Stealthy, Razor Thin ATM Insert Skimmers

webfact

Withdrew cash from an atm outside a 7/11 in Pattaya. Shortly after going inside I wasapproached bf an excited swarthy gent waving a thousand baht note.. "Come outside and check your balance" he urged. I followed and he repeated the advice to[insert the card] to check the balance. I pondered long enough to have doubts--and sure enough he fled the scene as they say.I have no doubt i would have been in danger of losing out if I had checked. So beware.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really getting worrisome. I'm going to have to start using ATMs inside of banks.

Does anyone know of any good locations to use ATMs inside of banks in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Patong? Thanks.

Sure. Theres one there, one over there, and another just near there.

Yes but to the left or the right.

jb1

I got done last week. Don't know how they skimmed my card. because its been in the drawer for a few months. But i checked my account and apparently id been shopping in a Gucci store in USA.

Wife

Yingluck is his wife?

• Like 1

I saw the ultimate preventative for somebody using a camera to spot the PIN number.

This guy walks up to the machine, pulls and pokes the card slot checking for a skimming device, inserts his card, pulls a small black rubbish bag from his pocket and inserts his hand into the bag and then proceeds to enter his PIN number.

I think the idea has marketing potential - design a mitten-like "condom" that can be used to make the fingers and keypad invisible to any lurking cameras.

And maybe it could double as a beer can cooler as well. whistling.gif

• Like 1

credit cards are covered, but i dont know about using a visa debit card. think you will just loose your money if you get skimmed

I believe you're correct about a debit card not being covered for a refund. That's my understanding at least. I'll double check next time I call the bank.

Anyone else trying to make sense of that graph? It adds up to over 250 %

USA and Thailand are indeed the top two places in the world for this. But what do those percentages mean?

It is related to the lack of EMV in these countries ATMs. Is this why the banks charge such large fees here in order to cover all this theft?

http://www.prlog.org/12344728-the-european-atm-security-team-east-has-just-published-its-second-european-fraud-update-for-2014.html

Many EU countries are now reporting that losses in the United States are making up the
largest percentage of international losses, where there are no known plans to migrate to
EMV. This is in line with the latest Organised Crime Threat Assessment published by Europol
which states that around 80% of non-EU fraud against EU payment cards is committed in the
United States.
Edited by gregk0543

I got done last week. Don't know how they skimmed my card. because its been in the drawer for a few months. But i checked my account and apparently id been shopping in a Gucci store in USA.

I got the same problem, I was shopping in Las Vegas in the Fossil shop and a couple of others, think thats a watch shop - got it all back but had to sign for it, so lucky I was due a trip home to UK

There is a wonderful Utube vid about makingcard traps out of plastic carton strapping & trapping them just inside the slot. Then Mr baddie appears as a samaritan, advising the punter to put his password 2 or three times in a row to get the card to spit out. Of course when the punter leaves he has the pw and the card. I reckon that one would still work

I saw the ultimate preventative for somebody using a camera to spot the PIN number.

This guy walks up to the machine, pulls and pokes the card slot checking for a skimming device, inserts his card, pulls a small black rubbish bag from his pocket and inserts his hand into the bag and then proceeds to enter his PIN number.

I think the idea has marketing potential - design a mitten-like "condom" that can be used to make the fingers and keypad invisible to any lurking cameras.

And maybe it could double as a beer can cooler as well. whistling.gif

works for those using cameras. No chanxe if they have mounted a manipulated keyboard.

I try to use only the ATM in my building, the security guys sit next to it 24/7. Online banking worries me. I got hacked a few years ago. Took a LOT of phone calls, police reports, the efforts of one very good cop who tracked down the culprits in Singpapore , then finally it took the threat of publicity for the bank to act, they tried every conceivable angle to avoid covering my losses. Lesson learned : always read the fine print : especially the rules and conditions ! Like the one that says 'the bank can change it's rules and conditions at any time and is not obliged to inform customers of said changes'.

Edited by borisloosebrain

Photos of skimmers not showing in article; go to full article.

You would have no idea they were in the ATM slot, incredible!

Maybe institutions have to re-think how customers access accounts/money..... cards are old technology!!

Europe uses chips within the cards, need pin code to get cash or buy on POS terminal.

Unfortunately European cards still have the magnetic strip for use on ATM's in Asia .

Time for Asian banks to move to 21st century.

Belgian debit cards can not be used outside Europe, they are blocked here in Thailand.

I was going to mention that. By the way, U.S. banks still refuse to use the chips. Claim it would be too cumbersome, too expensive, they'd rather pay for insurance to cover the frauds and thefts. Doesn't make sense to me, but they get paid millions of dollars to make decisions like this so it must be smart, amirite?

Maybe institutions have to re-think how customers access accounts/money..... cards are old technology!!

Same ATM card but fingerprint reader for the PIN. I've already seen them.

That's someone who did a web hack and got your number most likely. I got you beat though! Amex called me as they saw suspicious transactions. Yep fraud but same as ypu I still had my card. Here' s the best part. They send me a new card and I left it, sealed in the envelope, on my dresser, unactivated for a week. Amex called again asking about suspicious charges on THE NEW CARD. I told them it was still sealed in the mailing envelope so the only way the number could be stolen was internally at AMEX. She tried to defend her company but eventually conceeded with a sigh.

Same ATM card but fingerprint reader for the PIN. I've already seen them.

You can readily acquire these items online. Not really news. The best ones have pin pads and gsm text capability so the thief never has to come back to the scene. Even when police find one and wait it out, the device is still sending data via cell. One stop shopping at: http://skimmermanufacture.blogspot.com/p/why-gsm-based-atm-skimmers-are-best.html

Another way of lowering your exposure is to keep most of your money in one account that does not have an ATM card. I move money online into a second account with an ATM card. That way any loss from skimming is minimized. I did this at KBank.

me too...

and Bangkok bank has the new chip ATM card...

My wells fargo ATM pin number got stolen somehow...

They wanted to issue a new card and I said no...

It might be the thinnest but if the bank get alerted to it it's in chocolate fire guard territory.

The ATM skimming devices that are successful and you need to be aware of are the ones that look like part of the machine.

The European cards stated in post #23 make no difference, they read the chip with an RFID device install a pinhole camera and have your pin number too unless you cover your fingers up.

These devices are made in Europe not China for once, and they are all over the world in ATM's.

So how secure are these newish Bangkok Bank debit cards with a chip?

Quite safe in my opinion. Criminals will go for easy opportunities which is still copying magnetic stripes from ATM cards. And as all other banks except Bangkok Bank and UOB use magnetic stripes, there is still plenty of opportunity for them.

But if you want to be 100% sure, just go to the teller with your passbook and avoid ATM and debit/credit cards.

credit cards are covered, but i dont know about using a visa debit card. think you will just loose your money if you get skimmed

My card is not a credit card, It is a straight Gold Visa card, money has always been refunded.

But as Neverdie says these scum are Farang from certain countries we will not mention. Remember though that everyone pays for this theft through higher charges. bah.gif

I am not so sure about your last sentence. Banks will always charge as much as they can get away with, just imagine an invention came out right now making it impossible for anyone to ever steal from a bank, no more skimming or getting money fraudulently in any way, do you really think the banks would lower any of what they charge you for anything? No way.