, and of course you're reading more and more about crimes here, called selective perception.

@ stevenl

Where in the thread did I say that?

Oh, and of course you're reading more and more about crimes here, called selective perception.

"called selective perception" - no, it's actually called reading about more crimes reported in the media. biggrin.png

Just to clarify, for everyone, in your opinion, do you believe crime on Phuket has increased, decreased, or remained stable, in recent time?

Edited by NamKangMan

It's seasonal. Been happening low season after low season and some years a particularly worse.

I remember about 5+ years ago when the attacks on the Kata/Rawai route was the knockdown robbery capital for a while.

I know EBlair48 is having a love affair with the beach clearings and making the whole ordeal a class war but saying crime is on the rise due to the beach clearing is a stretch.

Stretching? Well I find your view a half- marathon of denial.

You will argue the nuking of hundreds of businesses and the loss of thousands of relatively well paying jobs ( not 300 baht a day but 600- 1000 baht) on Phuket over the last 8 weeks or so will have no affect whatsoever on crime increases?

If you say Phuket has low unemployment isn't reasonable those businesses were counted in the mix. But, now that they are gone...no effect?

Even if so, if there is a glut of jobs - If you were making 2 to 3 times the minimum wage for the last several years, or even a decade as one restauranteur I know was, is it fair to ask you to now be happy with minimum wage because suddenly obscure rules, ignored for decades are enforced with a 30 day warning?

So what else is it when low income workers are targeted, but wealthy owners of encroaching resorts are not? How is it not a class war?

What is it when foreigners enjoy breaking the law with impunity regarding land ownership through nominee companies? Or taking prostitutes out of bars? Some laws enforced, other not. Seems to a bit unfair and blatantly clear to me the enforcement is ALL about class.

Can you argue the wealthy in Thailand do not truly consider themselves above lower waged citizens, even denying them their vote!!

"Let them eat sand !!"

Edited by EBlair48

You will argue the nuking of hundreds of businesses and the loss of thousands of relatively well paying jobs ( not 300 baht a day but 600- 1000 baht) on Phuket over the last 8 weeks or so will have no affect whatsoever on crime increases?

If you say Phuket has low unemployment isn't reasonable those businesses were counted in the mix. But, now that they are gone...no effect?

Even if so, if there is a glut of jobs - If you were making 2 to 3 times the minimum wage for the last several years, or even a decade as one restauranteur I know was, is it fair to ask you to now be happy with minimum wage because suddenly obscure rules, ignored for decades are enforced with a 30 day warning?

So what else is it when low income workers are targeted, but wealthy owners of encroaching resorts are not? How is it not a class war?

What is it when foreigners enjoy breaking the law with impunity regarding land ownership through nominee companies? Or taking prostitutes out of bars? Some laws enforced, other not. Seems to a bit unfair and blatantly clear to me the enforcement is ALL about class.

Can you argue the wealthy in Thailand do not truly consider themselves above lower waged citizens, even denying them their vote!!

"Let them eat sand !!"

The "obscure" rules have been bent, twisted & corrupted to the point where in all likelihood some of the people who have been running business on public land truly believe they have done no wrong. At present it looks like those who instigated all this originally are getting off scot free after having made fortunes but I truly hope the good general will deal with them. Remember though that all this corruption is so well entrenched amongst the rich & powerful it is not going to be an easy task but the general's efforts will only be truly credible when some of them are put away for a long time. In all my time here I can only recall an ex health minister & a couple of bankers who have actually done serious jail time.

The rich will not be held accountable, nor will the officials who profited by handing out " permits". It isn't about stopping corruption, it is about making sure only the right people profit and the poor people know their place.

I truly wish I could say more along what I really think but not landing in a martial court does weigh in. I am very very glad to have begun the process of extricating myself from this country. While it is now painful and will be a costly maneuver, financially and emotionally, I think a year from now, I will be glad I did.

Aren't we????

I don't have stats for you, but this is the buzz in the police community right now.

Stats not being kept, or disclosed really tells us crime is increasing, if it were down, that would be made public. Traffic fatalities and drownings are also kept a secret.

Just imagine authorities behaving in a similar way in your home countries, " No, you don't need to know anything.. revealing it makes us look bad." they would be fired and possibly indicted for dereliction.

• Like 1

"Let them eat sand !!"

Whilst I don't fully agree with all of you point of view on this issue, I do note, unfortunately, that Keesin, and his son Prab, two of Phuket's most corrupt individuals, have not been arrested, and in fact, have not really been "touched" by any changes here by the Army.

So, that does tend to give some credence to your argument.

"Let them eat sand !!"

Whilst I don't fully agree with all of you point of view on this issue, I do note, unfortunately, that Keesin, and his son Prab, two of Phuket's most corrupt individuals, have not been arrested, and in fact, have not really been "touched" by any changes here by the Army.

This isn't a job for the Army.

They are here to define borders between public and private land.

It's that simple.

The DSI or whoever is actually in charge of chasing the corrupt.

Get a grip people.

• Like 1

Agree. I also don't see it worse than it has been the last years.

• Like 1

"Let them eat sand !!"

This isn't a job for the Army.

They are here to define borders between public and private land.

It's that simple.

The DSI or whoever is actually in charge of chasing the corrupt.

Get a grip people.

The two most corrupt individuals on Phuket have not really been "touched" by any changes here by the Army is the sentence.

So whomever is in charge, is ignoring the most corrupt individuals......... Do they own the Jet Skis still operating on Patong ?