Army road block

Blindside

It has nothing to do with beach clearings.

It's seasonal. Been happening low season after low season and some years a particularly worse.

I remember about 5+ years ago when the attacks on the Kata/Rawai route was the knockdown robbery capital for a while.

I know EBlair48 is having a love affair with the beach clearings and making the whole ordeal a class war but saying crime is on the rise due to the beach clearing is a stretch.

Stretching? Well I find your view a half- marathon of denial.

You will argue the nuking of hundreds of businesses and the loss of thousands of relatively well paying jobs ( not 300 baht a day but 600- 1000 baht) on Phuket over the last 8 weeks or so will have no affect whatsoever on crime increases?

If you say Phuket has low unemployment isn't reasonable those businesses were counted in the mix. But, now that they are gone...no effect?

Even if so, if there is a glut of jobs - If you were making 2 to 3 times the minimum wage for the last several years, or even a decade as one restauranteur I know was, is it fair to ask you to now be happy with minimum wage because suddenly obscure rules, ignored for decades are enforced with a 30 day warning?

So what else is it when low income workers are targeted, but wealthy owners of encroaching resorts are not? How is it not a class war?

What is it when foreigners enjoy breaking the law with impunity regarding land ownership through nominee companies? Or taking prostitutes out of bars? Some laws enforced, other not. Seems to a bit unfair and blatantly clear to me the enforcement is ALL about class.

Can you argue the wealthy in Thailand do not truly consider themselves above lower waged citizens, even denying them their vote!!

"Let them eat sand !!"

Whilst I don't fully agree with all of you point of view on this issue, I do note, unfortunately, that Keesin, and his son Prab, two of Phuket's most corrupt individuals, have not been arrested, and in fact, have not really been "touched" by any changes here by the Army.

So, that does tend to give some credence to your argument.

This isn't a job for the Army.

They are here to define borders between public and private land.

It's that simple.

The DSI or whoever is actually in charge of chasing the corrupt.

Get a grip people.

So, maybe you can explain why the Thai Army's ONLY focus, at the moment, is beach encroachment.

Why did they chose to enforce this particular law?

Where, and from whom, are they receiving their orders?

I agree that the Thai Army's "job" is not, and should not, be law and order, but Thailand's current circimstances sees that they are, and that should mean ALL laws, not just beach encroachment.

It has nothing to do with beach clearings.

It's seasonal. Been happening low season after low season and some years a particularly worse.

I remember about 5+ years ago when the attacks on the Kata/Rawai route was the knockdown robbery capital for a while.

I know EBlair48 is having a love affair with the beach clearings and making the whole ordeal a class war but saying crime is on the rise due to the beach clearing is a stretch.

Stretching? Well I find your view a half- marathon of denial.

You will argue the nuking of hundreds of businesses and the loss of thousands of relatively well paying jobs ( not 300 baht a day but 600- 1000 baht) on Phuket over the last 8 weeks or so will have no affect whatsoever on crime increases?

If you say Phuket has low unemployment isn't reasonable those businesses were counted in the mix. But, now that they are gone...no effect?

Even if so, if there is a glut of jobs - If you were making 2 to 3 times the minimum wage for the last several years, or even a decade as one restauranteur I know was, is it fair to ask you to now be happy with minimum wage because suddenly obscure rules, ignored for decades are enforced with a 30 day warning?

So what else is it when low income workers are targeted, but wealthy owners of encroaching resorts are not? How is it not a class war?

What is it when foreigners enjoy breaking the law with impunity regarding land ownership through nominee companies? Or taking prostitutes out of bars? Some laws enforced, other not. Seems to a bit unfair and blatantly clear to me the enforcement is ALL about class.

Can you argue the wealthy in Thailand do not truly consider themselves above lower waged citizens, even denying them their vote!!

"Let them eat sand !!"

Whilst I don't fully agree with all of you point of view on this issue, I do note, unfortunately, that Keesin, and his son Prab, two of Phuket's most corrupt individuals, have not been arrested, and in fact, have not really been "touched" by any changes here by the Army.

So, that does tend to give some credence to your argument.

This isn't a job for the Army.

They are here to define borders between public and private land.

It's that simple.

The DSI or whoever is actually in charge of chasing the corrupt.

Get a grip people.

True, unless we happen to be under martial law. ;)

• Like 1

I haven't seen one army road block anywhere since they have been on the island and the usual brown bombers have been quiet on the ticketing front.

I have seen 5-6 Army check points and the usual police ones in Rawai at the "Y", one IFO Icon, several along Visat Rd, some in Karon near Centara, some in Kata 2nd road and on the rd. behind Club Med, and smaller late night, early morning ones on the Kata-Rawai rd. and in Karon Circle. You need to get out more hans.

I haven't seen one army road block anywhere since they have been on the island and the usual brown bombers have been quiet on the ticketing front.

I have seen 5-6 Army check points and the usual police ones in Rawai at the "Y", one IFO Icon, several along Visat Rd, some in Karon near Centara, some in Kata 2nd road and on the rd. behind Club Med, and smaller late night, early morning ones on the Kata-Rawai rd. and in Karon Circle. You need to get out more hans.

Must be a late night thing. I'm usually asleep before 10pm. I'm out and about early and the streets are dead.

I guess we live on different sides of the clock.

Must be a late night thing. I'm usually asleep before 10pm. I'm out and about early and the streets are dead.

I guess we live on different sides of the clock.

Yesterday afternoon there was again a roadblock on Patak Road, coming from Kata before Chalong Circle opposite the Shell station. Many people stopped, quite a few frisked as well. I have seen this roadblock quite often recently.

Yesterday afternoon there was again a roadblock on Patak Road, coming from Kata before Chalong Circle opposite the Shell station. Many people stopped, quite a few frisked as well. I have seen this roadblock quite often recently.

That has been a regular police check point for years and years. Long before the army took control.

That has been a regular police check point for years and years. Long before the army took control.

Yes, very true. Also the one at Icon, the one at the 'Y' in Sai Yuan, all very active and during daylight hours (hence the example for Hans :))

Yes, but now the Thai Army are here, either doing the operation themselves, or supervising the BiB to make sure they are doing their job, these police check points seem to be "real" and not just a grab for bribe money.

Yes, but now the Thai Army are here, either doing the operation themselves, or supervising the BiB to make sure they are doing their job, these police check points seem to be "real" and not just a grab for bribe money.

They never were 'just a grab for bribe money'. Always everybody got stopped and people got fined, those fined received official receipts.

They never were 'just a grab for bribe money'. Always everybody got stopped and people got fined, those fined received official receipts.

That's certainly not what I have personally observed.

Also, I have personally asked people I know who have been stopped, and they have said an "official fine" was not their experience of the incident.

I went through a road block just past the Mazda dealer left off Chao-Fa west on Wednesday early evening.

Bit of frisking going on.

Some young soldier started to wave me down, he had that look on his face - I do this because I can. He had a type of wry grin on his face. Suddenly, this more senior (on both fronts) soldier says something to him and waves me through. No more wry grin. LoL.

Managed to keep the snigger in till I was through.

I went through a road block just past the Mazda dealer left off Chao-Fa west on Wednesday early evening.

Some young soldier started to wave me down, he had that look on his face - I do this because I can. He had a type of wry grin on his face. Suddenly, this more senior (on both fronts) soldier says something to him and waves me through. No more wry grin. LoL.

They're stopping people for a check, and you manage to make it about the soldier waving you down and his motive.

Just saw a fair sized road block just past one of the main intersections in Kathu. As you come down the hill from Makro and turn left at the lights to go to the golf course and Bang Wad dam.

Mostly motorbikes stopped from what I could see and LOTS of young guys on bikes being frisked, shirts lifted, licenses and so forth. At least 20 military guys, a few carrying some "heat".

Carrying heat 555.

Wondering why is it called heat? Coz its made of cold steel?

Just saw a fair sized road block just past one of the main intersections in Kathu. As you come down the hill from Makro and turn left at the lights to go to the golf course and Bang Wad dam.

Mostly motorbikes stopped from what I could see and LOTS of young guys on bikes being frisked, shirts lifted, licenses and so forth. At least 20 military guys, a few carrying some "heat".

Carrying heat 555.

Wondering why is it called heat? Coz its made of cold steel?

Not cold once you have emptied your magazine. wink.png

They're stopping people for a check, and you manage to make it about the soldier waving you down and his motive.

+1

Well he is "surelyright" so maybe we are wrong. LoL.