Is there an Expats lobby group to help Expats in Thailand

thhMan

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is an example of what would happen,

there was a village 10 miles or so from our village,

the government wanted to build a new dam, they paid the people around that village big big money for there land,

they didnt want to move far, so a few came to our village and surrounding villages,

the land prices hit the roof, were the young in our village couldnt afford to buy land,

the prices are starting to come down again now,

but the same thing would happen if falang could buy land, more money to buy land,,

its the same in some parts of the uk, just outside london and other big cities were the rich are commuting from villages were now the local young people cant afford to buy houses in the village were maybe there family have lived for years,,

i still dont agree with being able to buy land,

you can own a condo,

im happy with what we have, yes its all in my wifes name, so what,,,

this thread will go on and on,,

i just hope people stay on good terms with each other,

we will all have different opinions,

be good to each other

Buying land is not on top of the list, that would be a nice giveaway. Let´s start with more basic things which we are also not granted. And what´s the difference anyway, a rich Thai family buying all the land and speculate or some pesky Aliens, the result is always the same in every country, prices rise, not just Thailand.

Edited by I knew this would happen

If you want the same rights as a Thai citizen then the answer is to become a Thai citizen. Others on Thaivisa have done it. If you think it's 'too difficult' then you aren't really serious enough about it.

That´s a big hurdle don´t you think? At least some rights should and must be granted through marriage, which is not the case here. And not every country does allow dual citizenship. And who would want to be Thai only?!

To become a Thai citizen you need to have lived and worked there legally for 3 years. You need to pass an exam showing that you can speak Thai to schoolboy level.

To become a British citizen you need to have lived in the UK for 5 years. You need to pass an exam showing that you can speak English. You also need to pass an exam about 'Life in the UK'.

How can you be intergrated into a society if you have no rights.

Yeah, my wife has all rights in Germany and only had to sign up for her fkn Visa ONCE and we´ve never ever ever ever ever ever been bothered again with some stupid address reporting or renewing anything. 100% Social security, owning land, working, citizenship, support when studying, whatever a foreigner can hope for is possible thumbsup.gif

I know this is a dead horse but I can´t stop blameing the Thais for the way they treat foreigners although we´re married to on of their precious Thai citizens sick.gif

So when I learned "how welcome" I´m in Thailand I´m not very willing to integrate as I´m hardly tolerated. Yes I learned to read and write Thai but only to get to know the enemy biggrin.png I stay away from integrating or trying to feel at home as this isn´t my home and never will be, so why should I care a lot? Waste of my time......

Nothing will change for us, a Lobby? Would be great, but who will listen to these pesky Farangs. Always demanding huamn rights, lol.

l beatdeadhorse.gifviolin.gif

This post sums it all up. It's the beginning and the end of the discussion. Simply nothing more to add to the subject.

Cheers.

If you want the same rights as a Thai citizen then the answer is to become a Thai citizen. Others on Thaivisa have done it. If you think it's 'too difficult' then you aren't really serious enough about it.

That´s a big hurdle don´t you think? At least some rights should and must be granted through marriage, which is not the case here. And not every country does allow dual citizenship. And who would want to be Thai only?!

To become a Thai citizen you need to have lived and worked there legally for 3 years. You need to pass an exam showing that you can speak Thai to schoolboy level.

To become a British citizen you need to have lived in the UK for 5 years. You need to pass an exam showing that you can speak English. You also need to pass an exam about 'Life in the UK'.

You see, the "work" thing is not so easy for some. My main income is my business back home. For the UK/EU it´s enough when you are with your husband/wife to claim citizenship (which you actually don´t need anyway as the only advantage will be going to elections)

Uuuhuhhhh.... Except you need a work permit you thoroughly mistaken one, and many of us don't work, don't need to work, but do contribute millions to our respective families..... Now trot off and get educated about citizenship and PR then come back and post something sensible to the debate, there's a good chap.

Uuuhuhhhh.... Except you need a work permit you thoroughly mistaken one, and many of us don't work, don't need to work, but do contribute millions to our respective families..... Now trot off and get educated about citizenship and PR then come back and post something sensible to the debate, there's a good chap.

this is ok,

but the OP, said he wanted land in his name, he wanted to start a business for his children, he can do that, in his childrens name and let his wife run it,

he the OP just wanted everything in his name,,

If you don't fulfill the requirements for citizenship then the Thai government doesn't want you as a citizen. I know that may be a bitter pill to swallow but it is what it is.

That's the most sensible thing you'll read all day.

• Like 1

You see, the "work" thing is not so easy for some. My main income is my business back home. For the UK/EU it´s enough when you are with your husband/wife to claim citizenship (which you actually don´t need anyway as the only advantage will be going to elections)

You think that the only advantage of UK citizenship is being able to vote? How about a passport that will get you into any country in the world? How about access to the full range of social, medical and educational services that are on offer?

Whats the point of having such groups ?We have al seen and read the opinion of certain Thai politicians be they red or yellow concerning foreigners in Thailand in the English language press even ambassadors to Thailand have so many times been in meetings with Thai officials expressing their concerns about certain incidents with tourists and expats at the end of the day nothing changed.

There are a few right wing nutter politicians and groups in Thailand who would to like see al foreigners out of the country period, saw a television program about said people a few years back and they make some right wing groups in europe look like pussy's after expressing their views scary people.

Do any of the said people/groups have names?

. You also need to pass an exam about 'Life in the UK'.

"Pass rate

Of the 906,464 tests taken between 2005 and 2009, 263,641 were failed (a pass rate of 70.9%). The results of candidates from countries with a strong tradition of immigration to the UK were variable. The pass rates for people from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States were all above 95%. In contrast, the pass rates for people from Iraq, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Turkey were below 50%. The largest single country of origin was India, with just over 100,000 tests taken and 79,229 passed (79.2%).[20] These results are comparable to those from previous years.[21]A sample test taken by 11,118 British citizens had a pass rate of only 14%.[22]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_in_the_United_Kingdom_test

Next!

Edited by chiang mai

If you don't fulfill the requirements for citizenship then the Thai government doesn't want you as a citizen. I know that may be a bitter pill to swallow but it is what it is.

It's no bitter pill, as I believe it is an unjust anomaly (for married men folk like me) (for women the law is different) which will be changed in the fullness of time. A form of lobbying which is exactly what this thread prescribes is something of interest to me. I understand your blinkered approach to an issue which doesn't concern you. Perhaps just best to shut gob and let more informed people to discuss issues that matter to them (!) amongst themselves.

"Pass rate

Of the 906,464 tests taken between 2005 and 2009, 263,641 were failed (a pass rate of 70.9%). The results of candidates from countries with a strong tradition of immigration to the UK were variable. The pass rates for people from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States were all above 95%. In contrast, the pass rates for people from Iraq, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Turkey were below 50%. The largest single country of origin was India, with just over 100,000 tests taken and 79,229 passed (79.2%).[20] These results are comparable to those from previous years.[21]A sample test taken by 11,118 British citizens had a pass rate of only 14%.[22]"

Next!

"“What these statistics show is that walking into the test without proper preparation is a recipe for failure - even British nationals struggle answering many of the questions,” Dillon said. “But these figures reflect people who haven’t studied for the test."

http://lifeintheuk.net/index.php/news/polish_score_top_marks_in_britishness_test/

It's no bitter pill, as I believe it is an unjust anomaly (for married men folk like me) (for women the law is different) which will be changed in the fullness of time. A form of lobbying which is exactly what this thread prescribes is something of interest to me. I understand your blinkered approach to an issue which doesn't concern you. Perhaps just best to shut gob and let more informed people to discuss issues that matter to them (!) amongst themselves.

It's a shame that you can't manage a discussion where others disagree with you without descending to personal insults.

Edited by sustento

You haven't made inquiries into getting citizenship have you?

You DON'T have to pass a Thai exam.

You DON'T have to work - paying taxes on 40k is enough.

For years, I've heard all this barstool nonsense about how citizenship is impossible. As Sustento points out it's easier than getting British citizenship.

It's a shame that you can't manage a discussion where others disagree with you without descending to personal insults.

"Ha Ha" aint that the Pot calling the Kettle black ?

• Like 1

Sostento. Personal insults? Please quote them, as opposed to pretending something has been said when you know full well the discussion has been amicable up to this point. Your comment is the classic deflection of someone not wanting to contribute more, or someone who has been rumbled!

"Pass rate

Next!

"“What these statistics show is that walking into the test without proper preparation is a recipe for failure - even British nationals struggle answering many of the questions,” Dillon said. “But these figures reflect people who haven’t studied for the test."

http://lifeintheuk.net/index.php/news/polish_score_top_marks_in_britishness_test/

You miss the point, the test is supposed to be representative of a UK citizens knowledge of the UK, not a test that has to be studied for! If native Brits have to study for a test about their own country, something is missing in the equation - let me repeat that in a different way, 86% of native Brits couldn't pass the test and wouldn't be allowed to move there were they not borne their in the first place, does government expect more out of immigrants! It's not a good scenario.

Sostento. Personal insults? Please quote them, as opposed to pretending something has been said when you know full well the discussion has been amicable up to this point. Your comment is the classic deflection of someone not wanting to contribute more, or someone who has been rumbled!

I consider being told " Perhaps just best to shut gob " a personal insult. Perhaps you may not. I'm not quite sure what I've been 'rumbled' of though. You make it sound like some sort of competition.

"Pass rate

Next!

You miss the point, the test is supposed to be representative of a UK citizens knowledge of the UK, not a test that has to be studied for! If native Brits have to study for a test about their own country, something is missing in the equation - let me repeat that in a different way, 86% of native Brits couldn't pass the test and wouldn't be allowed to move there were they not borne their in the first place, does government expect more out of immigrants! It's not a good scenario.

But they were born there and thus have no need to pass the test.

If someone wants to become a UK citizen I do expect them to make a bit of an effort. I know a whole bunch of Thais who've passed the Life in the UK test and gone on to become British citizens. None of them thought that they were being discriminated against by being made to take the test.

The test consists of 24 multiple choice questions and you have 45 minutes to answer them. All the winners get a UK passport. Not bad for a bit of reading.

I hope the idea to do it will find somebody with some kind of influence to create it. A foreigner with a very positive and important contribution to Thailand, even a foreign diplomat active in the Asean market. Thailand will have to adapt its immigration and business rules to the Asean community, sooner or later, if do not want to be discriminated.

I'm out.

Lol. He (sussento) is just confused and a thoroughly mistaken old chap.

More insults. BTW you could at least try and spell my name correctly. That's twice you've got it wrong.

Of course you may have just spelt it wrong yourself. Just how did you say it was pronounced?smile.png

I'm out.

Lol. He (sussento) is just confused and a thoroughly mistaken old chap.

More insults. BTW you could at least try and spell my name correctly. That's twice you've got it wrong.
OK ... Let me spell it out to you nice and slowly....

I think you are thoroughly mistaken old chap.

Edited by iancnx

I agree it's ridiculous. The govt here is happy for us farungs to spend our money here but give us stuff all rights. But I guess we all know that

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

There there, what rights do you want, do you want the vote perhaps? I know, you want to own a house - well you can, you just can't own the land. And you can own the land, if you have enough money (BOI scheme) or if you become a citizen.

Or perhaps you were just having a whinge.

BTW it's farang.

How about this for wording of the deal?

The Kingdom of Thailand and the (insert your country here), desirous of promoting friendly relations traditionally existing between them and of encouraging mutually beneficial trade and closer economic and cultural intercourse between their peoples, have resolved to conclude a Treaty of Friendship and Economic Relations.

Then you could write something like....

Nationals of either Party shall, subject to the laws relating to the entry and sojourn of aliens, be permitted to, enter the territories of the other Party, to travel therein freely. and to reside at places of their choice and in particular to enter the territories of the other Party and to remain therein of the purpose of : (a) carrying on trade between the territories of the two Parties and engaging in related commercial activities; or (developing and directing the operations of an enterprise in which they have invested or are actively in process of investing a substantial amount of capital.

What do you think?

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1